CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why didn't Weathered sell as much as Human Clay? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=11769)

Scorpion King 09-03-2007 05:43 PM

Why didn't Weathered sell as much as Human Clay?

I'm just curious as to what you think as to why Weathered didn't sell quite as much as Human Clay. I personally think that it was because Human Clay didn't have quite the punch that My Own Prison did, and that all of the controversy surrounding Creed also hurt things.

Dogstar 09-03-2007 06:58 PM

Re: Why didn't Weathered sell as much as Human Clay?

I think you mean Weathered, right? Human Clay was their biggest selling album, I believe. Anyway, I think it was way more poppy than rock, at least it was to me. It didn't have staying power with me. I still love HC and MOP and listen to them, but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Weathered. Has to be a good four years ago. Still, I think it sold 8 million copies, which I think was more than MOP. That's a lot considering the times.

Scorpion King 09-03-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I think you mean Weathered, right? Human Clay was their biggest selling album, I believe. Anyway, I think it was way more poppy than rock, at least it was to me. It didn't have staying power with me. I still love HC and MOP and listen to them, but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Weathered. Has to be a good four years ago. Still, I think it sold 8 million copies, which I think was more than MOP. That's a lot considering the times.

Yes, Human Clay was the one that sold the most. What I was trying to say that I think that it was Human Clay that was the poppiest, and thus some people might have become disillusioned with Creed because of it. It's of course still an awesome album. I actually think that Weathered is their strongest album of all, with the best diversity in the songs.

And yeah, selling 8 million copies is pretty impressive, considering downloading and such.

Dogstar 09-03-2007 08:22 PM

Hmmm, that may be true about HC. I still find Weathered poppier, though. I don't know why, for me it just had that sort of vibe. It still has some good songs on it, though.

RMadd 09-03-2007 11:06 PM

I think it was b/c Weathered's hits weren't as huge as Higher and WAWO. Say what you will about how popular My Sacrifice & One Last Breath were, but Higher received a ton of airplay both on modern rock & more general (modern) stations. WAWO, meanwhile, even got played on some softer-rocking stations, so you have a bunch of older women that liked one song and went out & bought the album solely b/c they loved that one song. It's not that 8 million is a small number, it's just that, to be certified Diamond, an album usually has to have a lot of cross-over appeal. And HC had just that. MOP was quite a bit darker, and largely played on modern rock stations. And while songs from Weathered, as with those from HC, were played all over, it's just that those on HC performed better against the competition than did those songs from Weathered.

revisfoot 09-04-2007 08:54 AM

Maybe because people liked Human Clay more than they liked Weathered? Just an opinion...

Finaldecision 09-04-2007 11:25 AM

Human Clay was more successful than Weathered. I think it was indeed the better album; but I don't believe that this was the main reason: I think the main reason was, because the singles of Human Clay were more bigger than those of Weathered, at least WAWO, which was even #1 at the Billboard charts.
Human Clay was the better album to me, as I already said. I think Weathered is an awesome album nevertheless. It may sound a bit more poppy, but it has some genious Creed songs, My Sacrifice and Who's Got My Back for example, and includes the hardest (Bullets) as well as the softest (Lullaby) Creed song ever. The lyrics are strong and with the lyrics of One Last Breath and Weathered it's got two of the best of Creed overall I think.

Scorpion King 09-04-2007 11:34 AM

The theory about the singles is interesting, although I'm not so sure about it. Yes, Human Clay was the one that had the number one song on the Billboard, but both HC and Weathered had two singles that were in the top ten. At least where I lived, all four of them seemed to get more or less equal airplay.

I think that one thing that might have jacked up sales for Weathered is if Hide had been a single instead of Don't Stop Dancing. I think that that song had the potential to be another Billboard hit.

Dogstar 09-04-2007 12:08 PM

I agree with you on Hide. Don't Stop Dancing is not one of my favorite songs, but I do love Hide. Both are fairly poppy, but for some reason, DSD did not resonate with me.

J.T. 09-04-2007 04:02 PM

Actually I like Don't Stop Dancing better than Hide, though both are good songs. And Human Clay was just legendary, so everyone had to have a copy, that's probably why.

Scorpion King 09-04-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.T.
Actually I like Don't Stop Dancing better than Hide, though both are good songs. And Human Clay was just legendary, so everyone had to have a copy, that's probably why.

I love Don't Stop Dancing as well. It's a really beautiful song. I just feel that it would have had a greater impact in terms of radio play.

Steve 09-04-2007 07:22 PM

Creed was more popular during the HC album year.... by that I mean there was just more hype around for Creed which probably led to more album sales. By the time Weathered was out, Creed was pretty much "hated" by the mainstream... if you know what I mean... just my opinion...

J.T. 09-05-2007 03:57 PM

I don't really think they were hated by the mainstream, seeing as how they sold six million copies of Weathered in the U.S. alone. I think it was just a popularity dip, not a huge one, but still. 6 times platinum is an incredible achievement these days.

Dogstar 09-06-2007 01:50 AM

Well, within the mainstream industry and media, they were derided regularly, mostly because of Stapp.

J.T. 09-06-2007 04:14 PM

Well that didn't stop 6 million people from buying it. The media can go burn.