View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
well, the author certainly put alot of thought into that article. very interesting, indeed. to be quite honest, i've never been fond of the whole grunge "culture." i like only 1, maybe 2 songs by Nirvana (please, don't shoot me!). as the author points out, anything that glamourizes suicide is just plain evil. but, by the same token, '80s hair metal started to get quite a bit out of control with weeklong drinking binges and numerous overdoses, not to mention how over-the-top the music itself got. people sort of sobered up and realized that maybe the excess advocated by so many metal groups wasn't the best way. unfortunately, music went in the exact opposite direction, to being the epitome of "unfun." it seems that, today, we've recovered from both these extremes and that, with a very few number of exceptions, moderation rules. the music today isn't overly flamboyant, but it's not amazingly depressing either. people still sing about pain and partying, but it's not quite so excessively mainstream as it was 10 and 20 years ago.