View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #52
RalphyS
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Teacher on leave after alleged anti-Bush words

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) you make it sound as though he's contradicting anything anyone else said. i think we all pretty much agree that debate is a good thing. this debate, strangely, breaks down such that those of us who live in the US feel it's not exactly appropriate for teachers to be bringing their own personal beliefs into the classroom. you'uns are making it sound like we're trying to suppress any debate that can speak negatively of our President.

I guess there is a thin line here, because the teacher has some sort of authority, but at least on college level there could be some sort of discussion/arguement between teacher and student. I suspect that Chase argues with teachers, who present a too liberal view on history as he sees it, and I think a class could benefit from arguements and debate like we have here, to see the pro's and cons of both sides and form an opinion.

As stated before I think the facts are the smallest part of history and not the parts that we can learn from most. When I look at history, the question should always be why and not when or who, sure as part of your knowledge the latter part have some importance too, but the reasons why history played out as it did, this helps us in our present to avoid making the same mistakes.

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl