CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Scott Stapp Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Stapp Confesses (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=10323)

Mrprophetman 01-25-2006 09:31 PM

Re: Stapp Confesses

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vliegs
Okay...you missed my point. I was completely parlaying the response you gave to RockGoddess right back at you to show you how juvenile your response was to her was to begin with.

If you're going to compare Stapp to Weiland you're going to have to pull more evidence that just Weiland for debating purposes. There are far more situations I could pull from showcasing a lead singer having the same behavior that Stapp exhibited and those bands going the exact same way that Creed did. Mr. Weiland, STP and Velvet Revolver are one of the exceptions to the rule. Not the common denominator throughout rock history which Stapp has followed and can be quite easily paralleled against.

*edited to add*

Alright. Answer me this....who's the member from Creed who's been marketing themselves not only as the voice of Creed, but the entire musical composer behind Creed's music in interviews? Who's the one who's banking off Creed's name and songs, instead of his own for his SOLO record, constantly in advertisements and radio publicity tour stints to grasp more sales for his own record? Who's said "I will be performing Creed songs without the rest of Creed" during the tour for his SOLO record? Who's the one holding up royalty and album sales payments to ALL of the members of Creed in court b/c he thinks he should get a bigger cut than anybody else?

RockGoddess has made quite a reputation for herself. She's pretty famous for her hatred of Stapp. Someone told me that she accused him of closing down his foundation because he was destitute and needed the money and that he stole from it...nice to see that now its the Scott Stapp Foundation. He's also tying in the foundation with his tour...you know....canned goods for the homeless...giving back to each community where he plays. So NO....I don't think my response was juvenile at all. I was pretty much stating the truth.

If I'm not mistaken Alter Bridge also used a connection to Creed...so has Stapp...I'm betting that its the record label insisting on that. I've seen copies of One Day Remains with a Creed reference on them. They wanna sell records..and they feel a connection to Creed may help that along. Tremonti didn't want to do it, but when he figured out that no body knew who Alter Bridge was, he allowed the connection to Creed. They sure as hell talked about Creed alot more than they ever did Alter Bridge in every interview they ever gave. As far as I'm concerned, Stapp did write most of the lyrics to Creed songs...you won't convince me it was Mark Tremonti. Tremonti has just as much right to play Creed songs as Stapp does, but he's stated that he hates the music...can't even stand to listen to it. Maybe if he played Creed songs, more people would actually attend an Alter Bridge show...since there are lots of people out there that never got to see Creed live. I'm sure that musically it would be to the letter, but don't know about that singer.

How about Ozzy Osbourne....he was whacked out on drugs...perscribed by the same shitty physician that treated Stapp. But hey....Ozzfest still went on. What's the matter with being an exception? I guess nobody wants to be an exception anymore, huh.

As for Stapp's legal wranglings, I have no idea...what, do you search all the public records in Orange/Dade County to search out who is suing who? But then maybe you are a lawyer or a paralegal. I got better things to do with my time.

Dogstar 01-25-2006 10:24 PM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken Alter Bridge also used a connection to Creed...so has Stapp...I'm betting that its the record label insisting on that. I've seen copies of One Day Remains with a Creed reference on them. They wanna sell records..and they feel a connection to Creed may help that along. Tremonti didn't want to do it, but when he figured out that no body knew who Alter Bridge was, he allowed the connection to Creed. They sure as hell talked about Creed alot more than they ever did Alter Bridge in every interview they ever gave. As far as I'm concerned, Stapp did write most of the lyrics to Creed songs...you won't convince me it was Mark Tremonti. Tremonti has just as much right to play Creed songs as Stapp does, but he's stated that he hates the music...can't even stand to listen to it. Maybe if he played Creed songs, more people would actually attend an Alter Bridge show...since there are lots of people out there that never got to see Creed live. I'm sure that musically it would be to the letter, but don't know about that singer.
If you read the early interviews, the guys tried hard to avoid talking about Creed. It's the interviewers who steered the conversation toward Creed and the breakup. I'm sure they finally got sick of the questions, so yeah, after a while, there was a lot of talk on their part about Creed, the breakup and Stapp. The media wouldn't let it rest because that's all they cared about really. They weren't really interested in the music that much, not the majority of the reporters, anyway.

nagpo 01-25-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
for me, it's:
HC > MOP > ODR > Weathered > TGD

for me its
MOP> HC and Weathered tie> TGD> ODR

TeriB19 01-25-2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
If you read the early interviews, the guys tried hard to avoid talking about Creed. It's the interviewers who steered the conversation toward Creed and the breakup. I'm sure they finally got sick of the questions, so yeah, after a while, there was a lot of talk on their part about Creed, the breakup and Stapp. The media wouldn't let it rest because that's all they cared about really. They weren't really interested in the music that much, not the majority of the reporters, anyway.

