++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 12-28-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
Altair
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Cool Quotes

<span style='color:indigo'> "The listener, who listens in the snow,
nothing himself...beholds the nothing that is."

—Wallace Stevens (1879-1955) </span>

Woe, "nothing himself," that's heavy.

Any interpretations? Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Rebuttals?

I love good quotes. Have any?

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 12-31-2002, 03:02 AM   #2
souldancer
USER INFO »
...."nothing himself" - makes me think about losing oneself, getting out of the way of any concepts like time and space - to emptiness - or to a pure oneness - like a beautiful blanket of soft, white snow.

Some quotes...

“...if you can really open your eyes just for a moment, you will see that…in getting up in the morning, in dressing, in going to work, in sitting in a train, in washing your hands, in greeting a friend in the street,…everyday life and experience is the supreme religious experience.” – Alan Watts

“The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it.” William James

"Wisdom comes by disillusionment" - George Santayana
Old 01-01-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear. - Mark Twain

Every problem in your life carries a gift inside it. - Richard Bach

There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. - John F. Kennedy

People ask you for criticism, but they only want praise. - W. Maugham

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start my friend, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end. - Carl Bard

No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, turn back. -Unknown

The difference between truth and fiction: Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress. - Alfred A. Montapert

Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him. -- Epictetus

Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight. -- Helen Keller

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. - Samuel Johnson

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for? -- Robert Browning

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Him with their lips then walk out the door and deny Him by their life styles. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. --Christian Rock Band DC Talk

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. --Martin Luther King Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. --Eric Hoffer

We all have strength enough to endure the misfortunes of others. --Francois de La Rochefoucauld

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. --Friedrich Nietzsche

When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable. --Madeleine L'Engle

"Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith."
Saint Francis of Assisi (1181 - 1226)

When you wish to instruct, be brief; that men's minds take in quickly what you say, learn its lesson, and retain it faithfully. Every word that is unnecessary only pours over the side of a brimming mind. --Marcus Tullius Cicero

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. --Mahatma Gandhi

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. --Douglas Adams

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it. --Bob Hope

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. --Frank Leahy

To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. --Gustave Flaubert

With stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. --Friedrich von Schiller

There is no nonsense so gross that society will not, at some time, make a doctrine of it and defend it with every weapon of communal stupidity. --Robertson Davies

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --Martin Luther King Jr.

Books are hindrances to persisting stupidity. --Spanish Proverb

Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world. --Werner Herzog

The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity and until they do (and find the cure) all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. --Richard Feynman

To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity. --Friedrich Nietzsche

~~~~~I am my kid's mom.~~~~~

~~~My Diary~~~~My Photos~~~
Old 01-02-2003, 07:06 PM   #4
souldancer
USER INFO »
Love that one from Gandhi! The ocean and water give us a beautiful metaphor for many aspects of life and living! I have one on my bb about the 'pure salt as the pain of life'. "If you take a tablespoon of salt and put it in a glass of water, you taste the bitter salt. But if you take the tablespoon and place it in a lake, you taste freshness. It is not that amount of pain we have, but the vessel we put our pain into that changes our experience." This story helps remind me to get out of my self-pity and get out in the world, in the community to lend a hand to friends to volunteer - to expand.

"One must still have chaos in oneself
to be able to give birth
to a dancing star"
-- Nietzche
Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
hotforscott
USER INFO »

This is so true LadyV!
Old 01-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #6
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
Quote: Originally posted by hotforscott

This is so true LadyV!

Yes it is so very true. So often, though I tend to forget that. As I look back I see that most of the gifts that my proplems carried inside were things that helped me grow stronger...

I feel 2003 is the year of spiritual transformation for me.

I'm rambling now so I'll just hush now.

:embarass:

~~~~~I am my kid's mom.~~~~~

~~~My Diary~~~~My Photos~~~
Old 01-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
Altair
USER INFO »
originally posted by L.V.
Quote: Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him. -- Epictetus

Yeah, until we see the evnironment for what it is, it will continue to be our master in many ways. Peace is inside and the rest is relative.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 01-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. --Mahatma Gandhi

I struggle with this all the time. Those few drops sometimes flood my mind to the point of hopelessness. I get so disgusted sometimes. I work in a field where we hear so much about the bad and so little of the good. I know it's skewed, but it nonetheless gets me down a lot. Thanks, Lady V, for reminding me of the mostly good in people.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
Weathered
USER INFO »
"God heals the wound but the docter gets the pay for it"
- Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-03-2003, 09:12 PM   #10
Altair
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Weathered
<b>"God heals the wound but the docter gets the pay for it" &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- Benjamin Franklin </b>

:lol:

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 PM   #11
JenRN
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Weathered
<b>"God heals the wound but the docter gets the pay for it" &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;- Benjamin Franklin </b>

Isn't that for sure!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 01-05-2003, 12:02 AM   #12
Weathered
USER INFO »
lol its in one of almanacks he wrote...hmm what was it called...lol i wrote a report on him and that almanack....anyway he had a bunch of nifty things like that ...i thought it was interesting
Old 01-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Excellent topic for a report, Weathered. The man was a genius and a fricken riot!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:03 AM   #14
souldancer
USER INFO »
Thinking about the New Year and planning ahead, I remembered this great old book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
To live only for some future goal is shallow.
It's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow.

You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end
but a unique event in itself.

--Robert M. Pirsig

OK, maybe this is not a cool quote, but it's a classic I just love.
To see a World in a grain of sand,
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

--William Blake
Old 01-05-2003, 05:22 PM   #15
Weathered
USER INFO »
ohh yeah...the almanack he wrote was called Poor Richard:an almanack