CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Defining Creed's musical genre.... survey (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=3863)

velocityidp 07-26-2003 01:45 AM

Defining Creed's musical genre.... survey

Dogstar 07-26-2003 02:50 AM

They are definitely not nor have been *metal* anything, but with Weathered, I'd say they ventured more into the pop/rock category, though, there are some harder songs on that CD. MOP was definitely more hard rock IMO....
I'm not sure they really fit into one category per se...Is your point that they don't know what they want to be?

BTW, what's with all the polls, anyway? :D

velocityidp 07-26-2003 02:52 AM

Dunno, just thought I'd go poll crazy... lol.

I personally think Creed's "style" is grunge/metal because of tremonti's metal influences.

Dogstar 07-26-2003 02:59 AM

I think there is some grunge/metal influence, but I wouldn't classify them in that style. I don't think their music and lyrics are hard enough for metal. Rock, yes, but not metal. When I think of grunge/metal, I think Alice In Chains. AIC's lyrics also are a lot darker than Creed's and their guitar sounds are much heavier, thicker and gloomier in a lot of ways. I'm rambling...long day at work, so I apologize if I'm not making any sense. :D

hotforscott 07-26-2003 03:25 AM

I know I didn't really feel they fell into any of the categories listed above as well so I didn't vote.

I think the polls are much better then all of Jimmy's new threads...............lol, he must be acting in X's absence.

Dogstar 07-26-2003 03:28 AM

LMAO, Carrie...What are you doing up so late, by the way ;)?

hotforscott 07-26-2003 03:29 AM

I woke up when Daniel came in from work and I can't go back to sleep. I hate that.

Dogstar 07-26-2003 03:31 AM

Bummer! Well, I'm glad you popped in. Nice to see, no matter what the hour :D!

hotforscott 07-26-2003 03:35 AM

Thanks, you, too. Are you always on this late? I should actually try to get to bed, I have TONS to do tomorrow and I don't want to do any of it. It's like when I am off work, I am not really off. I wish I could take a vacation this coming week. I need it. LOL. I will see you on here soon. I need to force myself to bed, I have to get up early. Have a good night/day!

Dogstar 07-26-2003 03:48 AM

Hey, you have a good one, too! Yes, I'm typically on late at night, though I haven't been on as much lately...I've been so busy of late! Sleep well!

JenRN 07-26-2003 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hotforscott
I know I didn't really feel they fell into any of the categories listed above as well so I didn't vote.

I think the polls are much better then all of Jimmy's new threads...............lol, he must be acting in X's absence.

I agree they don't fit any of these. I think just plain ROCK would classify them best!

goddess_bb 07-26-2003 12:16 PM

Creed is not Metal...please..if you think they are metal you need to go buy a Metallica CD or Zombie CD..that's metal..you can hear some of Mark's "metal" influences in his gutiar work but I have always thought that Scott's lyrics are too soft to be considered metal...don't get me wrong I like Creed but they are more "rock" at best or sometimes pop rock at worst...

Bridge of Clay 07-26-2003 03:33 PM

creed is... creed rock!

facelessman 07-27-2003 02:49 AM

hmmm- the age old question...what is Creeds music. I really think thats hard to decide. i can hear a lot of Mark's metal influence in some of their songs. some of them remind me of Metallica. but its hard to classify Creeds music when they mix those hard riffs with the deep, emotional, and spiritual lyrics. i think their in a classification of their own, maybe along with 3 doors down.

Unforgiven Fan 07-28-2003 02:11 PM

weathered was "sculpture rock"
human clay was "hard rock"
MOP was "post - grunge hard rock"

they only resemblence to metal is some of the guitar parts mark does but that is the only thing. They have not gone into pop rock territory truely and they are not a pop rock band.

Lechium 07-28-2003 05:57 PM

Am I the only oen who puts them in pop section? But if they're not pop rock than who is?

JulieCitySlicker 07-28-2003 06:21 PM

Creed pop rock...nah;)

Lechium 07-28-2003 07:25 PM

who is than?

JulieCitySlicker 07-28-2003 08:08 PM

Not trying to bash them or anything;) But I think Linkin Park is kinda pop rock:) I like them though.

velocityidp 07-28-2003 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lechium
who is than?

Well, I don't think in any way that Creed is pop rock, but I must admit that Weathered got them kinda close.

Pop rock would be bands like "The Calling" or "Avril Lavine" or something like that.

Lechium 07-28-2003 08:59 PM

Pop = mass apeal (after all it's POPular)
creed is just that

JulieCitySlicker 07-28-2003 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by velocityidp
<b>Well, I don't think in any way that Creed is pop rock, but I must admit that Weathered got them kinda close.

Pop rock would be bands like "The Calling" or "Avril Lavine" or something like that. </b>

Ya;) The Calling and Avril kinda suck:eek:

velocityidp 07-28-2003 09:03 PM

Well Metallica is popular too... they're probably more popular than Creed.

Is Metallica pop rock? I mean heck, there are lots of popular hard rock bands out there. You can't just all of a sudden classify their style as "pop rock" once their fanbase crosses a certain threshold.

It's an esoteric term. I think "pop rock" is defined best as "rock-style" music that sounds like pure pop-music.

Lechium 07-28-2003 09:11 PM

Metallica is touring with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (and Kid Rock some time back). You tell me if they sold out (and therefoire are pop) or still are true to their roots.

JulieCitySlicker 07-28-2003 09:15 PM

Limp Bizkit:throwup: They ruined that tour:rolleyes:

velocityidp 07-28-2003 09:40 PM

Quote:

Metallica is touring with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (and Kid Rock some time back). You tell me if they sold out (and therefoire are pop) or still are true to their roots.

