View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Scorpion King
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Some Creed Legacy Questions...

Quote: 1. Why do so many people have a hard time admitting they like Creed's music?

Probably because, since so many people dislike Creed, the people that do like the band don't want to seem "uncool" by admitting that they are fans. I for one have no qualms abut saying that I'm a Creed fan, but I can't speak for other people

Quote: 2. To this day, I've never heard any member of Creed say they were a Christian band. Why do some people insist that they are? And the further question is...even if some people insist that Creed was a Christian band, why do those people have to hate Creeds music. I mean if it rocks...it rocks right? Plus if they were a Christian band...would Creed's music ever have been played on Rock radio stations???

Whether or not they were truly a Christian band, you can't deny that they had some pretty explicitly Christian songs on their first album, like My Own Prison, Illusion, and America. I think that's what may have originally got them to be noticed, and people early on came to associate Christian messages with their music, even if later songs had very little in terms of Christian messages. And even in later works, there was heavy Christian imagery and literary phrasings, like in Faceless and Freedom Fighter. People just came to associate Christian messages with their music, and it was a perception that the band was never really able to shake.

About Christian bands not being played on rock radio, what you said is not exactly true. A number of Christian bands like P.O.D. and Switchfoot have gotten considerable airplay on rock radio right alongside secular bands.

Quote: Just hoping to get some discussion going on here. To millions of people in this country...Creed freakin' ROCKED for a good while. They are one of the best selling artist of all-time. Why did the perception change?

They did rock, and you have to remember that in the early 2000s, when Creed hatred (and popularity) was at its highest, they still sold millions and had one more number one album. Thus, I don't think that all of the slander really affected the core Creed fanbase.

I made a really long thread a while ago as to why I think Creed became so hated. To sum things up, I said that it was a combination of the confusion over whether or not they were a Christian band, Stapp's outrageous behavior, the accusations that Creed ripped off ealier grunge bands, people getting tired of hearing Creed songs on the radio all the time, and a general backlash against post-grunge music, which was quickly becoming very generic and tedious, which caused the public to turn against the band. Other bands have suffered from these kinds of problems and public images, but Creed was unlucky enough to have all of these things coalesce around it at the same time, creating a very negative image.