CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Alter Bridge Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Alter Bridge Interview in Guitarist Magazine (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=8567)

Steve 01-31-2005 12:30 PM

Alter Bridge Interview in Guitarist Magazine

Check it out:

http://www.alterbridgerocks.com/medi...itarist-mag/?1

thanks to Dan @ AlterBridgeBand.net

Torn Daredevil 01-31-2005 12:36 PM

Thanks!

What an awesome read! That made me happy. :D

titan9 01-31-2005 12:52 PM

Yup, thanks for posting that. Pretty good read.

RMadd 01-31-2005 02:17 PM

awesome article! I especially like the little bit about the soloing.

"Oh yeah, definitely. In Creed whenever I tried to solo, Scott would have to make fun of me for being too eighties. It would always piss me off because the more flashy I got on the guitar, the more he would downplay it. But those days are over with. Before you know it, I'll be doing the eight-finger tapping."

"Kurt Cobain may have killed the guitar solo but we're going to do our best to bring it back," nods Kennedy.

and

"And we've got a drummer who can breakdance," adds Myles helpfully. Now that, Guitarist would love to see. But things are already good enough: Creed may still cast a long shadow but for now, under the Alter Bridge, Mark Tremonti is having fun and enjoying his music again.

DekWannaBFlea 01-31-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
awesome article! I especially like the little bit about the soloing.

"Oh yeah, definitely. In Creed whenever I tried to solo, Scott would have to make fun of me for being too eighties. It would always piss me off because the more flashy I got on the guitar, the more he would downplay it. But those days are over with. Before you know it, I'll be doing the eight-finger tapping."

"Kurt Cobain may have killed the guitar solo but we're going to do our best to bring it back," nods Kennedy.

and

"And we've got a drummer who can breakdance," adds Myles helpfully. Now that, Guitarist would love to see. But things are already good enough: Creed may still cast a long shadow but for now, under the Alter Bridge, Mark Tremonti is having fun and enjoying his music again.

So Scott did hold them back, just like i siad so many times....whatever

Any way that was one of the best articles i have read on them, thanks for the post.

The Lithium 01-31-2005 03:58 PM

Haha, go Myles - he's funny :D

Chase 01-31-2005 04:24 PM

Awesome article... Alter Bridge gives Mark the ability to be himself. Creed was all Stapp and Alter Bridge is all Mark.

Agent D 01-31-2005 06:01 PM

I really would like to see Flip breakdance. I think that'd be amusing.

HigherGirl 01-31-2005 07:01 PM

Great article Steve!!
Thanks!! :clap:

aussiecreeder 01-31-2005 07:09 PM

cool article and the bit about trying to teach scott guitar was interesting.

titan9 01-31-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecreeder
cool article and the bit about trying to teach scott guitar was interesting.

My thoughts exactly. Can you imagine having Mark as a teacher? That'd be awesome, imo.

Bridge of Clay 01-31-2005 08:16 PM

dude... if Mark was my teacher, I'd work my ass off to learn everything... I'd even quit school just so I could have more time to practice. lol!

I wouldn't want to make ugly in front of him.

That's one of the best articles. That Cobain quote... awesome!

aussiecreeder 01-31-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
dude... if Mark was my teacher, I'd work my ass off to learn everything... I'd even quit school just so I could have more time to practice. lol!

Maybe guitar just isn't Scott's thing and I agree the Cobain quote is priceless.

RMadd 01-31-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecreeder
Maybe guitar just isn't Scott's thing and I agree the Cobain quote is priceless.

after all, you can't teach an old dog new tricks... esp if he's dead-set against it (maybe i'm the only one under the impression he didn't try too much lol)
as for Cobain, it looks like perhaps I'm not the only one who thought Nirvana was hugely overrated. They're music's alright, and I have a fair number of their songs. But I'm by no means a big fan and definitely won't be buying that new box set of theirs, despite any rave reviews it may receive. Grunge killed rock & roll (and post-grunge and nu metal just stomp all over its grave lol)

titan9 01-31-2005 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay

Yeah, I agree. Mark's my favorite guitarist(and really my inspiration for taking up the guitar) and he'd be an awesome teacher. Though I would be nervous about messing up.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
after all, you can't teach an old dog new tricks... esp if he's dead-set against it (maybe i'm the only one under the impression he didn't try too much lol)

