View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #40
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by tremonti4life04) Hendrix is highly overrated. Yes, he did make his guitar squeal like a pig for his whole career, he wasnt that great of a guitar player tho, he wasnt technical, and didnt have the finess that later guitarists achieved. He wasnt as awesome as everyone thinks he is, i can play most hendrix licks on guitar, but i have a hard time touching on One Day Remains, so im telling you this from my personal opinion.

I think you pretty much bastardize an entire generation of blues guitarists. Technically is not everthing, but if you want to say he isn't techincal you try to pull off, all the bends, pull offs hammer ons and all the small things that he did. Jimi Hendrix revolutionized the guitar, most of the techinics were new for his time, in fact none of the guitarists you mentioned would exist if it weren';t for him. He brought the ever ounce of soul out of the guitar. I fail to see how he is over-rateed. Like i said technicality isn't everything, why do you think Santana is considered so good? In one of his songs he plays one note for about a minute, but it is revered by guitarists as baddass, why is that? Because it has so much soul!