That's exactly what happened as I saw it, and I do believe that AB did try to avoid the Stapp comments as much as possible, but when all the media wants to know is "What happened??" and doesn't seem to care about the music, they finally had to start answering those questions to get to the musical questions.

Trimontana 01-26-2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

for me, it's:
HC > MOP > ODR > Weathered > TGD

For me at the time that Creed were together listen to them had sense but now i care about the present, even i still i think MOP and HC are awesome, i listen to ODR and i would choose it right now a thousand times more than the Creed albums. Another reason i do it's cause i love Myles voice and his capacity to sing. About TGD :rolleyes: i don't really care to be honnest, *who said AB lyrics are elementary'?, i had a couple of listens to the cd and i though that this was REALLY 'elementary' *he repeats himself more at the chorus than a tuna sandwich*. And the rest of the lyrics are nothing fabolous. He's very far, far away to be compared with the Creed lyrics he suposses he wrote.
And yeah, i am sure Myles will participate on the new album. At the sound check in Madrid last year they were trying to complete a new track between Myles and Mark...the song sounded beautiful. I really can't wait to new album to be released.

titan9 01-26-2006 11:26 AM

Compared to the Creed lyrics(namely on the first two CDs), AB's lyrics are, imo, fairly elementary. If Uncertain were here, I'm sure he'd back me up. I've been a lyricist for nearly two years now and have studied poetry in depth. As a result, I have come to be, well, a tough one to please when it comes to lyrics. I personally want something that is deep and isn't generic. I want something that really makes me think. To illustrate my point, I'm going to pull some examples from AB and other artists who I happen to think have really good lyrics.

AB:
"As your will is bent and broken
and every vision has been cast into the wind
as your courage crashes down before your eyes
don't lay down and die

'Cause I see in you
More than you'll ever know
And I ask you, "Why
You question the strength inside?"
And you need to know
How it feels to be alive"

U2:
"I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name

I want to feel sunlight on my face
I see the dust cloud disappear
Without a trace
I want to take shelter from the poison rain

We're still building
Then burning down love
Burning down love
And when I go there
I go there with you
It's all I can do"

AB:
"Looking back I clearly see
What it is that's killing me
Through the eyes of one I know
I see a vision once let go
I had it all

Constantly it burdens me
Hard to trust and can't believe
Lost the faith and lost the love
When the day is done

Will they open their eyes
And realize we are one
On and on we stand alone
Until our day has come
When they open their eyes
And realize we are one"

Creed:
"A court is in session, a verdict is in
No appeal on the docket today
Just my own sin
The walls are cold and pale
The cage made of steel
Screams fill the room
Alone I drop and kneel

Silence now the sound
My breath the only motion around
Demons cluttering around
My face showing no emotion
Shackled by my sentence
Expecting no return
Here there is no penance
My skin begins to burn"

AB:
"Drank so much last night I think that I drown
But now my cup is empty
No one has seen the will around and now my heart is aching
Sometimes I fall asleep for days
But now my bed is empty
I know I'm too set in my ways
Tell them all i'm okay

So burn it down
Discover the dusk of your day has reached it's dawn
So burn it down
Remember to find a new way to carry on"

Stapp:
"I met a man in New Orleans wore a half suit with dark blue jeans
Kicked his heels together winked at me real nice
I saw him from a mile away
But in my state of mind I let him make his play
"Hey boy, have you seen the other side?"
Yeah, in this man I saw the Devil's hand so I looked at him man to man
And said, "This time, it's gonna be a fight."

I do not have to justify
The way I live my life
I do not have to justify
The reason I'm alive...
No more...no more
Let me change the timbre of this section
Add a little booze to the ice
I guess you've probably noticed
I've been living a double life
We fly around like we were Superman
Live in another trance
A different way to dance
With dark romance
You get another chance to do that dirty dance
without consequence"

AB:
"Fight the fight alone
When the world is full of victims
Dims a fading light
in our souls
Leave the peace alone
Now we all are slowly changing
Dims a fading light
in our souls

In my opinion seeing is to know
The things we hold are always first to go
And who's to say we won't end up alone"

Creed:
"An artificial season
Covered by summer rain
Losing all my reason
Cause there's nothing left to blame
Shadows paint the sidewalk
A living picture in a frame
See the sea of people
All their faces look the same
So I sat down for a while
Forcing a smile
In a state of self-denial
Is it worthwhile
Sell my pity for a dime
Just one dime"

AB:
"Watch your words
or your words might drown you
and cure my wounds
and the light will blind you

to truelly see well you must have faith
oh the righteous they can't wait
a saving grace that all we know
let us pray
let us hold on

I can't breath
I prefer to find a ceiling to this hate of mine
I can't win
I can't fight no more
I'm drowning
and I'm sick inside..."

