Thread: Grown tired
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #19
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I think creedsister is making a poetic point.
A Person can be self explanatory.
A religious book of any kind cannot. I like how Art Sippo disproves sola scriptura:

In fact, every religious book -- the Koran, the Book of Mormon, the Avesta, the Bagahvad Gita, the Upanishads, the Urantia Book, etc. -- all make similar claims about themselves. Every devotee of these religious works with whom I have spoken has told me how the words of their sacred book "burned within" them. Funny inner feelings prove nothing.

Kurt Goedel the great meta-mathematician proved in his 2nd Incompleteness Theorem that it is impossible to prove the epistemic consistency of a formal system from within that system. He demonstrated this by showing that the Liar Paradox of Epimenides (I am lying.) was actually an axiom of arithmetic.
Godel showed that consistency can only be proven by assuming a perspective from outside the system. This process has been called "goedelization." (Interestingly, the catholic Philosopher Gabriel Marcel used a similar idea that he called 'secondary perspective' as the basis for a Catholic form of existential philosophy.)
In short, it has been demonstrated rigorously with mathematical precision that the whole scheme of Sola Scriptura is irrational and absurd. The Bible cannot reveal itself. It must be revealed to us by an external authority.

It reminds me of the old Star Trek episode when Spock and Kirk were over-loading a computer that controlled a whole world. Spock, who always tells the truth, said, "I am lying".
Is he lying or is he telling the truth?

Of course, computer-gone-bad blew up.
“There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing.”

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen