CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Noooooooooooooo!!! (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6371)

DangerousDan85 04-20-2004 11:15 AM

Noooooooooooooo!!!

I went in for my first job interview today at Hollywood Video. I wore a nice shirt and tied my hair back in a pony. Well one of the first things they said was that if I was hired, I'd need to cut my hair to a more "professional" length (not touching my shoulders i guess, not sure though). It's taken me 16 months to get it this long, so it'll be hard to part ways with it. I guess the pony didn't work. I'll find out by the end of the day if they hire me.

- Dan

aussiecreeder 04-20-2004 11:26 AM

for some reason this is funny, but yeah this sucks for you man! are you going to take a stand or are you going to relent to earning a crust? its only hair.........what you should do is cut it, work there for a while, then grow it! after they ask you to cut, you refuse and they dismiss you! then you sue them for unfair dismissal! muhawaha

JulieCitySlicker 04-20-2004 12:36 PM

Thats dumb :wtf:
I mean its just a video place :mad:

GeeK_2004 04-20-2004 01:36 PM

maybe....they have something against people with long hair.....

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

DangerousDan85 04-20-2004 01:39 PM

they're worried, i'll scare the customers away

JulieCitySlicker 04-20-2004 01:41 PM

Ya!
Like none of their customers are wierd looking ;)
You atleast had your hair back in a ponytail, you shouldn't have to cut your hair for them!

GoodGodGirl23 04-20-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousDan85

That's retarded, the video places around here in Vancouver Washington, have guys working in them with long hair pulled back in pony tails.. you should not have to cut your hair Dan, that is not right.....Blockbuster for that matter is the video place....

GoodGodGirl23 04-20-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieLovesCreed
Ya!
You atleast had your hair back in a ponytail, you shouldn't have to cut your hair for them!

I agree, and if I were Dan, I wouldn't. I'd look for another job.... :eek:

GoodGodGirl23 04-20-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

That's bull crap!! :eek:

GoodGodGirl23 04-20-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeK_2004
maybe....they have something against people with long hair.....

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I'm more inclined to believe this one Geek.....

RMadd 04-20-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
for some reason this is funny, but yeah this sucks for you man! are you going to take a stand or are you going to relent to earning a crust? its only hair.........what you should do is cut it, work there for a while, then grow it! after they ask you to cut, you refuse and they dismiss you! then you sue them for unfair dismissal! muhawaha

or not... wouldn't be unfair if it's in their policy to keep hair at a certain length and there's no rules preventing businesses from setting hair-length guidelines. geez

GoodGodGirl23 04-20-2004 05:26 PM

I guess....

hayley 04-20-2004 05:34 PM

STUFF THE JOB!!! KEEP YOUR HAIR....please don't cut it off NOOOOOOOOOOOO that's just sad :(

Well I guess I should say good luck for the job GOOD LUCK

Higher_Desire 04-20-2004 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieLovesCreed

LOL. Ain't that the truth! I've worked with a lot of people to know there's a hell of a lot of funny looking people out there.

If you don't get the job because of your hair, it could become a legal situation. There are a few certain areas where employers can discriminate certain types of people from getting jobs, but hair is not one of them. If they reject you because of your hair, it is actually illegal. There is no such thing as "professional length." Professional is how you act towards others in given situations.

H-D :eyes:

JulieCitySlicker 04-20-2004 06:06 PM

I agree Colin :D

Creed_Defaultgirl 04-20-2004 07:36 PM

You could probably find a better paying job, and keep you hair too! I wouldn't cut mine for a movie place!

GGG, I've been through Vancouver Washington before. We just drove through though, and it was night....

GoodGodGirl23 04-20-2004 09:10 PM

Washington is a lovely State, Trees, Mountains, the Ocean.... I wouldn't live anywhere else, I love it here! :D

Trees of Wisdom 04-20-2004 09:48 PM

That is ridiculous. It's not like you're applying for an office job or something.

Bridge of Clay 04-20-2004 10:17 PM

ehhehehehehehehe

No Mulletman in Hollywood!!!

Creed_Defaultgirl 04-20-2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGodGirl23
Washington is a lovely State, Trees, Mountains, the Ocean.... I wouldn't live anywhere else, I love it here! :D

I went with my grandparents on a 2 month trip up in the western states. I was 10, and I was weird back then, but I had a lot of fun. I'd love to go up to the Oregon/Washington area again!

DangerousDan85 04-20-2004 11:30 PM

well i didn't hear back from Hollywood yet. My mom scheduled a hair appointment for me this Thursday without asking me. It's a damn conspiracy i tell u. Some days when it's really hot, or really windy I feel like getting a buzz cut, maybe i should just completly shave all of it off, and be like "is this short enough for you"

Steve 04-20-2004 11:34 PM

Actually a business can decide to not hire you because of your hair... some business require a "professional appearance" - for instance, companies may not hire you if you have a beard. Generally employees who will deal with customers can be told to keep their appearance a certain way. A friend of mine who has a full beard was told if he was going to be hired as an outside sales rep, he'd have to trim his beard. The company only allowed employees to have mustaches and/or goatees.