Creed:
"I spent a day by the river
It was quiet and the wind stood still
I spent some time with nature
To remind me of all that's real
It's funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone
And remember that you feel
I said It's funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone
And remember that you feel

Again I stand, Lord I stand, against the Faceless Man
Again I stand, Lord I stand, against the Faceless Man

Now I saw a face on the water
It looked humble but willing to fight
I saw the will of a warrior
His yoke is easy and his burden is light
He looked me right in the eyes, direct and concise to remind me
To always do what's right
He looked me right in the eyes, direct and concise to remind me
To always do what's right"

I'm just going to stop there(and I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to really illustrate my point). Don't take this as me bashing AB; I really love the band and the music they have put out. I'm a huge fan and they are one of my favorite bands. The vocals are amazing, the musical aspect of it is great. But the lyrics.....are the glaring weakness in AB, at least as far as I'm concerned. For me, they aren't deep, they don't make me think and are just a tiny bit generic. I know that Mark is capable of writing better lyrics(look at the chorus to MOP and the first verse of WTLF) than what is on this album. And I know Myles could have written better lyrics for ODR(look at what he did for FTR). Granted, Stapp's lyrics are nothing amazing on his solo CD.....but I do not view them as being quite as generic as ODR's. And I know that Stapp is capable of great lyrics, just judging by what he did in Creed. So my hope for Stapp's next CD, and AB's, is that they both come up with better lyrics that aren't generic and are good. I'm looking forward to seeing what both do, and no matter what, I'm still a fan of both. I love the music too much to not be a true fan.

Trimontana 01-26-2006 11:35 AM

You all can think i'm thick but i'm still thinking AB lyrics are great. I think i dont need smart words or complicated phrases to make me think or touch me. I respect all your opinions, and i'm a huge music fan, but i really feel the way AB put their music up and i dont mind if some people think their lyrics are elementary...each person make a different meaning listening their songs and get touch more or less.

IamFilthy 01-26-2006 11:58 AM

I totally agree with you, Tiatan. I feel that the lyrics of ODR are their only true weakness. Mark Tremonti is not a great lyricist,...never has been. And even he knows it,.....here is an exerpt from an interview with Mark in the April 2001 issue of Guitar World magazine :

GW: What do you each(Stapp and Tremonti) bring to the table?

Tremonti: I'm the heavy guy. When we first got together, Scott wasn't very well versed in rock n' roll music. He liked U2 and the Doors. He liked singers that told a story and had some substance in their lyrics. Scott is a brilliant lyricist; he writes real deep and meaningful stuff. I write music and hum stuff pretty well. I come up with garbage kind of words, some that stick and most that don't. So when we get together, I put all my effort into the music and he puts all his into the lyrics. Then we finish the melodies together. We fill each other's voids. I have trouble writing lyrics and Scott can't play guitar.

Dogstar 01-26-2006 01:06 PM

I agree that AB's lyrics aren't that great. They are serviceable, but I hope that Mark will hand over the writing to Myles, who does a better job, IMO. It's not so much that they are generic, but they seem to lack a certain passion. I mean, look at Trent Reznor. He doesn't write anything really complicated, but his words are full of a range of emotions, like anger, isolation, pain, rage, longing. The words make me think and feel. I just think some of those elements are missing in Mark's stuff. His passion comes through the guitar. One of my favorite lyricists is Eddie Vedder. That guy can tell a story, for real.

IamFilthy 01-26-2006 01:45 PM

I agree,....Eddie is one of the better lyricists of modern rock. I also like the lyrics of Maynard James Keenan of Tool and A Perfect Circle.

Dogstar 01-26-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamFilthy
I agree,....Eddie is one of the better lyricists of modern rock. I also like the lyrics of Maynard James Keenan of Tool and A Perfect Circle.

Same here.

titan9 01-26-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I agree that AB's lyrics aren't that great. They are serviceable, but I hope that Mark will hand over the writing to Myles, who does a better job, IMO. It's not so much that they are generic, but they seem to lack a certain passion. I mean, look at Trent Reznor. He doesn't write anything really complicated, but his words are full of a range of emotions, like anger, isolation, pain, rage, longing. The words make me think and feel. I just think some of those elements are missing in Mark's stuff. His passion comes through the guitar. One of my favorite lyricists is Eddie Vedder. That guy can tell a story, for real.

