View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #39
Robin101
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: my top ten bands..

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) I think that Coldplay's music is progessival getting worse... however, that doesn't diminish the fact that Chris Martin is a good musician. "Parachutes," in my opinion, is a borderline masterpiece. I think that it's one of the best debut albums in the history of British rock. Right up there with the Beatles, with the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Oasis, and a litany of other amazing artists.

But like I said before... the current wave of British bands are just way better than a great deal of newer American bands, simply put. Don't get me wrong, American rock isn't dead... we still have The Strokes, Eagles of Death Metal, The Redwalls... but as a whole, the music scene out here is plagued with unoriginal emo/pop punk bands, horrible screamo/hardcore bands, and bands from the Deep South who blatantly rip off Nirvana.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... newer British/Irish bands like Arctic Monkeys, The Libertines/Babyshambles, Kasabian, Razorlight, The Futureheads, Maximo Park, The Darkness, Muse, Nine Black Alps, The Subways, Bloc Party, Snow Patrol, The Zutons, Editors, The Dead 60s, and Hard-Fi are pulling rock out of the gutter. Some of them are carrying the torch that's been passed down from Oasis, The Verve, Blur, Radiohead, and even Coldplay to an extent.

Wow....I'm impressed with your knowledge of British music - I don't know a majority of the bands you mentioned in the final paragraph. I'll have to check 'em out.

Actually, I have noticed a 'changing of the guard' on British radio - British bands are now far more in demand. Of the American bands, Green Day and Maroon 5 get a fair amount of airplay.

I can understand how Creed became so disliked in the States despite their obvious popularity. A simple dislike for a band can grow into hatred when their music, due to popular demand, is constantly being shoved down your throat. Everytime I turn on the radio it's Coldplay (or James Blunt). However, as I 've stated before, I do appreciate their talent. I can say the same about Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, The Verve, Blur etc.

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger