View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 03:29 AM   #83
Hotdoggie
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Answer these questions to determine your World View

I only have one question to answer and it's number 5:

5. What is the basis of morality and ethics?

First of all I have to say that there isn't just one basis of morality and ethics, they always and they depend on the country you live in, but it all comes down to 3 major basis or codes ( they've been "discovered" in the 18th century around 1770):
1) The code of Nature : this code is mostly used in tropical and african countries, the inhabitants follow Nature's law, they follow their physical actions, what they want to do they do it, they don't have any religion or law, it's like the jungle law.
2) The code of Religion : this one is pretty obvious, people follow the rules of the Sacred Book (like the Bible or the Qur'an) they don't do anything that doesn't apply to the religious code or they may have sinned.
3) The civil code : this one too is obvious, it applies to the country's law and order, if people don't follow the rules they are emprisonned or so, of course the law depending on the country you live in, things are legalized in USA that aren't in Europe.

All in all: the ethics depend of the morality and the morality depends on the code chosen, philosophers prefer the Nature's code but the problem is we cannot apply such a code in civilised countries because it hasn't been in their "habits", it would shock the religious and civilised persons.
If you need any information on any of these codes I'd be happy to help because this is only a summary.