CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Alternative Gift Ideas... (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=910)

souldancer 12-14-2002 12:53 AM

Alternative Gift Ideas...

While we are often urged to shop for presents, many gift alternatives exist, and many can be more personal and meaningful as well. Here are some ideas taken from one of Jane Goodall's educational programs.

--Offer to do someone else's share of the household chores with a creatively designed coupon
--Cook a special meal for a loved one
--Arrange for a fun family outing, such as a day hike and picnic
--Bake cookies or other tasty treats and package them in a reused tin
--Make a calendar with family photos and include birthdays, anniversaries, and family gatherings
--Make birdseed balls or birdfeeders to give so that others can enjoy local wildlife
--Put together a book of favorite recipes
--Offer to teach someone a skill such as sewing, carpentry or a musical instrument
--Give a donation membership to special charity organization in someone's name.
--Encourage creativity--give a basket of art supplies or scrap wood and tools
--Make a 'dress up box' for a young friend with fun clothes you no longer use
--Give potted houseplants or seeds and garden tools
--Instead of exchanging so many gifts, hold a book exchange at a gathering, where everyone brings a copy of their favorite book

OK..This is just a start, now it's time to add our own ideas in posts below :)

DangerousDan85 12-14-2002 12:57 AM

Re: Alternative Gift Ideas...

Quote:

Originally posted by souldancer

--Put together a book of favorite recipes

that's what I'm doing, for more information please check the

"Dangerous Dan's Delicious Delights" thread

Dogstar 12-14-2002 01:02 AM

Wow, those are all great ideas, SD....

A couple more that I can think of are gift certificates to restaurants or for the movies or movie rentals.

Also, if you can, offer a free night of baby-sitting for your friends or family members with children that will give them a night out.

souldancer 12-14-2002 01:42 AM

Re: Re: Alternative Gift Ideas...

Quote:

Originally posted by DangerousDan85
<b>that's what I'm doing, &nbsp;for more information please check the &nbsp;

"Dangerous Dan's Delicious Delights" thread </b>

Well, I checked out the thread, but not sure if the book is for real? No offense, the posts didn;t really talk about food. Cool if it's true, fine if it's not. Any vegetarian recipes?

DangerousDan85 12-14-2002 01:45 AM

the "Danwich" is vegetarian

toothpaste and salsa on organic rye bread.

souldancer 12-14-2002 01:52 AM

OK...I think you answered my question. ;) Is that soy toothpaste?

DangerousDan85 12-14-2002 01:57 AM

no, I personaly like original Crest, no flavors or whitning for me I don't like gimmicks. It's good if you dip it in tapioca pudding.

DangerousDan85 12-14-2002 01:58 AM

or dijon mustard

hotforscott 12-14-2002 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dogstar
Wow, those are all great ideas, SD....

A couple more that I can think of are gift certificates to restaurants or for the movies or movie rentals.

Also, if you can, offer a free night of &nbsp;baby-sitting for your friends or family members with children that will give them a night out.

I do that a lot, I will give people out to eat gift certificates and also offer to babysit that night so they can go out. Having 2 kids of my own I know how that is, I always try really hard to get something I think they can enjoy. It's probably why I stress out so much........lol.

TeriB19 12-14-2002 03:53 PM

I do the cookie thing every year for my neighbors. Every year I bake tons of cookies, bag them up (or put each neighbors cookies in a decorative tin) and pass them out to the neighborhood. Cheap and very much appreciated.

hotforscott 12-14-2002 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TeriB19
I do the cookie thing every year for my neighbors. Every year I bake tons of cookies, bag them up (or put each neighbors cookies in a decorative tin) and pass them out to the neighborhood. Cheap and very much appreciated.

I want some cookies Teri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need to move to Teri's neighborhood to get some cookies.
None of our neighboors are sociable. I would probably freak them out if I brought them cookies. No one talks around here. It's sad.

TeriB19 12-14-2002 04:02 PM

My next door neighbor and I were very close for years, and this summer she and her family moved and a new family moved in. They have grown children and I've seen them coming and going but have never had a conversation with them past "Hi". I saw them going out somewhere yesterday and I waved to them. They looked right at me and completely ignored me. That, combined with the fact that there was a huge party there a few weekends ago that ended with the cops being called, loud fighting, excessive drunkenness, rules them out for cookies this year. So I have some extra. Anyone who wants cookies just needs to come up to my neighborhood before I eat them all!!

hotforscott 12-14-2002 04:06 PM

lol, gosh it sounds like they are some partiers. No cookies for them. i may try the cookie thing this year. i am not a good cookie maker so if they still speak to me after i make them, then they must be really nice people.................................
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TeriB19 12-14-2002 04:10 PM

Cookies are easy. I used to do them all by hand, very hard work. Last year before Christmas, we invested in a Kitchenaid standmixer, the BEST investment we ever made. Like I said cookies are easy to make and even easier with automated help.

hayley 12-14-2002 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Alternative Gift Ideas...

Quote:

Originally posted by souldancer
Well, I checked out the thread, but not sure if the book is for real? &nbsp;No offense, the posts didn;t really talk about food. Cool if it's true, fine if it's not. &nbsp;Any vegetarian recipes?

LOL he's only mucking around...;)