CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Scott Stapp Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Scott's rendition of God Bless Amerca - Post your comments here (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=7819)

Higher_Desire 10-27-2004 11:19 PM

Scott's rendition of God Bless Amerca - Post your comments here

What did you think of it? My overall reaction of it was decent, but short.

Now, who's gonna rip it? I recorded it, but have no way of transfering it from VHS to digital.

H-D :pimp:

Dogstar 10-27-2004 11:19 PM

I thought he was kind of flat.

Mr.CreedFreakTN 10-27-2004 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar

He was definately flat, and he appeared nervous to me. Good to see him out and about though.

Steve 10-27-2004 11:23 PM

I agree with Dogstar.

luvscott4ever 10-27-2004 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higher_Desire
What did you think of it? My overall reaction of it was decent, but short.

Now, who's gonna rip it? I recorded it, but have no way of transfering it from VHS to digital.

I taped it too, but my daughters boyfriend got it for me, I think, that's what she made it sound like, I'll let ya all know if I get it...also sounds like he's gotten me some concert, even though he hates Creed!! But he'll do anything to suck up to me!! lol.... ;)

Higher_Desire 10-27-2004 11:53 PM

Quote:

That's cause Mark wasn't keeping on key with his awesome guitar skills. :D

hockeymom97 10-28-2004 12:38 AM

I don't think this song is in his vocal range. Also he did it acappella which is pretty hard in itself. I give him credit for effort, but I wasn't impressed.

Torn Daredevil 10-28-2004 02:08 AM

He was flat. He should have sang it higher, but that may have caused him to be more flat. I think he may have some serious damage to his vocal cords... Still good, though. Fun to see him getting major attention.

BeamMeUpScottie 10-28-2004 02:29 AM

I never, never in a million years expected God Bless America to sound sexy but it did. I never saw Creed perform live, it must have been incredible. Did you notice the difference in the applause before and after he performed. The crowd felt the emotion of his voice was moved by it. He is no opera singer but he has something that stops you in your tracks and pulls you in, makes you listen.

Ann Allusion 10-28-2004 02:38 AM

Hahaha...:laugh: i've read around several boards about this performance...some comments have been positive and a few on the border of "forgiving"...most of them focusing on his "looks"...which is not unexpected....but then there are the comments of him being "flat"..."it was out of his range"..."he breathed after every word"..."he said Gawwwd instead of God"...he "sucked"...etc...which we used to call finding fault with someone...just kinda strikes me as amusing, in a way, and i can't help but laugh.

I can understand that everyone has a right to their own opinions, and that is all most of you are doing is expressing your "view" of what you saw and heard, and we all know not everyone sees and hears the same thing, but i have to ask, if anyone of the people making these comments, and you know who you are, truely, believe they could have done any better...???

some complete replies i read gave the appearence of those that "think" they could pull off such a performance, and if that's the case then how come you aren't singing at "pro" games...or for that matter singing professionally...?

guess it's like sports...we have "armchair" baseball players/basketball players/foot ball players...so it's par for the course to have "armchair" musicians as well, i guess. ;)

just something i have observed while reading around...and had to say.

RMadd 10-28-2004 04:00 AM

I liked the way he sing it, it was different. at first, I was trying to see if my digital camera would work well enough to take good pics (zoom) of him, then i decided to try a video capture about 1/3 of the way thru... i don't have a usb 1.1 cable, but i'll see what it's like, hopefully not much background noise

StillACreedFan 10-28-2004 07:04 AM

He did a good job with a difficult song.

DekWannaBFlea 10-28-2004 12:32 PM

someone rip it.......

Dogstar 10-28-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Allusion
Hahaha...:laugh: i've read around several boards about this performance...some comments have been positive and a few on the border of "forgiving"...most of them focusing on his "looks"...which is not unexpected....but then there are the comments of him being "flat"..."it was out of his range"..."he breathed after every word"..."he said Gawwwd instead of God"...he "sucked"...etc...which we used to call finding fault with someone...just kinda strikes me as amusing, in a way, and i can't help but laugh.

I can understand that everyone has a right to their own opinions, and that is all most of you are doing is expressing your "view" of what you saw and heard, and we all know not everyone sees and hears the same thing, but i have to ask, if anyone of the people making these comments, and you know who you are, truely, believe they could have done any better...???

some complete replies i read gave the appearence of those that "think" they could pull off such a performance, and if that's the case then how come you aren't singing at "pro" games...or for that matter singing professionally...?

guess it's like sports...we have "armchair" baseball players/basketball players/foot ball players...so it's par for the course to have "armchair" musicians as well, i guess. ;)

just something i have observed while reading around...and had to say.

Why is it that you have to justify or make some excuse or blame so-called armchair musicians for what was a subpar performance? I'm a fan of Scott, too, and I frankly had hoped for a better performance, but I can admit it when my favorite artists aren't "on", and he wasn't. I watched it with other people who didn't even know who he was and every one of them thought he did a bad job.
It has nothing to do with being armchair musicians or artists. If it sounded bad to some people, it sounded bad. The man is not perfect; no artist is. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a change.

