++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 12-18-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
chafin24
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
New Album by PearlJam maybe?

Amazon Hooks Pearl Jam Song
Tue Dec 16, 6:48 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen

Veteran alt-rock band Pearl Jam, now free from its Sony Music contract, has aligned with Amazon.com to release the CD single "Man of the Hour" from the "Big Fish" soundtrack.

The move makes Pearl Jam the most mainstream act to take part in Amazon.com's Advantage for Music Program, which is generally used by unknown independent acts to sell music directly to fans.

"Pearl Jam is exploring a number of different ways to get music directly to its fans following the recent fulfillment of its contract with Epic Records, with whom the band has not yet decided to re-sign," Pearl Jam's manager Kelly Curtis said. "We have the opportunity right now to test the waters with a variety of progressive companies that are working (news - Y! TV) to expand options for music fans and artists alike."

Jeff Peterson, director of Amazon.com's Advantage program, said all the albums released through the program get equal marketing time on the Amazon.com Web site as do major label releases. The list price for "Man of the Hour," which Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder (news) wrote, is $5.

Pearl Jam has tentative plans to record a new studio album next year and is weighing distribution options.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Old 12-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Man, those guys have been busy! They just released Lost Dogs! Way cool. Thanks for the news.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:03 PM   #3
hide
USER INFO »
Hey thanks for spreading the Jam and I must say it is very cool that so many Creeders still love Grandma's Pearl Jam after all that has happened through the years between the two groups of fans, Marshall's comments, the constant comparsions etc:

They have been majorly busy with a DVD and "Lost Dogs" which for those that don't know is a b-sides and rarities cd. Seriously most bands would kill for half the songs PJ have put on this cd. All Night, Sad, Alone, Yellow Ledbetter, Brother (instrumental doh), Fatal, Otherside, Down, Dead Man, Dirty Frank, Don't Gimme No Lip (Stone Gossard on lead vocals) and newbie favourite Last Kiss are great songs amongst others.

They plan to start recording in April so I wouldn't expect an album before September though without Sony they will be able to get it out quicker.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
This is awesome news. I'm loving Lost Dogs, too! The only song I hate is Last Kiss. I hated the original, too, hehehe.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:09 PM   #5
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) This is awesome news. I'm loving Lost Dogs, too! The only song I hate is Last Kiss. I hated the original, too, hehehe.

Lost Dogs even though its a rarities cd is probably the best album of 2003 which shows how great Pearl Jam are. Some of the songs left off Riot Act and Binaural are gems and really should have made both albums. These two albums are not as good as Yield and earlier but they could have been.

I get annoyed when my brother and sister only like Last Kiss and nothing else but its so catchy and i've actually never heard the orignal. Leaving Here is another great song probably their best cover.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:14 PM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
lt's just such a cool collection. I'm soooo glad they did it.

LMAO @ your brother and sister....Man, PJ have such an amazing catalog of songs......Haven't you forced them to listen to it all, yet ....Weird, right now I'm listening to Mad Season and Mike M is going nuts on November Hotel...That is one BAD-ASS piece of work by him!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:19 PM   #7
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) lt's just such a cool collection. I'm soooo glad they did it.

LMAO @ your brother and sister....Man, PJ have such an amazing catalog of songs......Haven't you forced them to listen to it all, yet ....Weird, right now I'm listening to Mad Season and Mike M is going nuts on November Hotel...That is one BAD-ASS piece of work by him!

Yeah I force them to listen to PJ and they complain but they shall listen until they become as rabid as me! LOL I play all their albums, have 5 boots and watch their DVD from time to time. They like some songs my brother likes harder stuff such as Save You, Go, Even Flow etc but my sister is into pop mostly which is why she likes Last Kiss. My brother doesn't like Eddie's rants but I like it because at least he's trying to do some good and some of them are quite funny.

The best thing about Lost Dogs or actually worst I guess is that some of their best b-sides didn't even make the record such as State of Love and Trust, Breath, Leatherman, Out of My Mind, Soldier of Love and the like. I forget to mention Hard to Imagine and Footsteps such great songs.

Mikey is criminally underated such great solos in November Hotel from Mad Season, Reach Down from TOTD and of course various PJ songs including Even Flow.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #8
facelessman
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to facelessman Send a message via MSN to facelessman
meh
and ive seen more guts on 11 year old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home
I hope theres ice on all the roads
and think of me when you forget your seatbelt
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
Seventy Times Seven- Brand new
Old 12-18-2003, 11:22 PM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
OMG, Reach Down is my personal fave off TOTD....It sends chills down my spine...Yes, it is a shame those songs didn't make the other albums, but I'm sure glad they made it to Lost Dogs. Keep pluggin' away at your siblings. They'll come around .
Old 12-18-2003, 11:25 PM   #10
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) OMG, Reach Down is my personal fave off TOTD....It sends chills down my spine...Yes, it is a shame those songs didn't make the other albums, but I'm sure glad they made it to Lost Dogs. Keep pluggin' away at your siblings. They'll come around .

yeah they'll come around eventually if my singing along to these great songs doesn't drive them away! LOL

My fav song off that record and probably my fav record of all time actually is "Hunger Strike" great having these two voices in union. The whole album is great Say Hello 2 Heaven, Call Me a Dog, Times of Trouble etc:
Old 12-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I know. It was such an amazing blend of talent! Hunger Strike is right up there as well. There isn't a weak song on that CD. It's incredible.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #12
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I know. It was such an amazing blend of talent! Hunger Strike is right up there as well. There isn't a weak song on that CD. It's incredible.

and it took until PJ made it for people to notice this album. I wish TOTD reunions like the one at Santa Barbara this year came around more often and a second album would be killer but it won't happen. Great album one I listen to all the time and never tire of. Cornell's voice as the peak of its powers at this stage, isn't what it used to be but still one of the best in the business.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:38 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hell, yeah on Cornell. I mean, he's almost 40, so he's going to lose a bit, lol...plus all that smoking and drinking hasn't helped, but he still kicks ass. It's really amazing what lies beneath the radar screen sometimes.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:43 PM   #14
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Hell, yeah on Cornell. I mean, he's almost 40, so he's going to lose a bit, lol...plus all that smoking and drinking hasn't helped, but he still kicks ass. It's really amazing what lies beneath the radar screen sometimes.

so much great music that so many people don't know about so true! The smoking and drinking hasen't helped his voice but he can still pull off those slower songs. His acoustic performance of "Like a Stone" was fantastic but Hunger Strike was better in the earlier days. About PJ how funny is it when ED fluffs his lines? I've got the boot from State College (May 3rd) and in Satan's Bed which is rarely if ever played he totally stuffs it up and does the same thing with You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and he saids "oh no not now" or something like that.

We can forgive him because his not playing the standard 23 songs and only changing up one or two here or there.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:47 PM   #15
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hahah, that's funny. That's true, though, that's what makes their boots so desirable. Different set lists all the time. It's all that wine he drinks, lol .