View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #59
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Who Would You Like to See Run in 2008?

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) You're trying to make Bush out to be aligned with fascism because the man is a Christian.
if the shoe fits... lol (j/k)
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Like I said before... he hasn't done anything to halt the flow of illegal immigrants into the United States...
before 9/11, he was hoping to create a more liberal (not in the political sense, but just in the sense that it would allow more) immigration policy, working with Vincente Fox (Mexico's president) to develop one agreeable to both states. that's been pretty much pushed to the bottom of the pile now.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) nor has he been conservative with the economy.
I'm well aware of that: that's why I'm saying he's more neo-conservative than simply conservative. He's really not a traditional conservative at all, but is definitely a neo-con.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Being against abortion and gay marriage doesn't make someone a neo-con. John Kerry is against gay marriage... as are many other prominent democrats.
So John Kerry and "other prominent democrats" can't have neo-conservative beliefs or tendencies? You seem to be saying they, by some rule or something, have to be 100%, straight up liberal? Kerry himself isn't a neo-conservative, but he, as you have pointed out, does have at least one neo-conservative belief (the more opposing liberal view, of course, supports gay marriage & civil union).

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) Bush didn't invade Iraq because of religion... or for oil. He, like many other countries around the world viewed Saddam Hussein as a legitimate threat to peace in the Middle East. Sure, there was flawed intelligence... but the decision to oust Hussein isn't the product of neo-conservativism. If anything, Bush's foreign policy regarding the Middle East is liberal. The ideas of individual liberties, personal dignity, free expression, religious tolerance, private property, universal human rights, transparency of government, limitations on government power, popular sovereignty, national self-determination, privacy, enlightened and rational policy, the rule of law, fundamental equality, a free market economy, and free trade are all fundamentals of liberal though. Iraqis are now allowed to abide by all of these components.
Has someone been watching Fox a bit much lately? It's always about the oil. You have to think, why Iraq, of all countries? There's countries in our own "backyard" that have some pretty crazy leaders, but why don't we do anything about them?

You may want to read this to get a better understanding as to what constitutes neo-conservatism. It points to hawkish views in foreign policy (i.e. deciding to go to war when there do exist other alternatives), a Christian undercurrent, etc.

Last edited by RMadd : 12-27-2005 at 05:43 PM.