View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #20
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Any baseball fans on here?

Go Cards!!!!!!

I'm psyched for the baseball season like never before. Maybe it's because we just won the World Series, maybe because the nfl, nhl, & nba have proved relatively dry for the teams i typically support.... maybe because i'm eager for my Redbirds to prove the doubters wrong. and Cubbies, too. i love how a team that won, what, 66 games last year is being picked by many to finally eclipse the Cards & 'stros this year, even leapfrogging the Brewers & Reds (and Pirates, for that matter lol). while Soriano might be a nice addition, he was wayyyyyyy too costly. especially when he gets hurt in mid-to-late may thru june. perhaps then, and only then, will Cubs fans realize that Ted Lilly and Jason "Fucking Worthless" Marquis are not the answers to their prayers.
as far as the Cardinals rotation is concerned, i'm not too worried yet. Carp, as everyone knows, is pretty amazing. letting marquis walk is one of those instances of "addition by subtraction." sure, the guy had at least 12 or 15 wins the past two years each, but he had some incredible run support, especially last year, when his era was simply atrocious. kip wells might be an underrated signee, b/c dave duncan has proven he can work miracles with mediocre veteran talent (speaking of which, i wonder how jeff weaver & suppan are going to do this year without his expert tutelege). alot depends, therefore, on how wainwright, reyes, and looper do at least until mulder returns around june. all were solid last postseason, and in spring training, so i'm not panicking just yet.
and while our outfield is getting kind of old (edmonds & encarnacion starting the season on DL, still recovering from offseason surgeries), Chris Duncan & Preston Wilson & So Taguchi should fill in well enough for now. the infield, of course, is no problem. Pujols & Rolen are among the best at their positions. Ecksten plays his ass off, and Kennedy's always been a solid player. Yadi (Molina) is lights out behind the plate, too. the kid's got a laser arm and, while he's no enos slaughter on the basepaths, he's pretty awesome nonetheless. plus, he hit that HR against the pond scum Mets in Game 7 last year (which, for me, may have been about the most exciting baseball game I have ever seen... ever). repeating as World Series champs, of course, is nearly impossible, but more than anything i'm just excited baseball's back for the next 6 months, and then some.