Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
WAWO trip to Washington DC [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : WAWO trip to Washington DC

Frankie
09-02-2003, 09:27 PM
http://www.witharmswideopen.org/default.cfm

Just click in the text under the picture to get to the journal.

I thought some of you might enjoy reading what WAWO and Scott did for their summer project this year. There is quite a bit to read...but well worth the time.

Just so nice to read about the wonderful things Scott does with the foundation.

This is a post from the pit from someone who went on the trip.

Wanted to tell you all about the great experience I had this summer with my daughter, Kate... all thanks to Scott Stapp.

I entered the With Arms Wide Open Foundation annual Parent/Child summer trip contest. I had to write a letter answering the questions and explaining why I felt Kate and I would benefit from the trip and why we otherwise could not afford to go on this trip. I could not believe this, but 3 weeks later I received a call from Cindy McNeely, director of WAWOF, and she told me that Kate and I had been selected. There were over 200 applicants and only 10 parent/child couples were chosen. We were so excited!!!!!! We left three weeks later for Washington DC, all expenses paid.

We stayed at a beautiful luxury motel at the Washington Mall. We had an awesome tour guide group, Close-Up Foundation, with two wonderful guides that led us on a whirlwind tour of Washington DC. We saw the Museum of American History, Natural History, the Air and Space Museum, the National Zoo, Mount Vernon, the Vietnam, Korean, and Lincoln, and Jefferson Memorials, the Marine Corps Band, Arlington Cemetery, The Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, we toured the US Capitol, sat in a session of Congress, and with the hard work of Cindy and Scott, even got to tour the White House.

I just can't tell you all how special this trip was for Kate and I and for the other families involved. At the end of the seven day trip, most of us had bonded quite strongly with the other families. What a great group.

On our last night there, we all got together in the hotel banquet room for our final meal together. Right before dinner, the phone rang in the room, which I thought was odd. Cindy answered it and told Matt it was for him. (Matt was the oldest boy on the trip, he's 16.) He took the phone and got this weird look on his face and just sat there silent. Finally Cindy said to Matt, "It's Scott Stapp!" Matt's face was classic. Total surprise and disbelief. Anyway, Scott talked to each child, taking his time and speaking personally with information he received from Cindy. When he spoke with Kate, he mentioned all of Kate's cats and they talked about cats for awhile. She also told him thanks and that we were big Creed fans. He seemed to appreciate that. None of the adults got to talk to him, but that was okay. The kids were totally pumped about it!!

Just wanted to share this amazing experience with you...the trip to DC really helped Kate and I. We experienced something together that we will always remember, even in 20 years from now. I am so thankful to Scott Stapp and WAWOF for making this possible for us. I never thought we would win the trip, so it was just so wonderful!!

If you want to see pictures of the trip, you can go to www.witharmswideopen.org (http://www.witharmswideopen.org) and see the trip pictures and Cindy's interactive diary. It shows everywhere we went and what we did. Pretty cool.

One more thing...I found it interesting that myself and one other woman were the only Creed fans in the group. Most were indifferent and some had never heard of Creed at all. (gasp) So I got to do some explaining of what a great band Creed is to those who had never heard of Creed. Plus Cindy played DSD and some other songs on our final dinner night together.

Shimane

JenRN
09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
That is just spectacular!!!! I live 40 miles form DC and know the great things there are to see there! How awesome for the kids and thier families. Another reason why I love Creed and Stapp so much!:wub:

s.floridagirl
09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Congrats Shimane. What an experience you and your daughter will never forget! Stapp is the man!!!

facelessman
09-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Thats awesome. Thats a great experience

Julbright
09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Scott Stapp ROCKS! HE is soooo dreamy

JenRN
09-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I just looked at some of the pics from the trip, it brings tears to my eyes to see those kids so happy! What a great thing this foundation does, hats off to CREED!:bow:

TeriB19
09-02-2003, 10:17 PM
That was really a nice post, thanks Frankie! By the way, I got an email from the Foundation a few days ago thanking us for the school supply donations, and asking to start thinking about their Christmas collection this year. So the time is getting near to start donating any items you may be able to donate. I'm sure the list will be out soon!!

JenRN
09-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Yeah I really enjoyed sending things to them for Christmas last year, I will have to start collecting things now!:D

Frankie
09-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Teri, I am a member of WAWO also, but for some reason never get any of the e-mails.
Would you keep us posted when you get an update?
Thanks!

ZION1010
09-02-2003, 10:44 PM
thats a great honor for you and your daughter.....god....bless

TeriB19
09-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Sure Frankie! One of us usually posts about it when we hear from them about the different drives they have.

JulieCitySlicker
09-03-2003, 12:04 AM
That is very cool Frankie:dancing: Thanks for sharing this with us:P

Kim V.
09-03-2003, 11:18 AM
What an awesome thing to do!! Kudos to Stapp and Creed and all the WAWO staff for all the great things they do to help the kids!! That is an experience I'm sure none of those families will ever forget, and for Scott to take the time to talk to each of the kids personally was extra special!! That guy has such a big heart!

whocares
09-03-2003, 11:43 AM
I think its funny he was talking about cats....lol.. I understand he's a big cat fan...Good story by the way

ZION1010
09-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kim V.
What an awesome thing to do!!  Kudos to Stapp and Creed and all the WAWO staff for all the great things they do to help the kids!!  That is an experience I'm sure none of those families will ever forget, and for Scott to take the time to talk to each of the kids personally was extra special!!  That guy has such a big heart! YEP

Dogstar
09-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Wow, what a great story, Shimane. Thanks for sharing that. It's good to see the positives that can come out of celebrity.

Jez
09-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Thanks Frankie!

katzthatsme
09-05-2003, 07:37 PM
i dont know wut i am sayibg thank u 2 but thank you