++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Dark New Day

Who here likes DND?

When I got their cd, I didn't really care for it...

but last week I decided to give them another shot, and wow! I'm hearing it for the 3rd time in a row today!!!

It's pretty good!!! Very Human Clay-ish if that makes sense.

Me likes it!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
titan9
USER INFO »
I like'em a good bit. I bought the album earlier this year(I think June or so) after hearing "Brother" and another track. I really like the CD and it has some really terrific tracks on it(the aforementioned track and my favorite track on the CD, "Follow the sun down"). I don't listen to it all that often, but I think that can be attributed to the fact that I'm always buying CDs and always listening to different stuff. Heck, I haven't even listened to ODR since last week and that's one of my favorite CDs!

Anyway, Hestla sounds good on this album. He's a good vocalist who has a bit of range and can scream pretty good. I like the lyrics on this album for the most part. My only complaint is that I wish there were more solos(there's only like 2-3 on here, if I remember correctly).

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) I like'em a good bit. I bought the album earlier this year(I think June or so) after hearing "Brother" and another track. I really like the CD and it has some really terrific tracks on it(the aforementioned track and my favorite track on the CD, "Follow the sun down"). I don't listen to it all that often, but I think that can be attributed to the fact that I'm always buying CDs and always listening to different stuff. Heck, I haven't even listened to ODR since last week and that's one of my favorite CDs!

Anyway, Hestla sounds good on this album. He's a good vocalist who has a bit of range and can scream pretty good. I like the lyrics on this album for the most part. My only complaint is that I wish there were more solos(there's only like 2-3 on here, if I remember correctly).

Clint has repeatedly said that there will be more solos on the next one...that album was the one that got them signed, so I think that they were trying to just show their consistantly tight sound...

and, yeah, Brett is one of the best rock baritones on the radio right now...good range and a LOT of versatility...I LOVE his vocals with the Virgos and The Devine as well...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
titan9
USER INFO »
Sweet, I hadn't heard that as I've never read any DND interviews. I did watch a special on them on Comcast On Demand a while back. But he didn't mention more solos in that. Glad to hear he'll be doing more the next CD; he sounds like a good guitarist.

I just started getting into Virgos. They've definitely got some wicked stuff. I really like "Kiss My Disease". Brett does have a lot of versatility, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to eventually seeing them in concert, whenever they come around this area again.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Sweet, I hadn't heard that as I've never read any DND interviews. I did watch a special on them on Comcast On Demand a while back. But he didn't mention more solos in that. Glad to hear he'll be doing more the next CD; he sounds like a good guitarist.

I just started getting into Virgos. They've definitely got some wicked stuff. I really like "Kiss My Disease". Brett does have a lot of versatility, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to eventually seeing them in concert, whenever they come around this area again.

see them if you can...they are one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen...right up there with Dream Theater and King's X...and the vocal harmonies are fantastic...vocally, they can pull off EVERYTHING on the album...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) but last week I decided to give them another shot, and wow! I'm hearing it for the 3rd time in a row today!!!
Are you kidding me, all you ever listen to anymore is DND!! (I can tell by MSN Messenger)

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 12-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
RMadd
USER INFO »
yeahhhh, it's a pretty good album. I love Free, and Brother, of course, rocks. Bare Bones, That's Enough, Evergreen, Heal in Time, and Follow the Sun Down are among my other favorites (in my media player, i've rated all tracks 4 or 5 stars, so none of them suck)

Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
SummerGirl
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Anyway, Hestla sounds good on this album. He's a good vocalist who has a bit of range and can scream pretty good.

Hestla is AWESOME, but Will Hunt is badass!!! He is the one who is providing the screaming vocals and it SO works live.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
titan9
USER INFO »
Really? Didn't know that about Hunt. I think I had heard that someone else in the band did some of the vocals, but I just assumed that Hestla did the screams.

I watched a live video of DND a month ago on Yahoo Launch and they sounded REALLY good live. Hestla sung "FTSD" perfectly. I'll definitely have to catch them live eventually. They sound like they put on a good live show.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Really? Didn't know that about Hunt. I think I had heard that someone else in the band did some of the vocals, but I just assumed that Hestla did the screams.

I watched a live video of DND a month ago on Yahoo Launch and they sounded REALLY good live. Hestla sung "FTSD" perfectly. I'll definitely have to catch them live eventually. They sound like they put on a good live show.

yeah, actually, I normally don't like the screamo-type stuff, and, when I thought that it was Hestla doing that, I was disappointed in him for conforming to the popular screamo thing...but, eventually, the album just grew on me, and then I found out that ALL the members of the band sing (which is why the live harmonies RULE), and that it was Will doing the screaming thing (which, in the "Brother" vid, I think that you can see Will do it)...it's not a ground-breaking album, but it's the most consistantly good album I've heard in years (including, yeah, I'll say it, ODR)...

and, to bring it all back to Myles, LOL, the song "Free" is Myles' favorite song on the DnD album, and I (along with Summergirl) got to hear him sing the chorus to that song a month or so ago...
Old 12-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) yeah, actually, I normally don't like the screamo-type stuff, and, when I thought that it was Hestla doing that, I was disappointed in him for conforming to the popular screamo thing...but, eventually, the album just grew on me, and then I found out that ALL the members of the band sing (which is why the live harmonies RULE), and that it was Will doing the screaming thing (which, in the "Brother" vid, I think that you can see Will do it)...it's not a ground-breaking album, but it's the most consistantly good album I've heard in years (including, yeah, I'll say it, ODR)...

Yeah, I normally don't like the screamo stuff either. Most rock vocalists that scream just don't sound good. Hunt and Paul McCoy(12 Stones) are exceptions to the rule. They can scream and sound good while doing so.

Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) and, to bring it all back to Myles, LOL, the song "Free" is Myles' favorite song on the DnD album, and I (along with Summergirl) got to hear him sing the chorus to that song a month or so ago...

Lol, I had no idea he liked DND. Haha, that's awesome....and he performed it live? I would have loved to have been there for that. "Free" is definitely one of the best tracks on the CD.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Dark New Day do indeed deliver live. I've only seen them once, but they were great. I love that they all sing. The harmonies are sweet live.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
wow! I can agree to everything that was said here. Except for watching them live, which I didn't. Yet!

Hestla is a baritone??? I thought that was a tenor. Anyway, he's closer to the tenor line than most of the baritones out there today.

Follow The Sun Down is brilliant... Pieces, Brother, Heal in Time and Free!!! Those are my favs for now.

Also, I have some crappy files from Virgos but I gotta say Kiss My Disease is pretty damn good! I can't wait until I'm hired so I can spend some dollars on cds, considering I can't find it here. Actually, I'll buy Second Skin, Virgos and Logan as soon as I can. They're in my priority list.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #14
The Lithium
USER INFO »
I think the best song of that record is Taking Me Alive. Heavy, but yet funky!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
GregS
USER INFO »
Ive been listening to alot of DND recently. Love the album.. cant wait for the 2nd.. and i really wanna see them live !