CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What kind of English do you speak? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9070)

Higher_Desire 05-04-2005 01:45 PM

What kind of English do you speak?

Take the quiz and find out:
http://www.blogthings.com/amenglishdialecttest/

Here is my breakdown:
60% General American English
20% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

H-D :pimp:

Dogstar 05-04-2005 01:54 PM

Here's mine, but it's not entirely accurate. The question about water fountain/drinking fountain should have contained *bubbler*. That's pure Yankee :D

Your Linguistic Profile:
55% Yankee
25% General American English
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Trimontana 05-04-2005 02:06 PM

Your Linguistic Profile:
40% General American English
25% Yankee
20% Dixie
15% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Anna1011 05-04-2005 03:17 PM

Your Linguistic Profile:
50% General American English
30% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

scrit 05-04-2005 03:37 PM

65% General American English
30% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern

Makes sence since I live in New England
Although Ive never used any terms in # 10

Xterminator27 05-04-2005 03:40 PM

25% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Hayleys gona be pissed when she sees there no FIZZY option for the pop

Bridge of Clay 05-04-2005 03:41 PM

let's see how it goes for the foreign:

25% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

titan9 05-04-2005 09:45 PM

Me=

Your Linguistic Profile:
20% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie

creedsister 05-04-2005 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King X
25% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Hayleys gona be pissed when she sees there no FIZZY option for the pop

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa thats what i got 2 :confused: but sometimes i find that my american english comes out once in a while ..when im upset I never did get that Mabey It Was B/c Of My Great Me Maw When She Use To Yell At Me As A Kid ...

titan9 05-04-2005 11:18 PM

I wish Canadian would have been one of the five English things. I'm partly French Canadian, and my Canadian-ness comes out at times, eh!?!:laugh:

aussiecreeder 05-05-2005 02:40 AM

I would like to remind everyone (particulary those inside the United States) that there is no such word as mom. In fact the word is mum and if I hear you say mom again the Queen of England will get James Bond on your ass! ;)
Also it is not color but coloUr! lol

This has being a public service announcement by the Department of Proper Speaking under the authority of her majesty the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd of England.

Dogstar 05-05-2005 03:47 AM

^^^:laugh:

Ana4Stapp 05-05-2005 06:30 AM

Your Linguistic Profile: ;)

50% General American English
25% Yankee
20% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

PS: Humm, I loved blogthings site. I'll try other quiz... :rolleyes:

aussiecreeder 05-05-2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
^^^:laugh:

why thank you kerri i live to serve! ;)
how did this american spelling start in the first place?

Trimontana 05-05-2005 10:33 AM

What exactly means "Dixie"?

Mulletman 05-05-2005 10:44 AM

15% Dixie
10% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Higher_Desire 05-05-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecreeder
I would like to remind everyone (particulary those inside the United States) that there is no such word as mom. In fact the word is mum and if I hear you say mom again the Queen of England will get James Bond on your ass! ;)

This has being a public service announcement by the Department of Proper Speaking under the authority of her majesty the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd of England.

1)
mom
n : informal terms for a mother

mum
n. A chrysanthemum.
adj. Not verbalizing; silent.
interj. Used as a command to stop speaking.
n. A strong beer originally brewed in Brunswick, Germany.
intr.v To act or play in a pantomime. -- The act of mumming. To go merrymaking in a mask or disguise especially during a festival.

2)
It is not "coloUr" because letters in the middle of words are not capitialized.

3) Part A
Our George Bush could kick your Queen Elizabeth's butt any day of the week.

3) Part B
At least we have a ruler who actually lives in our country! :D

RMadd 05-05-2005 04:51 PM

Dixie is Southern: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Lousiana, Tennessee, South Carolina... perhaps North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia

20% Yankee
10% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

That's kinda funny, b/c I'm from the Midwest.... I wonder if maybe they mean rural Midwest? Of course, they didn't ask how I pronounce "44" (in St. Louis, it's something to the effect of "farty-far".... people from KC & rural MO down here have commented on how i have long A's.... very long A's. for example, "mom" would sound a little bit closer to "mahm")

RMadd 05-05-2005 04:57 PM

Quote:

are we the only former British colony that decided to not be a bunch of British tools and spell everything the exact same way? "mum" just sounds fucking douchey (is that a word?). here, "mum" is either a type of flower or meaning "quiet".

