View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 01:08 PM   #24
I'mRational
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) From the RIAA wesbsite....

"The RIAA® Gold® and Platinum® Awards program was launched in 1958 in an effort to create a standard by which to measure sales of a sound recording. In the beginning, there was only a Gold® album award for the sale of 500,000 copies. As the industry grew, other awards were developed. The Platinum® award (1,000,000 sold) was created in 1976 and with the advent of the compact disc and the subsequent increase in sales, the Multi-Platinum™ award was created in 1984. On March 16, 1999, the RIAA® launched the Diamond® Awards, honoring sales of 10 million copies or more of an album or single."

It's 500,000 SOLD, not shipped.

Sorry, I didn't think to add this to my reply. Here is a link for more info on certifications....

http://www.riaa.com/gp/certification/default.asp

This question was raised in another forum, and the above was my reply.
From the information given by they RIAA, Alter Bridge has not earned a Certified Gold Record. At least not by the standards given here. If in fact Michael you think they are wrong...by all means send them an e-mail, and alert them to please update their info....

Actually, it is based on shipment minus returns. AB is certified Gold, but it takes a while for Certifications to be made public. From RIAA.com:

We are often asked why we don’t just use sales figures from SoundScan. SoundScan measures over-the-counter sales at music retail locations, while the RIAA®'s certification levels are based on unit shipments (minus returns) from manufacturers to a wide range of accounts, including non-retail record clubs, mail order houses, specialty stores, units shipped for Internet fulfillment or direct marketing sales, such as TV-advertised albums. The other difference is that SoundScan's archive is only a few years old, while the RIAA® has tracked artists' sales levels for more than 40 years.