View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #38
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Torn Signs, I'll agree w/ you that the war and its portrayal to the American public has been very negative. just yesterday, at a local memorial day ceremony, my mom talked with the older brother of one of my sisters' friends. he has been over in Iraq for two tours of duty in the past 16 months, and said that it's very uplifting and moralizing (i don't if it's a word, but if "demoralizing" is, then this must be too) to know that the vast majority of Iraqis WANT the coalition forces there. My mom was, naturally, shocked to hear this, given the portrayal by the media over here. And I hate to be so negative-sounding about this, but death is a fact of war, and those who are upset at the loss of American life should give up being so damn selfish, for two reasons in particular. One: the soldiers are not drafted and joined the military on their own accord (just as, in the same way, whitebird, was able to not take a job making land mines). They should understand that one of the potential results of joining the armed services can be death. Two: we've enjoyed freedom as a people in every way for the past 200+ years thanks to the efforts of our military. Don't you think it's ridiculous to want to hide in a little hole while other people suffer at the hands of heinous dictators (Saddam Hussein).