View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
VJ Raven
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: I really hate how dead this forum is.

I don't come over here that often because I'm busy helping out in the two forums I am a staff member in. Some days, both sites are quiet, some days those sites are full of trolls and asshats and full of posts that I either have to report or moderate.

In fact, there is a thread that has gone south in the past and is going south again in the larger forum I'm a junior staff member on... I'm not a moderator there but part of my job there is helping the moderators by reporting nasty comments, posting a reminder of the rules, etc... I'm busy keeping an eye on it as I type this and making sure the non staff members are behaving themselves... If one of them starts going nuts again, I'll have to contact the admins/mods again. Joy. *HEAD DESK*

After seeing what my friend 1111 did to get her site set up, I know it is a LOT of work. First of all, she had to figure out what she wanted in the site itself... Like which forums and subforums she wanted, then she had to find a name for it, see if the domain she wanted was free, and then purchase the software... And that's all before it was up and running!!! I'm only a Super Moderator on 1111's site (USS) and there are days when I want to rip my hair out because the software goes nuts, there is a power outage at the server, or things just go completely wonky over there.

And that's only the minor things that can happen... You have to program the site to ban the spammers, watch for the trolls/asshats constantly and keep up with general site maintenance on a daily basis... Plus keep an eye out for anything that could make the site crash without warning. And that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg...

Some days, one doesn't even see the administrators/moderators at the site I'm a junior staff member in but they are there, watching things in Stealth mode, which means they are invisible to everyone except for the other admins/moderators. Just because we don't see Steve and the other mods doesn't mean they are not around, making sure everything is okay.... I go in stealth mode in 1111's forum myself, just in case I'm the only mod around and there is a known troll around... Sometimes popping out of nowhere is the best way to keep a troll in line, it kinda makes them paranoid that a moderator is watching them even though they may not be visible to the troll...

If Steve wants some help designing and setting up the new forum look when he gets around to it, I am willing to pitch in and use my experience to help out if he wants me to.

As for TA, that's really up to Steve and our other mods if they wish to ban her permanently. I know she's left me alone for the most part since her three day ban a while ago but I don't know if she's harassing others or not... I'm still relatively new to the board here and don't know a lot of you very well yet.

As for other Creed related sites, I can add that sometimes PBF is active, other times, it's pretty quiet... It all depends on who is in there and posting I guess. Frankie does her best to keep things hopping over there and so do a lot of the other members.

Just my $0.02.

We creative types have to create in order to feel ALIVE... That's why I write. Without my writing, I would not be living, only existing.
~Me~

Music is vital to life, as vital as breathing.
~Me~