++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-13-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
A new ESPN story......

I found the link to this at Passion Breeds Followers...posted at ESPN Sports, but apparently the interview was done with LAUNCH...the tone sounds very different than MTV.....

Creed break-up happened over time, says drummer
Although Creed officially announced their break-up on Friday (06.04), the gradual dissolution of the band had been underway for several months, according to drummer Scott Phillips. Phillips told LAUNCH that things weren't right when the band got together last fall to begin working on their fourth album. "This one just, even right off the bat, just kind of felt contrived and forced, and I think everybody's passions were sort of in different spots. Everybody had a different level of involvement, and it just felt like it wasn't gonna work out. It wouldn't have been true to us, it wouldn't have been true or fair to the fans for us to just try and piece something together, because we felt like we had to. And that probably was kind of the beginning of the end."

Phillips also acknowledged that lead singer Scott Stapp's personal, family, and business interests drove a wedge between Stapp and the rest of the band, and left less time for Creed. "You know, some of the stuff that he dealt with on a daily basis wasn't self-imposed, it was outside stuff, whether it was friends or family or whatever the case was. That, on top of all the business stuff that he was involved with, might have shifted his focus a little bit. Maybe he just felt like music wasn't as important to him as his son or whatever the case was."

Stapp was involved in real estate, a clothing line, and possibly acting roles, as well as working on a solo album.

Stapp will continue to work on his first solo effort, and will contribute a song to an album of music inspired by the movie, The Passion Of The Christ, that's due out on 08.31.

Meanwhile, Phillips, Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti, original Creed bassist Brian Marshall, and former Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy have teamed up as Alter Bridge. Their debut album, One Day Remains, arrives on 08.10, while a single, called "Open Your Eyes," will surface at radio stations later this month.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
interesting...isn't it?...i read this earlier today..and thought it was done in a more balanced manner...

Quote: Phillips also acknowledged that lead singer Scott Stapp's personal, family, and business interests drove a wedge between Stapp and the rest of the band, and left less time for Creed. "You know, some of the stuff that he dealt with on a daily basis wasn't self-imposed, it was outside stuff, whether it was friends or family or whatever the case was. That, on top of all the business stuff that he was involved with, might have shifted his focus a little bit. Maybe he just felt like music wasn't as important to him as his son or whatever the case was."

and one's children/family should always be more important...that is always a given...i'm glad flip also said some of it wasn't self imposed...that is just how it is when there are other things in one's life that need attending to...

i believe that the music and all that comes with it will remain important to stapp...but it also has it's place in the scheme of things...and to me, the man should not be faulted or put down because he has chosen to handle his business his way.

~Ann~
a.k.a.
M.O.M./Cdm2
Old 06-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
OneOmerta
USER INFO »
Quote: i believe that the music and all that comes with it will remain important to stapp...but it also has it's place in the scheme of things

Exactly...and I remember an interview Stapp did where he said just that....that having his son has put the band down a notch in his priorities...as it should

I thought that this interview was a perfect example of what should have been said...without finger pointing and placing blame in only ONE direction like the MTV one was. In my opinion...Flip rocks for his interpretation of things
Old 06-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Thanks a lot of posting that certainly gives another side to the story and makes Stapp appear a whole lot better. I think there is truth in both, there were things that Stapp did that caused friction between he and Mark and there was also things like family and business interests that meant Creed couldn't function further. Just speculation of course but I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 06-13-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I've always said that!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Well Amen to this interview. I appreciate Flip putting a "neutral" spin on it. Whether he was just sugar-coating it or not ... who know's? Regardless, I do respect him for the professional way in which he presented his interpretation. Too bad I don't feel the same about Mark.

As far as the statement ... "Maybe he just felt like music wasn't as important to him as his son or whatever the case was." There shouldn't be any "maybe" about it. That's the way it should be.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I don't get you. this is not new. Flip and Mark stated this in previous articles!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) I don't get you. this is not new. Flip and Mark stated this in previous articles!
I don't imagine you would!

