View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
“Deserted Cities of the Heart” has been a real treat for both of the nights. I was really happy to see it in the setlist. Jack, Ginger, and Eric didn’t disappoint at all as they provide amazing rhythm, guitar work, and vocals to a first-rate song.

“Born Under a Bad Sign” is another song I absolutely love to hear. Jack sings, or rather growls, these songs so powerfully that it makes you wonder if he really did have a liver transplant. What a strong performer he is whether bass or vocals. Eric provides some of the best blues work here, and it just makes me wonder if I could come close to picking my favorite performance of the night.

The building tension throughout “We’re Going Wrong” makes this song incredible. It’s just a really slowed down song that provides a great contrast to what is next. And then “Crossroads” starts. As if I’m not giddy like a child enough there are certain songs that just push my hyperactive thoughts and feelings into overdrive and this is one of them. Sure it’s not done at the break-necked pace we all hear on Wheels of Fire, but it’s done differently than the slower versions we have heard as well. It’s perfect for Cream 2005, but I sure wouldn’t have been upset to hear that fast version. ;-) Regardless, it’s still a rugged version, but done with the maturity of a wiser band. But a band that is just as kick-ass as before.

“Sitting On Top of the World” is potent, and the harmonica added by Jack really enhances the great blues power of this song. I just wish the bass wasn’t take away so much by Jack providing the harmonica, but I still loved it. It was different and quite good.

“White Room” was once again solid gold, and I love how Eric and Jack share the vocal duties on this song. It’s awesome to hear. Then, they go into “Toad.” Ginger was perfect. I’m in awe of his drumming. The rhythm, the agility, the power, and those African beats are just amazing. It’s one thing to hear him on an album and imagine Ginger of thirty years ago, but it’s a whole different kind of animal to see Ginger live and being better than anyone at 65.

“Sunshine of Your Love” was a top-notch performance. I preferred Thursday night, but then again I was almost against the stage! The jam at the end was so much fun to hear and watch, and then that was the last time Cream will take the stage. Or was it? I sure hope they decide to collaborate in the very near future, but on their own terms. This time there is no need to be burned out from touring. These guys get to control what happens. We shall see.

Afterwards, I went to see Saiichi Sugiyama and Pete Brown at the Hard Rock Café, and that was a neat way to finish off the night and early morning.

I almost forgot to mention that before the concert started I was heading out of the bar with this guy, and I saw Kirk Hammett of Metallica! Kirk used to be one of my top five guitarists, and he is still a guitarist I really enjoy. He walked right past me, and his arm brushed mine. A little brush with fame I suppose. I should have asked for a picture, but I didn’t remember until later that I had a camera with me. Plus, he was there to enjoy the show. During the show a guy next to me spots Ringo Starr in the crowd. When I look up I see him and then Paul McCartney along with Tom Hanks! All three were together enjoying the concert especially Paul. Just about every time I looked up at them Paul would be yelling, on his feet, and just really having a great time. And my friend in a section down from me tells me after the concert that Jimmy Page was setting right behind her! He seemed to really be enjoying the concert as well. All in all a grand finish to the four reunion shows.
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/