Yeah, that could be what it is, Dogstar. When I hear AB's lyrics, for most of the songs, nothing really clicks with me. I don't think and I don't feel when I hear the lyrics. The music and vocals do something for me, but not the lyrics. They're servicable lyrics, yes(ESPECIALLY compared to the garbage that currently resides on mainstream radio), but they're just not up to the same level as the music and vocals are. Judging by what Myles did with the verses of FTR, and what he did in MF4, I know that he'd write better lyrics than Mark does. Which is why I am hoping(and praying) that Myles does the lyrics for the next CD. If that is the case....I think the next CD is going to be amazing.

As for Vedder, I haven't heard a lot of PJ stuff, but what I have heard I do like. He seems to have very creative(and original) lyrics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmFilthy
I totally agree with you, Tiatan. I feel that the lyrics of ODR are their only true weakness. Mark Tremonti is not a great lyricist,...never has been. And even he knows it,.....here is an exerpt from an interview with Mark in the April 2001 issue of Guitar World magazine :

GW: What do you each(Stapp and Tremonti) bring to the table?

Tremonti: I'm the heavy guy. When we first got together, Scott wasn't very well versed in rock n' roll music. He liked U2 and the Doors. He liked singers that told a story and had some substance in their lyrics. Scott is a brilliant lyricist; he writes real deep and meaningful stuff. I write music and hum stuff pretty well. I come up with garbage kind of words, some that stick and most that don't. So when we get together, I put all my effort into the music and he puts all his into the lyrics. Then we finish the melodies together. We fill each other's voids. I have trouble writing lyrics and Scott can't play guitar.

Yeah, I kinda forgot about that quote. It is the truth, imo. Part of what made Creed so great was what Stapp and Tremo brought to the table: Stapp brought energetic vocals, meaningful lyrics, lots of charisma to the stage; Tremo brought catchy riffs, really good solos, passion on the guitar. Like Tremo said, they filled each other's voids.

IamFilthy 01-26-2006 10:20 PM

Yeah, I kinda forgot about that quote. It is the truth, imo. Part of what made Creed so great was what Stapp and Tremo brought to the table: Stapp brought energetic vocals, meaningful lyrics, lots of charisma to the stage; Tremo brought catchy riffs, really good solos, passion on the guitar. Like Tremo said, they filled each other's voids.

Only makes it all the more tragic

Mrprophetman 01-26-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vliegs
Okay...you missed my point. I was completely parlaying the response you gave to RockGoddess right back at you to show you how juvenile your response was to her was to begin with.

You want to know what I call juvenile? A fake Florida driver's license with a picture of a baboon on it.

RMadd 01-27-2006 12:55 AM

I'm really hoping Myles writes the lyrics for the next album. Tru sounded too much as though Stapp had gotten into his head (lyrically speaking). I guess I can't blame him, since that's what he was around for the better part of 10 years. But, in listening to The Mayfield Four and Alter Bridge, I find Myles' writing (esp. on Second Skin, which I absolutely love) to be superior. He doesn't write metaphorically, like Mark does. It's not necessarily bad, but if Mark wants a kick-ass metal band, and to ditch comparisons to Creed, Myles needs to take over.

MissSeeker 01-30-2006 08:25 AM

It's so strange that someone with 30 million fans can still feel hated.

Bridge of Clay 01-30-2006 09:04 AM

in all honesty, just because they sold over 30M records it doesn't mean they have 30M fans.

I have albuns from bands I'm not a fan... and many of them I bought for a song or two. And there are other CDs I don't even listen to anymore.

Ana4Stapp 01-30-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

I'm really hoping Myles writes the lyrics for the next album. Tru sounded too much as though Stapp had gotten into his head (lyrically speaking). I guess I can't blame him, since that's what he was around for the better part of 10 years. But, in listening to The Mayfield Four and Alter Bridge, I find Myles' writing (esp. on Second Skin, which I absolutely love) to be superior. He doesn't write metaphorically, like Mark does. It's not necessarily bad, but if Mark wants a kick-ass metal band, and to ditch comparisons to Creed, Myles needs to take over.

You said everything!!!! ;)

The Lithium 01-30-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titan9
And if I factored in Alter Bridge and Stapp, it'd be like this: MOP>HC>ODR>TGD>Weathered.