Trimontana 05-05-2005 06:40 PM

[quote=RMadd]Dixie is Southern: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Lousiana, Tennessee, South Carolina... perhaps North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia
QUOTE]
Thanks for the explanation man ;)

JulieCitySlicker 05-05-2005 07:27 PM

15% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
10% Yankee
0% Midwestern

aussiecreeder 05-05-2005 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higher_Desire
1)
mom
n : informal terms for a mother

mum
n. A chrysanthemum.
adj. Not verbalizing; silent.
interj. Used as a command to stop speaking.
n. A strong beer originally brewed in Brunswick, Germany.
intr.v To act or play in a pantomime. -- The act of mumming. To go merrymaking in a mask or disguise especially during a festival.

and which dictionary did this come from? ah not the oxford! ;) where does the english language come from? ah yes england i believe! lol the u.s of a is the only country in the english-speaking world (as far as i'm aware) that spells words differently and may i point out incorrectly! :p

Quote:

2)
It is not "coloUr" because letters in the middle of words are not capitialized.

you are right but i was just making a point.....now stop being lazy and put those u's pack in colour! lol

Quote:

3) Part A
Our George Bush could kick your Queen Elizabeth's butt any day of the week.

yeah but could he find her? he probably couldn't point to london on a map! :laugh:
Quote:

3) Part B
At least we have a ruler who actually lives in our country! :D

this is true we should be a republic by now but this country has being colonised for about 200 years now (officially australia in 1901) and there has never being a war of indepedence or civil war. also we don't spend millions of dollars to elect our head of state.

aussie 1:
higher desire:0

Chase 05-05-2005 08:55 PM

Quote:

It's "mom," not "mum." It's "favorite," not "favourite." It's "realize," not "realise." It's "defense," not "defence."

hahahahahahaha ;)

Anyway... here's my breakdown:
70% General American English
20% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

California English is actually it's own dialect... but I suppose that it's just incorporated into the "General American English." I went to visit family in Massachusetts during January... and they kept saying that I had an accent... probably because I pronounce the letter "r."

fluttergirl 05-05-2005 08:56 PM

DANG IT! IM A HICK.
oh well. i should have seen that one coming.
50% Dixie
30% General American English
10% Yankee
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern

Chase 05-05-2005 09:21 PM

Quote:

this is true we should be a republic by now but this country has being colonised for about 200 years now (officially australia in 1901) and there has never being a war of indepedence or civil war. also we don't spend millions of dollars to elect our head of state.

Maybe you guys need a declaration of independence because your head of state is an old women who sits in a palace in a completely different continent. I would rather ELECT my head of state, in my opinion. C'mon you Aussies... it's easy... we got our independence won by a rag-tag bunch of farmer minutemen (with some help from the French). :D

aussiecreeder 05-06-2005 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase
Maybe you guys need a declaration of independence because your head of state is an old women who sits in a palace in a completely different continent. I would rather ELECT my head of state, in my opinion. C'mon you Aussies... it's easy... we got our independence won by a rag-tag bunch of farmer minutemen (with some help from the French). :D

yeah but you guys elect a president and look what you've elected. there was clinton who did not have sexual relations with that woman! lol now there is bush who has such intelligence he can give inspiring quotes like "our enemies never stop thinking about ways to destroy us, and neither do we" or something like that! :laugh: what australia should do is simply replace the queen with a figurehead for a head of state that doesn't have any power and is not elected. the prime minister and his/her government continues to run the show, we just sever all ties with england. maybe we could challenge the poms to a game of cricket. if we win we're independent, if we lose we stay part of the commonwealth! we can't lose! :D

Chase 05-06-2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

yeah but you guys elect a president and look what you've elected. there was clinton who did not have sexual relations with that woman! lol now there is bush who has such intelligence he can give inspiring quotes like "our enemies never stop thinking about ways to destroy us, and neither do we" or something like that! :laugh: what australia should do is simply replace the queen with a figurehead for a head of state that doesn't have any power and is not elected. the prime minister and his/her government continues to run the show, we just sever all ties with england. maybe we could challenge the poms to a game of cricket. if we win we're independent, if we lose we stay part of the commonwealth! we can't lose! :D

Yes, look who we've elected. A man that has brought democratic governments to former totalitarian states like Afghanistan and Iraq. The elections in Afghanistan and Iraq have influenced the rise of freedom in Ukraine, Georgia (the European nation), Palestine, and Lebanon. Face it... Australia wouldn't lead a coalition to stand up to terrorists. Sure, you guys support our ventures (as seen in Iraq and we are very greatful for it) but no way in hell would you guys actually lead a war against a genocidal dictator that filled mass graves and raped the nation's little girls. You're making fun of the way George Bush speaks? Australians speak more broken English than America's biggest redneck. lol Just kidding. :D I love Australians... but you guys aren't necessarily known for your great linguistic skills either. The English think that we BOTH butchered their language (which we have).

