View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #14
shunammite
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I am so relatively new to rock in this generation, I'm not really qualified to talk about this. It was because of my oldest son's mental illness that I got drawn back to the world of Rock, it's another way to talk about God besides "religion".

I knew the music of the sixties and early seventies and that's it.

But have lately come to love Creed Metallica AIC Tool Incubus and a few other things here and there.

But re covers, sometimes I think another artist can do a MUCH BETTER JOB than the person who wrote it.

The BYRDS were MUCH BETTER than Dylan on his songs. Dylan should kiss their feet for the interpretations they did, and he probably DID!

I have Cash's Solitary Man, it has a song by Nick Cave, The Mercy Seat, it sends CHILLS UP YOUR SPINE, I haven't heard the Nick Cave version but it CAN'T be as good! I notice Cave sings with Cash on his new cd, so he must have liked it too.

I think Creed's I'm Eighteen and Riding on the Storm are are really awesome. I wonder if it's just not feeling "established" enough that kept them from doing covers. Needing to feel strong themselves first.

I heard the original of Metallica's So What a few days ago, Het put a lot more into it.

If a band does a cover because they believe in it, it becomes theirs too. Some artists never do anything BUT covers, Frank Sinatra for one.