Thread: Post for Peace
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 05:35 AM   #218
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: [CHAD KROEGER SPEAKS]
He's not happy about Nickelback's record label, Roadrunner, though. The New York-based company refused to allow Why Don't You and I, Kroeger's collaboration with Carlos Santana, to be released as a radio single.

"I couldn't shoot a commercial for famine relief if (Roadrunner) said no 'cause they own my visual rights and they own my recording rights. They own my image. So, if they don't like it, they get to say no, which infuriates me," says Kroeger.

"The record company was like, 'You just renegotiated (a contract), we just paid you a disgusting amount of money, we don't want anything else in the way. We want you focused on Nickelback.' I was like, 'I can see that, but that song is going to be a single no matter what. ... They'll find someone else to sing it, in which case you'll have no control over it.' ... And they were like, 'This is going to ruin your rock credibility!' Rock credibility? Every song that has done anything for us, they cross over to pop anyway. How You Remind Me went to pop. Too Bad went to pop. Hero went to pop."

Instead, Kroeger was forced to find another singer, Alex Band of The Calling, to re-record his vocals, which was sort of like watching another man make love to his girlfriend. Literally, in fact, as Why Don't You and I, as it turns out, was written for Kroeger's fiance, a hairdresser from Camrose who used to cut his grandmother's hair.

But Hanna's most successful son is getting the last laugh -- most stations in the U.S. and Canada are playing his version. Understandably, his fiance hates the other rendition. "Someone else is singing the love song to her," Kroeger says. The whole thing was very, very ugly."

That's not way too funny! Anyway....Peace!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor