View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 07:24 PM   #22
Aimee
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Here's the difference...
If you are trying to talk your friend into eating some raw oysters, you would go on and on about all the good things like they're yummy or they feel great sliding down your throat or they're an aphrodisiac. Your friend may never eat raw oysters, but you love them, so you are going to keep trying to get them to try at least one. That's like trying to sell a certain belief. BUT your friend might come back and say, yeah, they smell good on that plate, but they look nasty. Or he'd say he would like to try one but he's heard that they could cause food poisoning. Now that's questioning your firmly held belief, right? So let's say your friend DOES try one and loves them but has an allergic reaction. He writes a love poem to Oysters that goes something like this...

Oh raw oysters, you're so fine.
I love you more than red red wine.
But when I eat you, every time,
I blow up like a whale in brine.
So watch out all you oyster lovers
cuz oysters made me turn to blubber.
Now I've had what I can't live without,
but eating them could give me gout.

Or something like that.
NOW that's an idea that makes ME go hmmm...
Maybe I should try oysters because this guy did and he really liked them. But in his experience, he became allergic. Wonder if that will happen to me? He talking about oysters in his poem, but he's not shoving them down my throat (like you were literally doing), but he's made me curious about the experience. It's questioning the yumminess of oysters, not saying that everyone should eat them.
Maybe this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Oh well, I tried.