View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Aaron Lewis explains why he covered "Black"

Staind hasn't heard from Pearl Jam about cover version

Staind singer Aaron Lewis performed a special rendition of Pearl Jam's "Black" for inclusion on the Family Values 2001 live album which arrived in stores last spring, which was one of the highlights of the album. Lewis meant the performance as a special tribute to Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder.

Nearly six months after the track's release, LAUNCH asked Lewis if he's gotten any feedback from Eddie Vedder or the members of Pearl Jam on the song. Here's what Aaron had to say: "No, actually. I know that they had to hear it and had to OK it before it got put on the record. It's on the record, but I haven't actually personally heard anything from them. The whole reason why I chose to do the song is because I was told he was going to be there that night. It was just kind of my way of paying homage to the man. I dunno, I guess he wasn't there, but it came out pretty good.

Staind also contributed the live tracks "Fade" and "It's Been Awhile." Deadsy's cover of Rush's "Tom Sawyer" was also included in Family Values 2001.

Staind is set to release MTV2: Unplugged DVD on 11.12.

http://www.947thezone.com/viewentry...237690&pt=trans

I do know that Eddie has expressed dissapointment about not Aaron not seeking permission (he wanted royalties to go to charity) but they surely don't seek permission every song they cover. i really like Aaron's tribute, whatever you think of Staind he put his heart and soul into this performance.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie