CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Black music (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=5447)

Bridge of Clay 01-06-2004 08:40 PM

Black music

Is it alright for a rocker to jam with black music? (or should I say afro-american? no offense! anyway, I dunno if the following songs are what people call "hip-hop")

But for some reason, there are 2 songs that I found myself enjoying while listening to them:

Outkast - Hey Ya (very good sample music)
Black Eyed Peas - Where's the love? (very good lyrics)

LOL! I know it's ok... I'm entitled to my own musical taste, even if you think it's poor... :D but I'm wondering if someone here shares the same thoughts! ;)

facelessman 01-06-2004 10:33 PM

i hate where is the love

Said Eyes 01-07-2004 04:55 AM

I love BEP and Outkast. Other bands you should check out are The Black Keys and Jurassic 5. Dont limit yourself to just one genre, man, its stupid and you might just find something you like out there!

I think Hey Ya is a fantastic song. Fun. And the film clip is amazing. Stankonia is a top album, but not as good as their latest double cd effort.
Black Eyed Peas are great too. Check out some of their older stuff, its cool.

You know who else I absolutely love who could be classified as Hip Hop? Michael Franti and Spearhead. Man that guy is cool. His live shows are absolutely awesome.

Most popular hip-hop is trash though.

Marty 01-07-2004 08:58 AM

There is nothing wrong with listening to any type of music you want. Rocker or indifferent. :)

Sincirr 01-07-2004 09:28 AM

Yep, Michael Franti is good. Marty is right.

Nothing wrong with checking out hip-hop stuff. Especially if U R a musician, U tend to hear stuff that others dont. That's the main reason I have acid jazz in my collection and anything else I can draw from.

Take Tom Morello for example. He grew up listening to metal, but also enjoys hip-hop and stuff.

Steve 01-07-2004 12:03 PM

I don't care for rap or hip-hop at all. I've given them a listen but it's just not my thing. However, I do like that Hey Ya song... is that considered rap or hip-hop though? I know some rock stations that play that song.

RMadd 01-07-2004 02:41 PM

I used to like "Hey Ya", but it's becoming one of the most overplayed songs since "How You Remind Me".... so when I hear it, i try to block it out as best as I can (ditto for the music vid).... but it is a catchy song.... I like "Where Is the Love" too. good lyrix

Aimee 01-07-2004 02:41 PM

:darkdance:
Shake it shake it like a polaroid picture.
Shake your tailfeather....oh whoa.. get down low!
:afro:
It's okay to like whatever you like. I love to rock out, but when I want to get my groove thang on, nothing works better than Hey YA! Besides, I grew up around Hip-Hop and there are some pretty catchy tunes out there. It may not be "serious" music but it's not supposed to be. Originally it was just made for party-time fun and I think it suits its' purpose just fine!

facelessman 01-07-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearFan
I used to like "Hey Ya", but it's becoming one of the most overplayed songs since "How You Remind Me"....

i agree with that

facelessman 01-07-2004 03:22 PM

i saw black eye peas in concert...they "rocked" haha

DangerousDan85 01-07-2004 04:19 PM

Hey Ya is one of the most annoying songs i've ever heard, i had to listen to it about 3 or 4 times on my drive up to Indiana with my sister (she likes them)

JulieCitySlicker 01-07-2004 05:26 PM

IMO rap is the most trashy music out there these days :eek: I can't stand it anymore, there are a few songs that are alright though :)

RMadd 01-07-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieLovesCreed
IMO rap is the most trashy music out there these days :eek: I can't stand it anymore, there are a few songs that are alright though :)

hey, at least you gotta love Nelly... StL, represent!

facelessman 01-08-2004 12:23 AM

i agree with that
pimpjuice...

JulieCitySlicker 01-08-2004 12:28 AM

Ya Nellys alright ;)

Said Eyes 01-08-2004 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearFan
hey, at least you gotta love Nelly... StL, represent!

No you dont. Nelly is what's wrong with music.

facelessman 01-09-2004 01:09 AM

ouch

Sincirr 01-09-2004 01:57 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's gettin HOT in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

JulieCitySlicker 01-09-2004 02:17 AM

:D

GeeK_2004 01-09-2004 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sincirr
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's gettin HOT in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

its not here....

its hheeerrrrrrrrrr...!!!

WeatheredWoman 01-09-2004 11:45 AM

My partner can't cope with that ROCKSTUFF :jam: :(

So when we're havin' a comfy night 2gether... Marvin Gaye or Joe is coming out of the stereo :help:

So then I'm FORCED into the Soul and R&B stuff :yikes:

Hahahaha j/k... I love it 2: but at heart I'm a Rockb!tch :D

Bridge of Clay 01-09-2004 06:27 PM

how about that guy who sings "In da club" ? 50 cent, I guess... I can't understand a single word of what he sings during that fast part... lol!

Ben, I'll check them out!

DangerousDan85 01-10-2004 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed
how about that guy who sings "In da club" ? 50 cent, I guess... I can't understand a single word of what he sings during that fast part

that's because his teeth get in the way

Said Eyes 01-10-2004 02:16 AM

Or maybe someone shot him in the mouth. That would make it like the 68th time he's been shot or something?!

DangerousDan85 01-10-2004 02:20 AM

yeah something like that

Creed_Defaultgirl 01-10-2004 03:36 PM

I can't stand band-aid boy. The lyrics to that black eyed peas song is good, but I don't like it other than that. The closest to rap I come is The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Linkin' Park.

Lechium 01-22-2004 09:30 PM

Incubus are 2/5's black, so do they fall in thsi category too?

Lechium 01-22-2004 09:31 PM

P.S. good rap exists but in very scare numbers, and generally in underground. As famosu bands go Outkast has few good songs... humm... Redman was cool (goofy) once upon a time.

JenRN 01-22-2004 10:50 PM

I am like Steve not really into the rap thing. But a couple of songs get me dancing. I was in a sports club in DC Saturday and found myself dancing to that Oukast song "I like the way you move" and some others. Must of been the 7&7 I was drinking. At one Creed show Stapp had this rapper come out and rap during Say I, drove me nuts. I wondered what the hell was going on, still don't know who the guy was :confused:

facelessman 01-22-2004 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lechium
P.S. good rap exists but in very scare numbers, and generally in underground. As famosu bands go Outkast has few good songs... humm... Redman was cool (goofy) once upon a time.

i agree

DangerousDan85 01-23-2004 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenRN
At one Creed show Stapp had this rapper come out and rap during Say I, drove me nuts. I wondered what the hell was going on, still don't know who the guy was :confused:

i NEED to hear this :laugh:

sounds funny

Said Eyes 01-23-2004 08:07 AM

Once again Lechium's here to point out how "underground" and "hip" he is. Whoo.

(PS. What's up, my nigger. No ICQ love?)

Sincirr 01-23-2004 11:17 AM

LOL.
He does have a good point.

It seems that the more underground hiphop stuff has more integrity. The stuff that U hear in the mainstream market is really booring, well not all, but most. The more underground stuff is worth checking out, cos it's just more unique.

The Lithium 01-23-2004 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed
Is it alright for a rocker to jam with black music? (or should I say afro-american? no offense! anyway, I dunno if the following songs are what people call "hip-hop")

But for some reason, there are 2 songs that I found myself enjoying while listening to them:

Outkast - Hey Ya (very good sample music)
Black Eyed Peas - Where's the love? (very good lyrics)

LOL! I know it's ok... I'm entitled to my own musical taste, even if you think it's poor... :D but I'm wondering if someone here shares the same thoughts! ;)

HAHAHA!!! You are going mad!! Everything but rock and metal is... Well... Jazz is okay, some pop can be okay. (Not Boy-band pop). But everything but rock and metal is, you know... Not as good as rock and metal!!

Lechium 01-23-2004 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Said Eyes
Once again Lechium's here to point out how "underground" and "hip" he is. Whoo.

(PS. What's up, my nigger. No ICQ love?)

I'm not underground, cuz I love Led Zepp and Pink Floyd. And I'm not hip, cuz enegeering students can never be hip lol

Been forever since I used ICQ, and I dont even have it now, once i reformatted my drive... it's on a long and forgotten 'to do' list heh

JenRN 01-23-2004 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousDan85
i NEED to hear this :laugh:

sounds funny

I still don't know who the hell he was, he just appeared on stage during the breakdown of Say I and started jamming out. It was in the outside venue in Washington DC. I was in the pit on the rail, I must of had the most dumbass look on my face. Everyone was looking at each other like "who the hell is this guy?"LOL

PaulMcCoygirl 01-24-2004 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty
There is nothing wrong with listening to any type of music you want. Rocker or indifferent. :)

I agree too! You should try listening to all types of music so you know which one you like best. :)

archie bunker 01-26-2004 01:13 PM

no rap

i dont care for rap but i love marvin gaye,the temptations,percy sledge,and lets not forget the genious guitar man jimmy hendricks :rockout:

njcreedite 01-26-2004 04:43 PM

Okay...is it just me or does anyone else find the name of this
thread insulting? I mean really...."Black" music?
Both HipHop and Rap music have huge followings...of all races. To label
it, "Black" music is rather racist...don't you think? Is Jazz also..."Black" music?
Rock n' Roll's origins is the Blues...does that make Rock "Black" music?
Personally I think music has no color...just sound. It's for everyone and anyone. I don't care whose playing it...it's what it sounds like to me. I prefer the heavier side of rock, but I can find music I love in any genre.
I'm sure some of you will think I'm being too sensitive to the title...but
I just think labeling things in this way deminishes it.
Just my opinion.

Dogstar 01-26-2004 04:51 PM

I agree, njcreedite. Well said.