Mine: TGD>MOP>W>HC>ODR

titan9 01-30-2006 01:45 PM

So you like TGD best of all? :D

I'm pretty sure you probably meant it like this:
ODR>HC>W>MOP>TGD

Because > represents(at least in mathematical terms) greater than, so in this case, ODR is greater than Human Clay which is greater than Weathered which is greater than My Own Prison which is greater than TGD. Unless you suddenly became a huge Scott Stapp fan.....in which case, perhaps you do like TGD best. :laugh:

Ana4Stapp 01-30-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titan9
So you like TGD best of all? :D

I'm pretty sure you probably meant it like this:
ODR>HC>W>MOP>TGD

Because > represents(at least in mathematical terms) greater than, so in this case, ODR is greater than Human Clay which is greater than Weathered which is greater than My Own Prison which is greater than TGD. Unless you suddenly became a huge Scott Stapp fan.....in which case, perhaps you do like TGD best. :laugh:

LOL!!!!! I thought the same: Lith liking TGD better than ODR?????? :rolleyes:

Trimontana 01-30-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSeeker
It's so strange that someone with 30 million fans can still feel hated.

He wish :rolleyes:

MissSeeker 01-31-2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
in all honesty, just because they sold over 30M records it doesn't mean they have 30M fans.

I have albuns from bands I'm not a fan... and many of them I bought for a song or two. And there are other CDs I don't even listen to anymore.

Obviously 30 million people liked Creed otherwise they wouldn't buy the albums.

Bridge of Clay 01-31-2006 12:07 PM

there's still a difference between liking Creed and liking a couple Creed songs.

I still listen to Creed, mainly Human Clay but still many people have it collecting dust on their shelves...

titan9 01-31-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
there's still a difference between liking Creed and liking a couple Creed songs.

I still listen to Creed, mainly Human Clay but still many people have it collecting dust on their shelves...

That is very true. My brother-in-law bought Creed's "Human Clay" because he enjoyed "With Arms Wide Open"(and it had a special meaning for my bro-in-law). He still has the CD, but it is collecting dust in his CD case. He hasn't touched it in years and isn't a Creed fan. Same can be said for my bro who bought "Weathered". He ended up not liking the CD all that much and that CD is collecting dust as well.

The thing is, before downloading became big, a lot of people were forced to buy CDs just for one or two good songs. I'm willing to bet that at least 20-40% of those who bought the three Creed albums did so for one or two big singles(Higher and WAWO, probably). I highly doubt that there's more than 10million true Creed fans out there. I mean, I know, a lot of the true fans probably aren't proclaiming their fandom because of the hit that Creed took after they became big(when hating Creed became the cool thing to do), but I still doubt that there are 20 million Creed fans out there.

Just my opinion.

Trimontana 01-31-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Obviously 30 million people liked Creed otherwise they wouldn't buy the albums.

30 million people liked Creed music and not neceserrally liked Stapp, thats different

MissSeeker 02-01-2006 08:52 AM

I beieve Scott's personality is expressed in Creed music.

Trimontana 02-01-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

I beieve Scott's personality is expressed in Creed music.

Yeah, but once again Creed wasn't just Stapp. Creed were 3 more people as well. Without music theres no song and maybe Stapp wrote the lyrics but without Tremonti Stapp lyrics were nothing. A song can be instrumental but words without music isn't a song.

MissSeeker 02-01-2006 10:39 AM

I agree, but in my opinion Scott contributed to all parts of the sound.

Dogstar 02-01-2006 11:59 AM

I'm sure he did, vocally, but he didn't write the riffs and arrangements.

creediscool17 10-07-2009 12:39 PM

interesting that he went to rehab... on the cleveland promo interview this past summer he claimed that he just quit cold turkey and then he went in the bathroom and shaved his head... ?????

TrulyAmazing 10-14-2009 09:05 AM

really this thread is kinda of old there was a lot speculating as of why he shaved his head in all but it was done for the troopers and promotion for that tour made a statement that im with ya thats kinda cool

Redeemer 10-14-2009 11:08 PM

This thread is kinda long, is what it is. Yegods.

But since I could not recall having read the article (although I remember the first line distinctly, oddly enough), I read it... and damn. I had not even realized how young Stapp is. All of them, really, but I mean. Damn.

TrulyAmazing 11-20-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer
This thread is kinda long, is what it is. Yegods.

But since I could not recall having read the article (although I remember the first line distinctly, oddly enough), I read it... and damn. I had not even realized how young Stapp is. All of them, really, but I mean. Damn.

yes indeed very young very young im refering to the dazeeeeeees of MOP ya,alls