View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 PM   #22
Disillusioned
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I've been waiting to post in this thread because I've been trying to think of a way to share how I can relate to AB's music without it being a comparison to Creed. However, with 3/4 of AB being ex-members of Creed, I don't know of a way around the comparison...at least not at this point. I disagree with those who have said the difference between Creed and AB, is that Creed was about spirituality and AB is about life. I think that BOTH Creed and AB's songs are about spirituality AND life. The difference as I see it is this...

Lyrically, Scott primarily writes from a place of expressing his Faith on a very foundational level. The existence of God, and as believed within his Faith, the pivotal point of the Cross - Jesus. What I hear in the bulk of Scott's lyrics is a pattern. This pattern consist of personal crisis (LIFE), which leads to an evaluation of what one believes, which then leads to an affirmation of one's SPIRITUALITY.

With Mark/Myles I believe that lyrically it is an expression of spiritual maturity. The subtle merging of what one believes (SPIRITUALLY) and how it shapes and defines the choices a person makes. LIFE through the eyes of a person of Faith.

Personally, I do not equate an expression of foundational beliefs as having "depth" and an expression of spiritual maturity as being "generic". Day to day, I can relate more to AB, but there are times in life when I really do feel the need to listen to something that re-evaluates and affirms my beliefs on a more foundational level...during those times, I just may listen to an old Creed CD, even if those times are far and few between. In other words, I can relate to AB AND Creed, but in different ways.

Last edited by Disillusioned : 10-04-2004 at 09:57 PM.