View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 05:32 AM   #12
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Rune) the difference between stapp and myles is obvious, though who is better is everyone's opinion.

Personally I think stapp convey's a bit more emotion because he uses a raspy voice, and that just generally gives a much more emotional involvement in the song.

Myles has incredible control and also can hit a lot of high notes, which convey emotion just as much as rasp does, but you don't sing all high notes, while you can rasp on any note you want.

Another consideration i don't think people have thought about is that in the long run, Myles is the better vocalist, not because of his range, but because of that very same rasp that stapp uses. When a vocalist uses that raspiness on his singing, he is basically taking his vocal chords, gripping them tight and not letting them move, and then pushing tons of air through them. This can cause extreme sore throats and some times can cause polyps (very bad, requires surgery).

In the long run Myles will far outlast Stapp, he will sound better at the end of the sets as well (listen to concerts aside from the house of blues and you'll hear what i mean, stapp at the beginning sounds awesome, but by the end he is hoarse). Myles will be able to sing entire sets and still sound just as great at the end as he does at the beginning.

A similar example i could give is with james hetfield of metallica. Up until the black album hetfield sang with his classic raspy voice, but he was disappointed with the way he sounded at the end of sets because he became hoarse. He started taking voice lessons post black album, and now he does what i do: throw the rasp in on the occasional parts where it's appropriate and sounds good, but otherwise sing similar to how myles does. This allows the "rock" feel of a performance to remain, while not damaging your vocal chords nearly as much.

All those concerts that had to be canceled because of scott's throat were largely due to his overuse of the raspy voice (not saying it sounds bad at all, i love it, but as good as it sounds, it's only to his detriment). There will be far fewer cancelled tour dates with Myles' style of singing.

That's just something for anyone here who's had a show canceled on them to chew on

Alright that's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth or move to canada and double it.

that is a very good overview and i think are you spot on. i would conclude just by this very simple statement.

Myles-better vocalist quite easily with more range and control and he can seriously shred as well.
Stapp-the better frontman and entertainer and i can also identify with his lyrics which i also feel are better.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie