View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
GeeK_2004
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by bgivens33) Henry Clay... lol... the biggest loser in American Politics. Ran for president 3(maybe 4) times and lost them all. Ran against J.Q.Adams for the 6th presidency but then withdrew and gave Adams his full support. Adams then turned around and made him Secretary of State... which Jackson supporters claimed a corrupt bargain. This was significant because in the previous 5 elections, the secretary of state went on to become president. Alas, it didn't help Clay who went on to get slaughtered by Jackson in the next election. He went on to barely loose the presidency in '44(I think to Polk) because he wouldn't back the annexation of Texas... and that cost him the vote in the south. Kinda an interesting guy... wish he would have beaten Jackson... country might have turned out a bit better financially and socially.

The teacher pass around a list of people to do a report on the other day

I Knew/heard about/of two or three people, but I figured i'll go do a report on someone that I never heard of...

so I just picked someone, and that, was henry clay, Which I have NO clue (who) is...

So break yourself against my stones
And spit your pity in my soul
You never needed any help
You sold me out to save yourself
And I won't listen to your shame
You ran away - you're all the same
Angels lie to keep control...
My love was punished long ago
If you still care, don't ever let me know
If you still care, don't ever let me know...

"Snuff" - Slipknot