All I have to say, is thankfully John Howard is your Prime Minister... and thankfully Great Britain is re-electing Tony Blair. G'day! :)

Higher_Desire 05-06-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

and which dictionary did this come from? ah not the oxford! ;) where does the english language come from? ah yes england i believe! lol the u.s of a is the only country in the english-speaking world (as far as i'm aware) that spells words differently and may i point out incorrectly! :p

Miriam-Websters

Quote:

you are right but i was just making a point.....now stop being lazy and put those u's pack in colour! lol

There is no U in color. Nor is there one in Labor.

Quote:

yeah but could he find her? he probably couldn't point to london on a map! :laugh:

I only said he'd kick her butt. I never said anything about finding her. Hell, you couldn't even find her in Buckingham palace the place is so huge.
Quote:

There has never been a civil war in your land because there have never been two opinions. You're told what to do and you do it. Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to elect a head of state when you don't have one. It's much easier to use another country's monarch.

Quote:

aussie 1:
higher desire:0

Aussie: 1
Higher Desire: 1

RMadd 05-07-2005 02:03 AM

Quote:

and yet we're the only one that doesn't completely suck lol

Quote:

i guess that pretty adequately explains why Australia is the single most powerful nation in the world. or Britain, for that matter. shit.

RMadd 05-07-2005 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase
California English is actually it's own dialect... but I suppose that it's just incorporated into the "General American English." I went to visit family in Massachusetts during January... and they kept saying that I had an accent... probably because I pronounce the letter "r."

:hammerlol that's fantastic! Wheah ah you fahm? but, pretty much every state or region has it's own dialect and what have you. and like i said above, i think the "midwestern" is prolly categorizing the rural midwest. i seem to generally use midwestern terminology (i've lived here since i was 3) and some southern phraseology ("y'all" and other words, tho generally for shits and giggles). so i dunno.

aussiecreeder 05-07-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Miriam-Websters

ah but its not the oxford....if you're looking for how to spell words in english a pommy publication needs to be used, not american spelling.

Quote:

There is no U in color. Nor is there one in Labor.

oh but there is.....what english countries beside the u.s drop the u from these words? exactly.......

Quote:

I only said he'd kick her butt. I never said anything about finding her. Hell, you couldn't even find her in Buckingham palace the place is so huge.

the queen is a useless old bag (with much worse children) but she served me well in winning this arguement! ;)

Quote:

There has never been a civil war in your land because there have never been two opinions. You're told what to do and you do it. Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to elect a head of state when you don't have one. It's much easier to use another country's monarch.

never had two opinions? that is a bit of an overstatement i think, last time i checked there were more than two political parties for a start. i didn't realise war was such a good thing. but again this is a country that takes pride in having the right to bear arms. actually for all intensive purposes the governor-general is the head of state but neither he nor the queen actually do anything.

anyway the joke has turned into another debate........lol

hayley 05-08-2005 07:54 PM

40% General American English
40% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

How I could come up with 40% Yankee I have no idea.

Oooh, this debate is interesting! Fight! Fight! FIGHT!

Ehe

Dogstar 05-08-2005 08:09 PM

The OED rules...Mine came with a Bausch & Lomb magnifying glass :thumbsup:

aussiecreeder 05-09-2005 06:51 AM

okay i'll show you a fight! back of the oval after school after all the teachers have left! :D

RMadd 05-09-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

okay i'll show you a fight! back of the oval after school after all the teachers have left! :D

oval? wtf is that? in my experience, it's either "by the flagpole" or "(behind or at some location) on the playground"

aussiecreeder 05-09-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
oval? wtf is that? in my experience, it's either "by the flagpole" or "(behind or at some location) on the playground"

the oval or the sports oval is generally at the back of the school and in this case is where anyone spelling mum "mom" shall be beaten to a bloody pulp! ;)

Chase 05-12-2005 04:08 AM

Yeah... I have never heard the term "oval." There you go again... making up words. :D

DangerousDan85 05-16-2005 05:09 PM

70% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern

i work at a grocery store and I hate when employees and customers call the shopping carts "buggies". it drives me nuts

RMadd 05-17-2005 12:23 AM

"sports oval"? still doesn't clarify anything for me. you mean like a "track" for "running" (or is it "ronning"?)?

aussiecreeder 05-17-2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
"sports oval"? still doesn't clarify anything for me. you mean like a "track" for "running" (or is it "ronning"?)?

well it could be a big field (for playing football on aussie, rugby or soccer) or it could be a running track with the area for field events contained therein. running unlike mom is an english word! ;)