Anyway...
Yes, they've stated this (i.e., MTV) but with a very different tone. Get it????
Old 06-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) I don't get you. this is not new. Flip and Mark stated this in previous articles!

I read the MTV interview....they insinuated that Stapp was more interested in outside projects....never mentioned that he had family demands as such. That's where the difference lies in between this interview and MTV.

Not saying they may not have said the same things....just may be that MTV hates Stapp and decides to leave that out. There are biased media outlets and there are unbiased. MTV is laughable at being anywhere near unbiased.

And before you tell me just how stupid I am....go back and re-read the interview. I did.

Why can't you just admit that alot of people were really pissed off about that interview, and thought it made them look pretty bad, and just let it be. You aren't gonna change our minds. What's been done has been done....now let Alter Bridge deal with the backlash.

I know quite a few people who have chosen not to buy the CD, based on the what was said in that interview....you can call them all petty and obessessed if you like....but it's just one way to get your point across. Withhold your cash. I'm also betting that none of them will be running to the phone to call their radio station and request Alter Bridge. Maybe they will be a bit more even handed in future interviews...or even better, leave their former bandmate and their criticisms of him, out of it. Its easy just to say to interviewers....whats done is done....we wish Stapp the best of luck in the future, but we just want to talk about OUR band and OUR music.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
Shadow
USER INFO »
AB's album is coming out first. Mark, Flip and Brian are going to be inundated with questions about Creed. I'm sure they are all expecting it. It's only natural that this will happen. But, in time, it will subside.

Scott will have the same circumstance when his album comes out. He obviously is not ready to talk about things yet. I'm a Scott fan through and through and I'm anxiously awaiting his reply to the disbandment.

Creed fans are going to be scrutinizing everything that is said - no matter which member of Creed says it.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji_2) I know quite a few people who have chosen not to buy the CD, based on the what was said in that interview....you can call them all petty and obessessed if you like....but it's just one way to get your point across. Withhold your cash.
This is very true. My husband - who likes Creed but is not "crazy" like me about them ... or Scott for that matter - called me at work when the official news came out. He even said that he was bothered by the tone and didn't think he would buy their cd now - and he is the type that ususally wouldn't care about the personal crap. If he likes the music, he buys the cd. But this even bothered him.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:59 AM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I still maintain that none of the interviews, even the MTV one, were that critical of Scott. What is wrong with the fact that maybe the guy just wasn't into the band anymore and had other priorities?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:30 AM   #13
ctfan
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji_2) Why can't you just admit that alot of people were really pissed off about that interview, and thought it made them look pretty bad, and just let it be. You aren't gonna change our minds. What's been done has been done....now let Alter Bridge deal with the backlash.

I know quite a few people who have chosen not to buy the CD, based on the what was said in that interview....you can call them all petty and obessessed if you like....but it's just one way to get your point across. Withhold your cash.

Yea, what's been said, has been said. I dunno, maybe if Mark and Scott P. had given the first interview to someone else, it would have turned out differently. They chose MTV..so to me, and imo, they are just gonna have to learn to deal with all this.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) What is wrong with the fact that maybe the guy just wasn't into the band anymore and had other priorities?
not to jump all over you or anything, but i would say that what's wrong w/ that is that the band was still together (if i remember correctly, this stuff goes back to '02) and touring and all, but even back then, he seemed to give precedence to more personal matters rather than the issue at hand (i.e. the tour and the band). the problem was he was looking too far ahead when he still had work to do in the present.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #15
creedlvr
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I still maintain that none of the interviews, even the MTV one, were that critical of Scott. What is wrong with the fact that maybe the guy just wasn't into the band anymore and had other priorities?
There's nothing wrong with him having other priorities ... especially if they involved his son. It just seemed so one-sided. To me, it came off as pointing the finger all in one direction.