View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 01:09 AM   #51
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I think it's a little more complicated than that. The record labels wield quite a bit of control, financially and marketing/radio play-wise. It really depends on the deal they worked out. I'm not saying Creed are guiltless in this. It all boils down to how much money they want to make. Often, if a band wants commercial success, at least in these times, it has to give up some sort of creative control and adapt/change to what the labels believe will sell a million copies. There are several bands out there who are eschewing the major labels and going it alone, through the web or through their own companies. They don't get radio play because they can't afford to pay the station owners enough to play their stuff. Distribution deals are also key. Most of these bands going it alone tour and sell their CDs directly to fans. So yes, I agree that ultimately the responsiblity lies with the artist as far as what they want to create, but getting it out there is another story. Creed are established enough now, financially and otherwise, to be bold and do something that doesn't necessarily pander to the masses.