View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
Finaldecision
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: anyone else concerned about Stapp's vocals?

The VH-1 video of Bullets was awesome! Stapp was not perfect at hitting every little note, but it was still OK and compared to some performances of the Weathered days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOeF5S2PTg) it was outstanding, also because he managed to hold the audience and put the right aggression into the "Look at me!" - part that this song is asking for.

The reason some things sound "flat" might as well be due to the fact they tuned the songs down. And the reason they tune it down is that they want to treat his voice with care, so he can manage to make it through the whole tour.
You also have to mind that he just recorded a new album and that the band was rehearsing a few days before, so he has already strained his voice in the last weeks.

I'm not saying that his vocals were absolutely perfect, there's still many things that could be improved and that might improve during the tour. But I think he found a good balance to preserve his voice on the one hand and make it a stirring perfomance on the other. And to find such a balance is not only important to make it through a tour, it's a sign of preffesionalism. Maybe the lessons with this vocal coach pay off now.