++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 01-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #16
souldancer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Hard not to be long-winded, when there are so many lyrics that connect with how to LIVE in this world --

IN AMERICA
Only in America
We're slaves to be free

Makes me think of the hypocrisy of being in this free country, but as individuals how easy it is to get caught up in the social rules, expectations, ‘norms’, societal, cultural and religious morality with all the ‘shoulds’ that an individual’s free thinking and own opinions, beliefs can be sold into slavery of other people’s ideas and wishes IF I allow it ..

MOP
Shackled by my sentence
Expecting no return
Here there is no penance

Feeling misery from accepting responsibility for the situation and realizing at the same time that no other human can really free me from this pain.

ILLUSION
This life remains the same
But I change

Internally I change through learning, growing, expanding perceptions and beliefs so it only APPEARS that the outside changes - when it is mostly my point of view that really does.

OLB
Sad eyes follow me
But I still believe there’s something left for me

The song that reached out to me while I was in darkness to remind me to keep on living.

Who's Got My Back
There’s still time
All that has been devastated
Can be recreated

OH! This song really connects - as a biologist, earth lover and concerned with creating hope in children's lives...helps me keep the faith and strive forward.

WEATHERED
I think I’m holding on to life too tight
Slapped me in the face to my old conservative, fearful ways of living and judging...made me more free to open up, to be lighter, looser, risk more and live more passionately

Don't Stop Dancing
But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many
feel this way

Pumps up the 'will' when it is low..., makes me feel humble and get out of my self-pity

Don't Stop Dancing, Believe you can fly!
Just as CreedKevin said! Brings tears to my eyes. I would love to just jump on the desk and yell this to my students, and take the video downtown to the homeless teens - TRULY INSPIRING -and could change generations!

THANK YOU SCOTT & MARK FOR THESE WISE WORDS TO LIVE BY!
Old 01-03-2003, 12:37 AM   #17
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
2 examples out thousands... you know the good done for all this people...

now I ask you if it´s fair the way they´ve been bashed...
Old 01-03-2003, 04:13 AM   #18
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
SD, you are right, so many lyrics to live by...here's my hopefully not too long-winded contribution.

Stand Here With Me:
I know Scott has related this song to the fans, but this always makes me think of my parents, who guided me and instilled in me the courage to pursue whatever I wanted to do. We were always told never to say we couldn't do anything without having given it a good try first. The line that gets me most is: I'll give you everything I am, and still fall short of what you've done for me. I could never repay them for what they have given me.

Hide:
Let's leave all this and get away, get lost in time. Where there's no reason left to hide. These words liberate me when I feel beaten down by all the expectations of family, friends and society in general. I feel as if I can take off the masks that keep me from being me and just be free. The closest I feel to free is when I'm hiking somewhere, at the beach, or listening to rock n roll and being totatlly uninhibited.

Ode
One touch on the head and we believe. This makes me think about the blind faith that some religions espouse and the whole issue of conformity and not being able to express yourself without inviting the wrath of society's *followers*. It's like, don't question anything, just believe what we tell you, be a good girl, follow the rules and don't make waves. It's almost a suffocation of the true spirit.

There are many more, but these are a few that come to mind.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:35 AM   #19
hotforscott
USER INFO »
You are so right, Dogstar! This is an awesome thread, it is so neat to read things from everyones point of view. I have heard "stand here with me" was about the fans also, but it makes me think of my husband because we have been through so much and he is the most wonderful person on this planet. I couldn't have found a better person to spend my life with. It has been great reading everyones thoughts on the lyrics. I need to post mine soon.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:32 AM   #20
tru2mine
USER INFO »
the way things are going these are some lyrics i repeat alot, "please help me find a place, somewhere far away I'll go and you'll never see me again."
Old 01-03-2003, 12:22 PM   #21
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by hotforscott
This is an awesome thread, it is so neat to read things from everyones point of view.

Amen, this the kind of stuff we should be talking about, what the music means to us and how it has affected us. Kevin, thanks again for reminding us why we like this band!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:07 PM   #22
JenRN
USER INFO »
WOW! Creed's lyrics have meant so much to us all!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 01-03-2003, 10:42 PM   #23
souldancer
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
I'll give you everything I am, and still fall short of what you've done for me. I could never repay them for what they have given me.
Yes DS. I feel that too and just hope they know how deeply they have contributed to so many fans. Creed is a priceless gift of healing and joy!
Old 01-03-2003, 11:09 PM   #24
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
With Arms Wide Open
Welcome to this place, I'll show you love, I'll show you everything.
Now everything has changed.
I hope he's not like me.
There is so much uncertainty in being a parent, everything changes. Nothing in your life is ever the same once you have brought another life into this world. You always worry that you are doing enough, doing the right thing, teaching them the things they need to know, and you always want them to be better than you were and have better than you had. When Scott sang that song on NYE and cried through the whole thing I was so deeply moved. I know I have a hard time sometimes being a good parent, and I'm not touring with the best rock band in the world. You can only do your best and hope that's good enough.

Wash Away Those Years
She whispered softly to tell her story, about how she had been wronged.
Do not hide your tears, they were sent to wash away those years.
I know this decadence is shared by millions REMEMBER YOU'RE NOT ALONE!
I am amazed that this song was written by a man in his early 20's (Scott's age at the time this was written). How can one young man understand the pain that comes with the abuse that takes place behind closed doors of young girls (or boys for that matter)? But he couldn't have nailed it any better if he had tried. It is more commonplace than anyone knows, I'm sure. But to reach out and tell the abused to not keep things locked inside, that it's not good to hide (No reason to hide?), show the emotion (which he did openly on NYE) and that no one is ever alone. There are always people there that can understand one's situation. This is one very very moving song.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 01-04-2003, 12:24 AM   #25
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: When Scott sang that song on NYE and cried through the whole thing I was so deeply moved.

