View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Faceless Man had me confused for a while.... I don't know what Stapp himself has said about this, but I'll give you my opinions:

First of all, the person Stapp sees in the water is NOT the "Faceless Man," because, if he was faceless, how could he be the reason Stapp sees "a face on the water." So obviously Stapp is seeing and describing someone, but it's not the "Faceless Man."

Looking at the lyrics, I think the face he sees is either Christ, or someone trying to live like Him. "His yoke is easy, and His burden is light" proves that; just go to Matthew 11:30. Also "He looked me right in the eyes, direct and concise, to remind me to always do what's right." It's quite possible that Stapp is looking at his reflection, because he's seeing a face on the water. But I think these phrases point to Christ. (If Christ doesn't have the "will of a warrior", then, tell me, who on earth does?)

Stapp sings time and again that he stands "against the Faceless Man," which, I guess, could mean opposite, as in a reflectin, but I think it's more of a thing like he'll stand up for what he believes in no matter what others may say or do. The Faceless Man, in my opinion, is someone who does not act upon what he or she professes to believe in, or perhaps persecutes others for their beliefs. "If the face inside can't see the light, I know I'll have to walk alone. And if I walk alone to the other side, I know I might not make it home." This is referring to living righteously, trying to make it to Heaven by seeing the light.

I don't know if I make sense, and I'm probably wrong, but this is just my crazy opinion.
--Chevelle, "Don't Fake This"

"It feels so good to reunite,
Within yourself and within your mind.
Let's find peace there..."
--Creed, "My Sacrifice"