Perhaps, but guitar is a very tough thing at first. I'm a beginner(took it up in December of 2004) and had a very tough time at first, just getting used to the fret board and all. Needless to say, it is alot tougher than it looks. ;)

Higher_Desire 01-31-2005 10:32 PM

Hrrrmmmm... Not sure if I like that Kurt Cobain quote... :peoplesey

Good read. Just an FYI for ya Steve, a word is mispelled in the second paragraph. It says "He's talking about the final fays of his previous band, Creed,"

H-D :pimp:

Steve 01-31-2005 11:15 PM

Thanks.

aussiecreeder 02-01-2005 04:35 AM

good point about learning the guitar there are easier instruments to learn for sure. whether stapp really wanted to learn i guess is the question.......

titan9 02-01-2005 09:07 AM

Yeah, like keyboard.(what I started out on):D It's a heckuva lot easier to learn songs on that then on guitar. Plus, I'd imagine if Stapp was playing guitar during the concerts, that'd be pretty restrictive. He likes to move around, and if he played guitar on stage, he wouldn't be able to move around as much. But I kinda doubt he really wanted to learn. I think he's content with just being a singer/lyricist.

DekWannaBFlea 02-01-2005 10:16 AM

Scott started to play a little guitar during the weathered tour didn't he? Cause i have a live version of Stand here with me and he has a U.S. flag colored guitar.

cariocawlad 02-01-2005 10:39 AM

Now we know why Mark is more creative and happy in Alter Bridge than Creed days... Scott didn't like guitar solos... this is sad. Creed could been more and more bigger than that. Can you imagine?

Agent D 02-01-2005 11:39 AM

Scott did indeed attempt to play guitar on tour. He donned one during the conert at Hershey Stadium during the Weathered tour when they peformed Stand Here With Me. It didn't really work though and Scott was kinda restricted. He couldn't master the art of playing and singing at the same time. He'd strike a chord and then let go of the guitar and grab the mic and sing. Then he'd do a chord again and then sing...and repeat.

But I have to say that at first I thought the Cobain quote was out of line but if you think about it, that is very true. Kurt was a great songwriter but an awful guitarist. Odd though, because other grunge bands had good solos in their songs, like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

DekWannaBFlea 02-01-2005 12:02 PM

Nirvana is one of the most over rated bands in the history of music. Tremonti wasn't out of line when he said that, because it basically was true for most the ninties, at least for the mainstream music scene.

titan9 02-01-2005 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent D
It didn't really work though and Scott was kinda restricted. He couldn't master the art of playing and singing at the same time. He'd strike a chord and then let go of the guitar and grab the mic and sing. Then he'd do a chord again and then sing...and repeat.

Which was my point. Singing and playing at the same time is tough. I think he's best off just singing. But if they really needed another guitarist on tour, why didn't they just bring in one? Other bands do that and don't make the fill-ins members of the band.

Bridge of Clay 02-01-2005 03:22 PM

It is. I can't sing and play at the same time.

aussiecreeder 02-01-2005 06:56 PM

Perhaps Creed could have brought a secondary guitarist on tour which bands like Nirvana and Alice in Chains did. Kurt wrote some good songs but as a guitarist he certainly was no Steve Vai. The whole grunge term is very misleading because Nirvana shared little in common with a band such as Pearl Jam. Bands like PJ (Mike McCready), Soundgarden (Kim Thayil), and Alice in Chains (Jerry Cantrall) had very good lead guitarists. Also other bands that came out around that time period like Radiohead (Johnny Greenwood) and Tool (Adam Jones) had/have very good albiet unconventional guitarists.

