View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 07:03 PM   #10
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
I have to agree with you on this. I'm 41 and what irks me most about the 20-somethings---and not all are like this--- but it seems they want all the top jobs without having to put in the sweat and time. They want to make the money I'm making (not that it's tons), but without putting in the 20 years I have put in. They almost think they are entitled to knock off all us older folks who are standing in their way. They also seem much more materialistic and self-centered. Shopping is a major pasttime with the ones I know, whereas for me shopping is something I do when I need something, not something to pass the time.

You hit the key words I usually fall back on when arguing this point -- people nowadays are just plain materialistic and self-centered. Perceived entitlement is the root cause, and it's getting ridiculous already. It's not just the 20-somethings (many of whom are now 30-somethings), either. They're just leading the charge. I think this attitude of entitlement has permeated our entire culture. It's made people fat and lazy in the cerebral sense, because people are apathetic to just about everything south of instant gratification. Almost everyone I know couldn't name 10 current U.S. Senators or 30 Presidents if I asked them to, and they probably couldn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance, but they could name every winner from every reality show over the last four years and sing that stupid song from American Idol forward and back and in 6 langauges. I guess it all comes down to priorities and the fact that theirs are frighteningly modern.