View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #25
Robin101
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: my top ten bands..

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) The Arctic Monkeys aren't even number 1 in the States. Nevertheless, they're a lot more innovative than some second rate nu metal band... or some whiny emo group. Actually, Britain hasn't really produce any successful bands in America since the mid 1990s with the arrival of Oasis, Blur, and the Verve. It wasn't until Coldplay that people actually started caring about what type of music was being created in Great Britain and Ireland. However, Brit pop and rock has always, and will always, be one of my favorite music genres. I mean, I will gladly take Oasis, Razorlight, Kasabian, The Libertines (or Babyshambles), Arctic Monkeys, The Futureheads, Bloc Party, Travis, Richard Ashcroft, Coldplay, and a lot of other British/Irish bands and musicians over the rehashed crap that keeps making the airwaves over here.

Even though I'm not an avid fan of a majority of the bands you mentioned, I do respect their achievements. They have obviously represented us extremely well.

I realize that AM aren't number 1 - I was refering to James Blunt (shudder).
Arctic Monkeys, in many peoples eyes, are the best thing to happen to music in years - their lyrical skills have even been described as 'Dickensian'. They're just not my cup of tea.

Oasis - sorry just not a big fan of Liam. He's a great 'rock character' but again, just not my cup of tea. He made this statement recently "Oasis may not be the biggest band in the world, but we're the best band in the world and the best band deserve the best singer in the world". Mmmm...not too sure about that. He also said, if I remember correctly, U2 'don't even know who they are anymore' and the Rolling Stones 'make crap music'. Noel Gallagher - very talented.

I'm not a fan of Chris Martin's voice. However, I do respect their music and I quite like Clocks.

As for The Libertines (or Babyshambles), enjoy while you can. Pete Doherty is a real ticking time bomb - makes Stapp look like Cliff Richard!

Oh well....You're an American who enjoys Brit Pop/Rock, I'm a Brit who enjoys American Rock. Music makes the world go round and it would be quite a boring world if we all liked the same music.

Take Care

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger