CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Tool Appreciation Thread (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9291)

Muad'Dib 06-19-2005 04:02 AM

The Tool Appreciation Thread

Been getting back into Tool again lately and thought I might create a thread for all us fans on here to discuss them!

Favourite album: Lateralus
Favourite song: The Patient or Parabol-Parabola
Favourite member: Danny Carey, easily my favourite drummer ever!

Has anyone seen them live?? Closet thing I got to seeing Tool live was A Perfect Circle here a while back, was easily one of best live shows ive seen.

Dogstar 06-19-2005 12:58 PM

I sooooo love Tool. I have a hard time picking a favorite album, though. Lateralus was the album that got me into them, but lately, I've been listening to Aenima and Salival a lot. I love that Salival version of Pushit. I think it's one of Maynard's most amazing vocal performances ever. When I heard it for the first time, it gave me chills.

I would say my favorite song is Eulogy. I seem to hit repeat on that one sooo much. I just love that song, from start to finish. The intro is wicked cool and I love lyrics.
They have some seriously head-banging guitar riffs. Some that come to mind include Stinkfist, parts of Eulogy, the transition from Parabol to Parabola.

The drumming in Tool is friggin awesome. I really noticed what a difference it can make when drumming really good. There's something really tribal about it on Lateralus, especially in The Grudge. That is one ass-kicking opening track. It's also awesome in Disposition/Reflection and Lateralus.

I have never seen them live, and like you, I've seen APC. I had a chance to see them on the Lateralus tour and I ended up not going because I was too tired. I was just getting into them, so I wasn't as big a fan as I am now. I could kick myself for passing it up given how much I love that album. I won't miss them this time around, that's for sure.

Muad'Dib 06-20-2005 05:47 AM

Love Eulogy, that fucking huge intro does it for me, builds up wickedly.

Been listening to a bit of a Opiate lately, amazing to see how far they have come from just a simple metal band to one of the most complex and brillaint bands in the world.

I hope one day I get pleasure to see them live, would be a dream come true.

aussiecreeder 06-20-2005 09:06 AM

I really love Tool, certainly one of the best progressive metal bands of recent times. I only own Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus at this stage but they are all great albums, particulary the later two IMO. I was reading on a BB the other day that there will be an 18 minute song on the next album which will be interesting to say the least. I'm struggling to think of a better rhythm section than Chancellor and Carey. Perhaps my new love of DT in Myung and Portnoy would give them a shake.

Dogstar 06-20-2005 01:04 PM

I think Tool has one of the best rhythm sections out there today. It's never boring and the sound is such a big part of the overall music without being overwhelming. I like that they focus on that just as much as the vocals and guitars. Sometimes, the rhythm seems like lead vox instead of Maynard.

Opiate is fun. I really love Hush and loved it even more after I saw the video. And Opiate the song is awesome. I love the chorus in that one.

aussiecreeder 06-21-2005 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I think Tool has one of the best rhythm sections out there today. It's never boring and the sound is such a big part of the overall music without being overwhelming. I like that they focus on that just as much as the vocals and guitars. Sometimes, the rhythm seems like lead vox instead of Maynard.

Opiate is fun. I really love Hush and loved it even more after I saw the video. And Opiate the song is awesome. I love the chorus in that one.

I agree the rhythm section is such a massive part of their sound. I guess my one complaint with the band is that although Adam Jones has a lot of skill (he must to keep up with all of those time changes and the cool effects he uses) its all the durgy drop d stuff and there is never any soloing. He's in the background to Danny Carey half the time it seems. Danny is the real star of the outfit I think........

Dogstar 06-21-2005 01:56 AM

Yeah, Danny is definitely the man, but Adam does have his moments, too, with some damn good riffs that make me want to rock out big time. I think they all have their share, but they each have their prominence within the band as well. They are just one talented bunch.

creedsister 06-22-2005 03:29 PM

your right i,ve loved tool for like 4 ever , they just seem to be one of my sound tracks ...and yes the last tool concert i was at i had to leave i got sick ok really sick because it takes a lot of me being sick to leave a concert i was coming down with a really bad flu that was going around , but then i wanted to kick my own ass after i got home i was healed...felt great Doggy Loves Tool , as a mater of fact Doggy did,nt you have fight with someone on the board because all they said you liked and Listend to Was Tool , i was going put my 2 cents in but i stayed out of it , No Da Doggy Likes Opeth , love those Guys and Got me in to Floater :jam: :jam:

Dogstar 06-22-2005 05:29 PM

LMAO, creedsister...Yeah, Mulletman got on my case a little for listening to Tool all the time :) :D. And yeah, Opeth is kick-ass, too. I'm so glad you like Floater, too. I can't get enough of them, either.

creedsister 06-25-2005 04:37 PM

:jam: :jam: And The Doggy Is Big On Alice In Chains ..Smart Doggy Go Post Under The say Something Nice About Somebody Thread :D so i can ramble about how smart you are

Dogstar 06-25-2005 09:26 PM

LOL, creedsister *blushes* :D

creedsister 06-27-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
LOL, creedsister *blushes* :D

:D