Trees of Wisdom 04-20-2004 11:40 PM

Quote:

well i didn't hear back from Hollywood yet. My mom scheduled a hair appointment for me this Thursday without asking me. It's a damn conspiracy i tell u. Some days when it's really hot, or really windy I feel like getting a buzz cut, maybe i should just completly shave all of it off, and be like "is this short enough for you"

It'd sure be a kick in the gonads if they tell you that your hair is too short if you shave all of it off.

Trees of Wisdom 04-20-2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
Actually a business can decide to not hire you because of your hair... some business require a "professional appearance" - for instance, companies may not hire you if you have a beard. Generally employees who will deal with customers can be told to keep their appearance a certain way. A friend of mine who has a full beard was told if he was going to be hired as an outside sales rep, he'd have to trim his beard. The company only allowed employees to have mustaches and/or goatees.

That's a good thing. Appearance is everything, regardless of your beliefs. You need to look professional and not look like some homeless guy by having a beard.

facelessman 04-21-2004 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trees of Wisdom
That's a good thing. Appearance is everything, regardless of your beliefs. You need to look professional and not look like some homeless guy by having a beard.

'tis true

RMadd 04-21-2004 01:43 AM

Quote:

if you don't want the job, but still feel like being a major dick, shave it off, take it to them in a bag or something... that'd be slightly humorous

marlsy 04-21-2004 09:45 AM

I think it's stupid if they make your cut your hair. Here at our blockbluster video we have a girl with a total punk cut died jet black and she has an earring in her nose!!! Long hair here is nuttin!! I say move to Southern California where wierd is the norm!! :D

GoodGodGirl23 04-21-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlsy
I think it's stupid if they make your cut your hair. Here at our blockbluster video we have a girl with a total punk cut died jet black and she has an earring in her nose!!! Long hair here is nuttin!! I say move to Southern California where wierd is the norm!! :D

Same out here Marlsy.... :D

Sheila63 04-21-2004 06:52 PM

Quote:

First of all, it's great to see you back here, Dan. :D

Secondly, I can't believe they think it'll scare customers away! Suzie's right, that's bs. I personally love long hair on guys, well most of them anyway. :) If you decide to cut your hair, I hope you get the job.:thumbsup:

hayley 04-21-2004 09:54 PM

Yeah I love long hair on guys too, and I aggree it's so stupid how they will make you cut your hair, I mean appearance does mean alot when you are working somewhere, but it's not like it's down to your waste or anything

luvscott4ever 04-21-2004 10:18 PM

I agree...Keep the hair!! Long hair ROCKS!!

But what Steve said is the truth. I have a friend that worked for Fed Ex for years and he too had to keep himself clean shaven, I don't think he could have a beard either, but I think mustaches were ok. My daughter works for Mills Fleet Farm in Customer Service and one of the times she had her hair colored, (but it wasn't outragerous) one of her managers said something to her about it. They also have rules there about piercings and what not too. I guess when you work with the public, some companys have different policies on how you should look. Frankly, I think it sucks!! Let people be what they want to be!!! :peace:

hayley 04-22-2004 02:40 AM

Man that's so gay, it's not like it would effect their work or anything, unless someone had dandruff and was getting it all over the counter, I don't see why they should be forced to do stuff like that

Trees of Wisdom 04-22-2004 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlsy

Haha, true that! There are too many weirdos here in Southern California.

DangerousDan85 04-22-2004 01:26 PM

well luckily I avoided the haircut appointment today, so i still got my locks. I wont getting it cut for a trim or something, I just dont want to wear it short anytime soon.

JulieCitySlicker 04-22-2004 01:30 PM

I wouldn't cut it either, I know how long it takes for hair to grow :eek:
My hair takes FOREVER!!! I usually get sick of waiting for it and I just get it cut :rolleyes:

GeeK_2004 04-22-2004 02:03 PM

I love guys with long hair....!!!

Steve 04-22-2004 02:37 PM

The issue is that someone who isn't cleanly shaved, has colored or weird shaped hair, etc. isn't "professional looking." It's almost like dress-code policies corporations have. Some corporations require business-casual attire. Is it wrong of them to "force" employees to wear a dress shirt/tie? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with companies who have the hair policy, I'm just saying that I understand why they are in place. Companies want to give a professional and positive appearance of themselves to the public, and to be quite honest with you, the way some people look nowadays isn't very professional.

(BTW, long hair doesn't seem to be a major issue in my mind... it's more of the mo-hawk or other weird styled hair and the million face piercings)

Dogstar 04-22-2004 05:28 PM

I can deal with a dress code, but I think it's wrong to force someone to cut his hair just to look more professional. It's the same thing as some places banning facial hair, piercings and tats. It just adds to prejudice in my mind. I'd look for another job with a policy that's more accepting of people's different appearances.

GoodGodGirl23 04-22-2004 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeK_2004
I love guys with long hair....!!!

I'm with you on that one Geek!! :D :D

GeeK_2004 04-22-2004 06:28 PM

:) :) :) ;) ;) :d