"pop rock" is a musical genre, like soft rock or hard rock or metal. In the classical sense, it has nothing to do with the amount of tickets you sell.

Hip hop is *very* popular nowadays along with rap. Do we therefore call rap music pop-music? Come on.

"pop" has always been associated with the typical NSync/Britney/Christina/Backstreet Boys/etc that's been out there forever.

Lechium 07-28-2003 10:09 PM

Quote:

<b>"pop rock" is a musical genre, like soft rock or hard rock or metal. In the classical sense, it has nothing to do with the amount of tickets you sell. &nbsp;

Hip hop is *very* popular nowadays along with rap. Do we therefore call rap music pop-music? Come on. &nbsp;

"pop" has always been associated with the typical NSync/Britney/Christina/Backstreet Boys/etc that's been out there forever. </b>

hip hop != rap, although some people dont know it.
commercial stuff aka pop is rap. Nelly and such are rap.
hip hop is more true to the roots, Jurassic 5, Black Eyed Peas, Mos Def and suchare hip hop.

it's not about tickets you sell, but it is about adapting your music to fit the market. If you conform -- you're playing pop, that's all there is to it.

velocityidp 07-28-2003 10:15 PM

"Conform" is a pretty general word. Lots of groups in the hard rock arena conform to the hard rock sound. So I guess they are pop-rock too?

Lechium 07-28-2003 10:30 PM

they are sellouts
99% of stuff on the radio is pop

velocityidp 07-29-2003 01:55 AM

Quote:

they are sellouts
99% of stuff on the radio is pop

So you're saying all bands that conform to the "hard rock sound" are sellouts? If your music attracts large crowds, you're a sellout? If your music is on the radio, you're a sellout pop artist?

Good grief, man, get back to reality. Musicians are not just some strange breed of people that merrily go about life not worrying about making money. Any serious musician -- even classical musicians -- want to make as much money as possible from their profession. We're not living in some dreamy wonderland.

Lechium 07-29-2003 01:58 AM

Quote:

<b>So you're saying all bands that conform to the "hard rock sound" are sellouts? If your music attracts large crowds, you're a sellout? If your music is on the radio, you're a sellout pop artist?

Good grief, man, get back to reality. Musicians are not just some strange breed of people that merrily go about life not worrying about making money. Any serious musician -- even classical musicians -- want to make as much money as possible from their profession. We're not living in some dreamy wonderland. </b>

I think you misunderstand word "conform".
When band changes their sound into a more commercial direction -- that's conforming.

p.s. not sure about "as much money as possible" clause thou. Mozart was poor to the point that he was buried in a commons grave. Some try to make as much money as they can, some are fine with just decent income.

velocityidp 07-29-2003 02:43 AM

Quote:

<b>I think you misunderstand word "conform".
When band changes their sound into a more commercial direction -- that's conforming.</b>

I think you misunderstood that I was talking about "conforming" as is "conforming to the 'hard-rock sound.'" There's a difference.

Quote:

Mozart was poor to the point that he was buried in a commons grave.

Mozart made a fortune but squandered it all. He lived in splendor until his personal deamons caught up with him. I kind of understand your point but he's a bad example.

Quote:

Some try to make as much money as they can, some are fine with just decent income.

Right. But you're saying the ones that want to make a lot of money are "sellouts." That's not necessarily true.

Lechium 07-29-2003 03:33 AM

Quote:

<b>I think you misunderstood that I was talking about "conforming" as is "conforming to the 'hard-rock sound.'" There's a difference.</b>

I was talking about conforiming to radio standarts, mtv and pop culture. As in changing what band originally was after it had got a record deal. Happens all the time.

Unforgiven Fan 07-29-2003 10:20 PM

well sometimes they change there sound because they, themselves, changed from all the things going on around them and not nessarly trying to embrace one or the other to sell more.

JulieCitySlicker 07-29-2003 11:42 PM

I agree Unforgiven Fan;) Very good point:P

Rune 07-29-2003 11:59 PM

I think it really differs from song to song...

I mean you've got epic songs like WAWO, Faceless Man etc.

Then you have like your mainstream stuff like My Sacrifice and One Last Breath

THen you have your hard rock/metal kind of stuff like Bullets, Freedom Fighter, Unforgiven, etc.

So it's really hard to say overall what kind of band creed is.

velocityidp 07-30-2003 12:05 AM

Yeah, but all I'm saying is that I fear a general progression toward the "mainstream."

To me, a lot is hanging on this next record. It's going to define weather I classify myself as a "Creed Fan" or an "Old-School Creed Fan."

Know what I mean?

facelessman 07-30-2003 01:37 AM

Lechium is right. when you have a big fan base or have lots of radio play, you are pop, but not pop as in that britney spears crap, but pop as in popular. people often get it confused, but there is a difference between pop music and pop(ular) music.

velocityidp 07-30-2003 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by facelessman
Lechium is right. when you have a big fan base or have lots of radio play, you are pop, but not pop as in that britney spears crap, but pop as in popular. people often get it confused, but there is a difference between pop music and pop(ular) music.

Uh, that's what I've been trying to say the whole time. ;)

facelessman 07-30-2003 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Unforgiven Fan
<b>weathered was "sculpture rock"
human clay was "hard rock"
MOP was "post - grunge hard rock"

they only resemblence to metal is some of the guitar parts mark does but that is the only thing. They have not gone into pop rock territory truely and they are not a pop rock band. </b>

I agree