Bridge of Clay 10-28-2004 03:04 PM

Download is availble on PBF.

Ann Allusion 10-28-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

It has nothing to do with being armchair musicians or artists. If it sounded bad to some people, it sounded bad.

it may not have anything to do with being "armchair musicians" for some....but for others, it just might...and if you read the words below that appear in the origional post, dogstar, you will see that basically i agreed with what you have said above.

Quote:

Posted by Ann Allusion:

I can understand that everyone has a right to their own opinions, and that is all most of you are doing is expressing your "view" of what you saw and heard, and we all know not everyone sees and hears the same thing,

Quote:

The man is not perfect; no artist is. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a change.

There are no "rose colored glasses" here....despite what some may choose to believe...never felt the man as perfect...only human...nothing more...nothing less...but if i have to accept the label of wearing "rose colored glasses"...then so be it...for i would rather see the beauty in something than forever be picking it apart and searching for the negative.

He sang accapella...something not easy to do, without an ear prompter so he could hear the music...so of course the naysayers knew he wasn't lip syncing....he sounded a bit nervous..but covered it well...maybe a little flat...but then again...not as bad as others i have heard sing the song...as i saw it, he did the song quite well...with finesse...and put himself into it with passion, just as he seems to do with anything he chooses to sing...and i would suspect in his life in general...

Chase 10-28-2004 03:21 PM

I thought in this case... someone like Myles Kennedy would do a much better rendition. However, Scott did alright... but this song totally wasn't the type of song that fits his voice range. He was flat, but not horrible. It's a difficult song and his voice just couldn't keep up with it. Scott is still the man though!

Trimontana 10-28-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

Why is it that you have to justify or make some excuse or blame so-called armchair musicians for what was a subpar performance? I'm a fan of Scott, too, and I frankly had hoped for a better performance, but I can admit it when my favorite artists aren't "on", and he wasn't. I watched it with other people who didn't even know who he was and every one of them thought he did a bad job.
It has nothing to do with being armchair musicians or artists. If it sounded bad to some people, it sounded bad. The man is not perfect; no artist is. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a change.

Sweety, i knew that people from another forum will be putting knives on your back for saying that...specially when the comentary is negative against Scott. I saw the performance and i canīt say he sang bad...i just feel impartial cuz i canīt see anything special on it. Also Scott has a great voice i think that song doesnīt fit his voice...but i have to say he put all his feelings on it...so for once i canīt say anything bad against him...iīm being a good girl...

:D :D :D :D

Trimontana 10-28-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase
I thought in this case... someone like Myles Kennedy would do a much better rendition. However, Scott did alright... but this song totally wasn't the type of song that fits his voice range. He was flat, but not horrible. It's a difficult song and his voice just couldn't keep up with it. Scott is still the man though!

if Myles had sang the song i was being having orgasams over and over again...
i can believe i said that!!!!!!oooooppppppsssss........

:rolleyes:

RockGoddess 10-28-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

if anyone of the people making these comments, and you know who you are, truely, believe they could have done any better...???

Hell no I couldn't do any better! I can't carry a note in a bucket. But I also have the good sense not to attempt it in the first place.

creedlvr 10-28-2004 04:53 PM

I was too busy screaming with surprise since I didn't know he would be singing. Then my mom called to be sure I was watching and by then I didn't get to actually hear most of it. Thank God for Tivo! My mom called back when it was over and asked why he sounded out of breath.

After I re-listened to it, I did notice the "breathing thing" ... but I thought he did a good job. I can understand where some are coming from about sounding flat or maybe the song not really being in his typical range. It's not an easy song and I'm sure he had to have been nervous.

Anyway, I thought he did a good job!

creedlvr 10-28-2004 04:59 PM

I just want to clarify ... I'm not saying I think he sounded flat. I just think he was trying to keep it pretty mellow yet with feeling ... probably trying not to "overdo" it and then ending up not sounding good.

StillACreedFan 10-28-2004 06:31 PM

To all the poeple saying he did a bad job:

When's the last time you heard an extremely good rendition of God Bless America?

IChooseToFight 10-28-2004 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
Download is availble on PBF.

what is PBF?

edit: never mind, found out now

Torn Daredevil 10-28-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillACreedFan
To all the poeple saying he did a bad job:

When's the last time you heard an extremely good rendition of God Bless America?

Two nights ago... Amy Grant, even though I'm not a fan, was quite good.

Trimontana 10-28-2004 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IChooseToFight
what is PBF?

edit: never mind, found out now

www.passionbreedsfollowers.com

Helped you man???? :D :D :D :D

ctfan 10-28-2004 08:21 PM

This enitre thread is just freaking hilarious!!!! "rip it, rip it, rip it...I want to see, I want to see, where can find it??, who's got it??, gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!!!!!"

Why, when you aren't even a Stapp fan??..... :D

ctfan 10-28-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Allusion
There are no "rose colored glasses" here....despite what some may choose to believe...never felt the man as perfect...only human...nothing more...nothing less...but if i have to accept the label of wearing "rose colored glasses"...then so be it...for i would rather see the beauty in something than forever be picking it apart and searching for the negative...

