View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #32
Chase
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I don't think that Stapp is in denial... I do, however, think that he handled himself the way he did to show that he wouldn't stoop to Tremonti's level of bashing. It felt weird seeing other guys play "Higher." But you have to remember that "Higher" was the song that put Creed into the elite of rock and from a marketing standpoint I can understand why he used that song as a promotion tool for his solo efforts. I didn't mind it so much on the radio tour that he did late last year, but seeing it performed on national television with the full band wasn't something that I wanted to see. He's only been playing "Higher" with the exception of "With Arms Wide Open" which was played once. I honestly don't foresee him playing a bunch of Creed songs when he goes on tour to support his new CD. I just think that he was trying to pull in the listeners who were familiar with Creed because they enjoyed "Higher." While I've thought that Tremonti's comments have been tacky and immature in the past, Stapp has gone down to that level. The two men may have had an agreement. But Tremonti's been ragging on Stapp since day 1, almost to the point where I feel like gagging. It's repetitive and childish. One thing that Stapp is infamous for is his temper. He probably said "Screw the agreement, I'm going to play what I want to play." Although I think it's wrong for him to exploit Creed's past for his own gain, I'm still not shocked that he withdrew the agreement after being attacked left and right. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't been bashing the rest of the band in public in response to all of the negative criticism he's been getting.

One more thing, I don't think it's our place to judge Stapp's relationship with God either. Struggling Christians do things that they probably shouldn't do. But give the guy the benefit of the doubt when he says that he's trying his best to reconcile with God. Even Christians sin and mess up. I'm only defending Stapp because I feel that it's not right to say "That's not a very Christian thing to do... blah blah blah" because every Christian on the planet has sinned. His faith doesn't concern us, his music does. Bottom line: Stapp shouldn't be playing Creed songs and Tremonti needs to get the picture that just about everyone on the planet knows about why he hates Stapp. Neither of what they're doing is benefiting anybody.