View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
bilal
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Sam Harris: An Atheist Maifesto

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) Somewhere in the world a man has abducted a little girl. Soon he will rape, torture and kill her. If an atrocity of this kind is not occurring at precisely this moment, it will happen in a few hours, or days at most. Such is the confidence we can draw from the statistical laws that govern the lives of 6 billion human beings. The same statistics also suggest that this girl's parents believeat this very momentthat an all-powerful and all-loving God is watching over them and their family. Are they right to believe this? Is it good that they believe this?

No.

The entirety of atheism is contained in this response. Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious. Unfortunately, we live in a world in which the obvious is overlooked as a matter of principle. The obvious must be observed and re-observed and argued for. This is a thankless job. It carries with it an aura of petulance and insensitivity. It is, moreover, a job that the atheist does not want.

about the incidend that is picturised in the begining.....and its conclusion only tells me one thing.....that those who dont believe in God are those who demand heaven on earth!....and if that was the case, why would have Adam have had been exiled in the first place...... Earth and its life is never supposed to be eternal....its just a stay... where Good and EVil are in its play....... i leave home for work daily but it will be naive of me to assume that if i leave my place with taking the name of God, i will be all safe and wont come any harm........ Holy EESSA (Jesus Christ) was crusified, Hoy IBRAHIM was was thrown in fire, Prophet Mohammad spent 13 years in Makkah under great suffering, and all these tells us just one thing, that this world is just a temporary stay and God do not play like the commic Super-hero........ he created a world, wrote a mannual for it (the Holy books) and gave us a short span of life here, evil do happen cause people do follow evil...... casue its there.....you cannot see evil but its there, inside you , inside me, and so there is faith to counter it, morality to prevent it........... denial of God would have came in any case........even if there was no crime, even if in place of Holy Books, God Almighty might have came himself to earth and told the people of that time that what this place is and what we are supposed to do, the people still would have denied it anyways, you and I might have too....saying that its only some illusion the people saw back then......

then in the second paragraph....the start is relating faith and religion to Philosophy.......... i used to think wether philosophy is the right thing to justify God, or say religion, yes, philosophy can be used to verify the existance of God, but its certianly not above religion itself ,, and philosophy remains and aid, rather than jsutification of relgion or faith......

what is obvious?....... its just my personal opinion, i might be wrong here....but i thinkg that the soul foundation of atheisim is based on the fact that THEY DO QUESTION EVERY THING AROUND THEM......... i think that ATHEISM BELIEVES IN GOING DEEP INTO ONES CONCIOUS AND QUESTIONING THOSE FUNDAMETALS THAT USUALLY A RELIGIOUS PERSON WILL NEVER DARE TO ARGUE OR WILL LEAVE UNQUESTIONED UNINTENTIONALLY......... this is indeed a very brave and somewhat essetntial practice ,,,, to me... this will either leave you more strong in your belife or will change ones belive alltogether......... to me , this is something that differentiates sterotype religious followers with those who have faith beyound any shadow of doubt (or lunar shadow..hehe)..... so if this is done in keeping the denial part in view... the results of this ESSENTIAL practice or exercise will lead you towards only denial..... so i will just say that this QUESTIONING need to be done not jsut to prove wrong but to explore the indefinite and unseen.......

i am starting to read this post ... and will try to make it till the end

Last edited by bilal : 08-23-2006 at 08:26 PM.