CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Faith / Religion (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Can your church tell you how to vote? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=7884)

HeavenBesideYou 11-07-2004 07:17 AM

Can your church tell you how to vote?

Scripturally, it's wrong (and obviously widely accepted)...

But how about morally?

What is happening to our church's???

"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly father will also forgive you; whereas if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your father forgive your trespasses."(Matthew 6:14-15 )

"One man judges one day as above another; another man judges one day as all others. Let each one be fully convinced in his own mind."(Romans 14:5 )

"The faith that you have, have it in accord with yourself in the sight of God. Happy is the man that does not put himself on judgement by what he approves....everything that is not out of faith is sin."(Romans 14:22-23 )

Heaven

:pimp:

Higher_Desire 11-09-2004 01:52 AM

In my church, they always read letters from the church heads that say that the church as a whole does not support any political party, candidate, or platform for any reason, and are firm in it's nutrality. Members are encouraged to research the candidates and vote for who they feel would do a better job.

H-D :pimp:

JulieCitySlicker 11-09-2004 10:32 PM

I don't think that the church should be telling anyone how to vote! I just look at the morals and other aspects of the candidate and vote according to what I believe in. I put my vote in regardless of what everyone at church tells us.

Higher_Desire 11-18-2004 01:55 PM

If the church has to stay out of the state, so the state should stay out of the church.

H-D :pimp:

RMadd 11-18-2004 04:15 PM

i know my pastors didn't advocate voting for one candidate or the other. they reminded people to get out and vote, but didn't endorse either side. but, if i had to guess, i could probably tell you the both of them voted for bush. the only recent political issue i can remember anyone in my church taking a stand on is, of course, the issue of defining marriage as between a man and a woman. this, however, isn't strictly political. it's also social and, of course, religious. god says marriage is only for man and woman, and its our civic duty to try and promote what we believe to be socially and morally correct.

Sincirr 11-25-2004 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
i know my pastors didn't advocate voting for one candidate or the other. they reminded people to get out and vote, but didn't endorse either side. but, if i had to guess, i could probably tell you the both of them voted for bush. the only recent political issue i can remember anyone in my church taking a stand on is, of course, the issue of defining marriage as between a man and a woman. this, however, isn't strictly political. it's also social and, of course, religious. god says marriage is only for man and woman, and its our civic duty to try and promote what we believe to be socially and morally correct.

Concerning the whole issue with Voting so that things will not be able to take hold of our country is important, but it is also important that the ones we vote for, especially if they publicly proclaim to be Christians, are not opressive. Taking rights away is considered religious opression to gays wanting to marry, so its a hard decision to make.

We just had our elections here in Australia...My church gave info on the certain Christian parties or ones with Christian values, but also commended ones like the greenies for their social justice stance, whereas the Christian parties didnt have much of an opinion in these areas and think that greenies are the enemy of Christianity.... Some churches here were just encouraging votes to the christian parties. I appreciate my church for deciding to not follow the crowd in that respect, but really pulling it all apart and looking into the consequences of our voting.

We are different in Australia, very cynical concerning our leadership, not very loyal orpatriotic in that sense. But I dont think thats all bad...I'm not gonna vote for someone just cos he or she says they are a Christian. Proofs in the pudding man! Even satan can masquerade as an angel of light! :eek:

Torn Daredevil 11-29-2004 07:06 PM

All I know is... Christian Democrat...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's an oxymoron!

Sincirr 11-29-2004 11:54 PM

What does your avatar represent?

bgivens33 12-01-2004 08:10 PM

legally a church should NOT tell you how to vote, they could loose there title........ damn, 7 i think, but might be 9 status of being tax exempt. but then again, groups such as the naacp are supposed to stay unbiased as well.

jango 12-06-2004 08:40 PM

Only FoxNews can tell people how to vote.

creedsister 12-06-2004 10:08 PM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sincirr
What does your avatar represent?

I was Wondering The Same Damn Thing