Soundslave 02-01-2005 08:20 PM

I find it incredible that Rolling Stone named Cobain the 12th greatest guitarist of all time.

aussiecreeder 02-01-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattr652
I find it incredible that Rolling Stone named Cobain the 12th greatest guitarist of all time.

that list was crazy...it had members of nirvana, the ramones and the white stripes in it. now i like all three of those bands but there is no way any of those three guys are in the top 500 guitarists of all time.

tremonti4life04 02-02-2005 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattr652

Well, put it this way, he was named that because he could roll around stage, whacked out on heroine, and still play rythms that sounded like his songs. I found it even more amazing that Rolling Stone said that Jimi Hendrix wasn number 1. Rolling Stone doesnt base their judgments on skill, otherwise they would have known that Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes, Yngwie Malmsteen, JASON BECKER, MICHEAL ANGELO BATIO, And Mark Tremonti are 10 times better guitar players/writers than Hendrix was on his best day. It's sad to see an article like that, but, apparently they also like this new "garage rock" type of stuff, so they cant be all that credible. lol

aussiecreeder 02-02-2005 01:32 AM

Tremonti better than Hendrix? I was with you for most of that post but after that..........all respect to Mark but come on.

Anna1011 02-02-2005 05:42 AM

that has to be the bast review i have ever read, it was great thanx for posting :D :D :D

Bridge of Clay 02-02-2005 06:27 AM

I dunno man... it's hard to compare guitarists from different eras.

Hendrix paved the way for all modern guitarists... maybe today he wouldn't stand out as he did at the time... or maybe today he would be 100 times more wicked... who knows?

The background of a modern guitarist is way wider than back in the day.

The Lithium 02-02-2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higher_Desire
Hrrrmmmm... Not sure if I like that Kurt Cobain quote... :peoplesey

Come on, he couldn't sing or play guitar!

RMadd 02-02-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lithium
Come on, he couldn't sing or play guitar!

wait.... you're bashing Cobain?

I'mRational 02-02-2005 11:31 AM

I have never understood why Hendrix is considered so great. There were jazz guitarists at his time who could school him in shear ability.

RMadd 02-02-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mRational
I have never understood why Hendrix is considered so great. There were jazz guitarists at his time who could school him in shear ability.

i'm guessing it prolly has to do w/ the fact that most discussions of guitarist greatness center on rock music. and jazz, as one may well rationally and logically conclude, is not rock.

Disillusioned 02-02-2005 05:18 PM

Thank you to the person who took the time to type this up :flowers:

Good stuff :smokin:

tremonti4life04 02-02-2005 11:42 PM

Hendrix is highly overrated. Yes, he did make his guitar squeal like a pig for his whole career, he wasnt that great of a guitar player tho, he wasnt technical, and didnt have the finess that later guitarists achieved. He wasnt as awesome as everyone thinks he is, i can play most hendrix licks on guitar, but i have a hard time touching on One Day Remains, so im telling you this from my personal opinion.

tremonti4life04 02-02-2005 11:46 PM

And...my opinion still stands, Cobain was only considered good because he could roll around on stage whacked out on heroine, and not miss a beat, he wasnt that great for things he wrote, he was considered great for the way he played.

DekWannaBFlea 02-03-2005 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tremonti4life04
Hendrix is highly overrated. Yes, he did make his guitar squeal like a pig for his whole career, he wasnt that great of a guitar player tho, he wasnt technical, and didnt have the finess that later guitarists achieved. He wasnt as awesome as everyone thinks he is, i can play most hendrix licks on guitar, but i have a hard time touching on One Day Remains, so im telling you this from my personal opinion.

I think you pretty much bastardize an entire generation of blues guitarists. Technically is not everthing, but if you want to say he isn't techincal you try to pull off, all the bends, pull offs hammer ons and all the small things that he did. Jimi Hendrix revolutionized the guitar, most of the techinics were new for his time, in fact none of the guitarists you mentioned would exist if it weren';t for him. He brought the ever ounce of soul out of the guitar. I fail to see how he is over-rateed. Like i said technicality isn't everything, why do you think Santana is considered so good? In one of his songs he plays one note for about a minute, but it is revered by guitarists as baddass, why is that? Because it has so much soul!