View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
shunammite
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Why put down one to raise another? (Although I did read Maynard doing that in an interview once, it was Fred Durst he was dissing, too! I hope I never see the day Stapp disses another artist in print. He has dissed the "media" but I don't think he ever attacked anyone personally. However he's human, he may eventually. But the idea is right, to do good not by attacking evil but by doing more good.)

I love Tool.

Whether or not something is very popular is not really a guide to how Good it is.

Some people think most of their fellow men are low MORONS and therefore whatever is "popular" must be CRAP.

But you know that is not true.

However sometimes it IS true. Sometimes things get "popular" just because the herd gets spooked in a particular direction, "bandwagon appeal". But sometimes things get popular because they strike a deep common chord that every person has, if they are honest enough to admit it. And they strike that chord helpfully.

Tool isn't "popular" in the way Creed is because on the surface they seem so ANGRY. But I hear the same ideas in Lateralus that I hear in Weathered. More complex, "deeper" maybe, but in the end it's about HOW to "just give love to all". Maynard goes more into why it's so HARD.

I know the pieces fit, I saw them fall away. Wear your grudge like a crown, unable to forgive all your scarlet lettermen, desperate to control. Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed brothers, tell us the truth now, but tell it nicely.

Giving ourselves to each other to rest our heads on, I'm covered with skin and it peels and it just won't heal, please come now, I think I'm falling, holding on to all I thought was safe. Just give love to all.