I don't have kids, but I was deeply moved as well. We all cried along with him as he tried to get through it and just released all that emotion. It was intense, and I really just wanted to hug him.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:29 AM   #26
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Me too, but I couldn't so I hugged you and KBoo instead.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 01-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #27
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Old 01-04-2003, 12:40 AM   #28
Kim V.
USER INFO »
OK, I know Scott doesn't like Creed being labeled a Christian band, but I'm a Christian and therefore perceive alot of the lyrics from a spiritual point of view. So please be patient, and don't bash, OK? My Own Prison - I hear a thunder in the distance, see a vision of a cross, I fell the pain that was given on that sad day of loss. A lion roars in the distance, only He holds the key; a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally.
Faceless Man - All lyrics from "Now I saw a face on the water" to the end of song.
Higher - Whole song I believe speaks of heaven/being in the presence of the Lord, and escape from this world we live in.
Inside Us All - Life can hold you down when you're not looking up.
There's a peace inside us all (Holy Spirit)
In America - Some lyrics have to do with the "show" put on on some churches, which is sad, instead of true worship to the Lord, which is a personal relationship. Made me see my Christianity in a whole new light.
Bullets - I know I have something free; I have something so alive; I think they shoot 'cause they want it. The something free and so alive is salvation, and those jealous of that shoot "fiery darts" at you.
Freedom Fighter - I'm just a freedom fighter, no remorse, raging on in holy war...
Who's Got My Back - The covenant has been broken by mankind
Leaving us with no shoulder to rest our head on. The lines about all that has been devastated being recreated, is about renewing our relationship with the Lord, therefore having a shoulder to rest our head on. Give ourselves to each other in love. (Jesus' greatest message was what Scott always says: Love One Another) When all we have left is deceptive, so disconnected; what is the truth now? This world is deceptive, we are so disconnected from all that is true and real. The Lord is the only real truth.
One Last Breath - I think the whole song speaks of being at the lowest point you can be, and calling on the Lord to hold you; the part where Scott sings "'cause I still believe there's something left for you and me refers to not giving up on your life, because God has a purpose for you, and you want to see what that purpose is.
My Sacrifice - Speaks of renewing a relationship with the Lord. The memories of perfect love... only God gives perfect, UNCONDITIONAL love. I just want to say hello again... The Lord asking you to let Him be there in your heart again.
Stand Here With Me - Most of the song speaks of how the Lord is always with you, reaching out to you, helping you believe, showing you there's a right way to live, showing us how to love unselfishly, He's our daily dose of reality.
Weathered - The day reminds me of you; the night hides your truth; the earth is a voice speaking to you... I've seen Scott look heavenward more than once (TV and live show) when singing this.
Hide -To what do I owe this gift my friend? My life, my love, my soul? (The gift of eternal life). What are you going to do with your gift dear child? Give life, give love, give soul? (What will you do with the gifts/talents God gives you? Give of yourself (which Scott TOTALLY does!)
Don't Stop Dancing - Hey God I know I'm just a dot in this world; Have you forgot about me? Whatever life brings, I've been through everything, and now I'm on my knees again.... Even though circumstance may seem like God's not listening or there for you, He always is, and I'm on my knees again asking for him to carry me through.
Lullaby - Speaks of being in the Lord's peace, and every day He gives us life; shows us to just give love to all (again, Jesus' greatest message was that of love)
The title of Human Clay could refer to us being clay in the Lord's hands (there is scripture that refers to the Lord being the potter at the wheel and we are His clay, and He molds us)
OK, I hope that wasn't too spiritual for some of you, LOL. Stapp has said he will leave it to the listener to interpret the meanings behind his lyrics; that is how I interpret just some of them. Some lyrics I didn't even mention may seem like just poetry to you, but I see them as his version of some scripture passages; just in his own words. I hope he doesn't take offense to my interpretation; I know he doesn't like being labeled with the Christian label for the band; it's just how their music makes me feel; like no other band/musician has ever touched my soul like Scott's lyrics can. Sorry this is so long; his lyrics are so meaningful, it's hard to keep short!!! Peace.... and let's give love to all...... Kim V.

If there's one thing I hope I showed you... Just Give Love To All

Next Time I See This Face, I'll Say I Choose To Live For Always....So Won't You Come Inside and Never Go Away

There's Still Time...All That Has Been Devastated Can Be Recreated.....Realize, We Pick Up The Broken Pieces Of Our Lives, Giving Ourselves to Each Other, to Rest Our Head On
Old 01-04-2003, 02:53 AM   #29
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
That's the beauty of music, Kim V. It touches people in many different ways and there really isn't a wrong way or a right way to interpret. It's how it affects you, what it makes you feel, what it makes you think about. It's different for everybody.

Take for instance, how you see the line, "There's a peace inside us all. " I can see your interpreting it that way.

I see something different. For me, that song speaks of making peace with who you really are, listening to your soul, accepting what your life is about, letting go of the past. When you become friends with your true self it liberates you to do whatever it is you're supposed to do in this life.

There are as many interpretations of one line in a song as there are people.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:37 AM   #30
JenRN
USER INFO »
Creed is just plain an simply AWESOME!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"