I don't know about you Ann, but since many of us have been given that "rose colored glasses" label, I bet we'll look good in them. :D

Dogstar 10-28-2004 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellboy
Two nights ago... Amy Grant, even though I'm not a fan, was quite good.

Agreed.

Ann Allusion, I wasn't picking his performance apart and looking for the negative. I, like you, stated my opinion, but you never seem to think the man has an off night. He has, as have many other artists. On this night, I thought he had an off night. I didn't say it was terrible. I said he sound flat, a little nervous and his breath control was off. I thought he put a lot of feeling into it, but he didn't pull it off.

As to what others said about the difficulty of the song and such, that's irrelevant. He either nailed it or he didn't. In this case, I don't think he did. Just my opinion.

Dogstar 10-28-2004 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfan
This enitre thread is just freaking hilarious!!!! "rip it, rip it, rip it...I want to see, I want to see, where can find it??, who's got it??, gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!!!!!"

Why, when you aren't even a Stapp fan??..... :D

Just because some aren't as passionate about Stapp as you are does not mean they aren't fans. Most of the people here still enjoy Creed's music, and that includes Scott.

Steve 10-28-2004 08:39 PM

I think people are given that label because they think that every single thing an artist (in this case Stapp) does is perfect. You can be a fan and still admit you thought the artist (again, in this case Stapp) didn't sound good on a given night. It doesn't make you a "bad fan" to admit things like this.

As was said before, people I know who didn't even know who Stapp was said he sounded bad. So what?

benkenobi 10-28-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillACreedFan
He did a good job with a difficult song.

Well said.

Just to let you all know, I let my dad listen to it and he said he thought it was pretty good considering the circumstances. My dad is in a barbershop quartet and is a vocally trained bass. He said one can't imagine how hard it is to go out in front of a crowd like that and try to hit a pitch.

Acapella is one of the hardest things to pull off successfully. I have to say a job well done for Scott. I mean who could go out to sing at the last game of the World Series in front of thousands, not including the millions watching at home. Not I. :D

benkenobi 10-28-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
I think people are given that label because they think that every single thing an artist (in this case Stapp) does is perfect. You can be a fan and still admit you thought the artist (again, in this case Stapp) didn't sound good on a given night. It doesn't make you a "bad fan" to admit things like this.

As was said before, people I know who didn't even know who Stapp was said he sounded bad. So what?

Steve, all I have to say is that I give Scott props for going out there. People who sing acapella usually don't get the attention and media they deserve for their talent level. My dad sings barbershop and although that's not my bag, I respect that it is probably one of the tougher musical forms to master. Trying to hit a pitch, even from a familiar tune, is extremely difficult. You can't judge this performance like a Scott Stapp rock performance because there is no band backing him. He's out there exposed to millions of people and I thought it was a worthy performance for his type of style.

Dogstar 10-28-2004 10:15 PM

Ben, I give him props for going out there, and I know how hard it is to sing a cappella just in front of a few hundred people, never mind thousands. That being said, he could have sounded better.

benkenobi 10-28-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

Ben, I give him props for going out there, and I know how hard it is to sing a cappella just in front of a few hundred people, never mind thousands. That being said, he could have sounded better.

Dogstar I know what you're saying, but being flat is just one of the risks one has when they go out to sing acapella. It's something that even the best trained voices have problems with. I was referring more to the people that I've heard, like the ones Steve was referring to, that said the performance was flat out bad, without knowing how difficult it really is to pull something off like that. They had one of the the three tenors out there singing "God Bless America" the other night. Even with his expertise and pitchpipe in hand, he didn't sound the sharpest that he's ever been. It was because he is singing acapella without two other guys across from him to match pitches. I think for the style that Scott was trying to achieve, he did a commendable job. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't "bad" either.

Bridge of Clay 10-28-2004 10:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of Stapp no matter what.

the thing is... Stapp is struggling to hit the high notes. I'm really worried about him, coz it seems the damage on his vocal chords are permanent... I so hate the weathered tour, they should've cancelled it and gave the man time to rest and recover. (Stapp included in "they")

Steve 10-28-2004 11:04 PM

They should have cancelled the end of the Human Clay tour.. that's when it all started going downhill IMO...

Bridge of Clay 10-28-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
They should have cancelled the end of the Human Clay tour.. that's when it all started going downhill IMO...

why? what happened at the time? I wasn't part of any BB at the time, so I have no idea about it.

Dogstar 10-29-2004 01:16 AM

I think Steve's talking about the beginning of the damage to his voice, which kind of started at the end of the HC tour. If you listen to bootlegs from 1999 and before, the difference in his voice is really noticeable. I just hope the damage, if any, isn't permanent. It did seem too high for him, but then again, that could have been nerves, cutting off his air and such. He didn't seem to have command of his breathing, which can cause problems.

Steve 10-29-2004 02:27 AM

What Dogstar said ^^^ :)