Thread: Daily Bread
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #3030
Sasa
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Daily Bread

The Death/Rebirth of Iggy

Iggy was/is a bearded dragon. My youngest (13yrs) is an animal lover she has a room full of pets of all kinds, and she takes very good care of them. Feeds and cleans the cages, buys them toys, communicates..etc.

A woman came to their school with pets, reptiles, and introduced all of them to her pet bearded dragon, full grown, 2 feet in length. My daughter fell in love with it. She pleaded her case to me of which I was a little hesitant, I was never much of a reptile person. She did all the research and convinced me this was a good purchase. She saved her birthday money that people from all over.."magically" gave her. One person in the family up and gave her $100 out of blue of which almost choked me to death. It was just enough to purchase her dream pet and its new home.

I took her to the pet store where one little guy was waiting on her with his little foot placed squarely on the front of the terrarium almost as if he knew she was coming to get him. She said "He's the One" I agreed, I said,"He was waiting for you." She purchased everything she needed..lights, live crickets, books, rocks, carpeting. The bill was over $200. But she saved her money and made her own purchase.

Every morning she feeds this creature, every afternoon after school she feeds him again. I know that bond is tight because they spend so much time together.

We also have a cat named Gracie, Cats like to eat lizards, better yet they like to kill them. One day we accidently left her in the house. Upon our arrival home Iggy's terrarium was demolished...the entire top had been broken into.
The cat had the lizard in the kitchen floor of which I saved him. He had nothing wrong with him, he cheated death.

One night recently, weeks after this incident, I left her in to sleep, certain that she would not attempt such a thing in the presence of my daughter. And certainly aware that I would awake on hearing something if she attempted to be mischievious.

I was wrong, Dead Wrong. In the middle of the night she murdered Iggy. I can't tell you how bad I felt, my heart sank when I found his little mangled body in the living room floor, breathless. My daughter, cried and cried and cried, I have never seen her so upset over the loss of a pet. We have lost a lot of pets in the past and she was fine. But this one is special, and while I held her saying, I'm so sorry, over and over....Something happened.

In the midst of our sorrow over Iggy, I felt an image of him being in the pet store...AGAIN. I said to her you know every thing in life teaches us lessons, even the hard stuff like this right here, and I don't know where the words came from but they began pouring out of me. I said get dressed, Iggy is waiting for you in the pet store, His spirit just transferred into another body, He is teaching us something. She skipped school that day and we went to the pet store where you guessed it, Iggy was sitting on a rock way up high looking dead at her.
Interestingly while I was in the kitchen and she was in the bathroom getting ready to go. We both had a simultaneous image of buying him a plant. We hadn't bought him any plants in the past. He only had a rock to sit on. I told her we need to buy him a plant this time. She said I had the exact same thought. (at the same time) We bought him a big plant and now he stays in that plant, we can't get him out of it.

Was there any truth in Iggy's reincarnation? Or did I just make that up...I don't know for sure but I do know that it stopped my daughter's tears and mended her broken heart. Gracie has been banned from the inside of the house until Iggy is full grown.

Iggy's appetite has increased and he is growing quickly and needless to say after all this drama, I have become a reptile lover.

Pic of a full grown Bearded Dragon. Ummm...He is our baby. ;-) Just sayin'
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tagame_fcm.jpg

Have an Amazing Day after you read the next POST on Lizard Medicine!

Last edited by Sasa : 09-14-2012 at 06:16 AM.