Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Update on lawsuit [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Update on lawsuit

crest tattoo
07-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Have you guys seen this? It's listed on Creedpit as of yesterday. It's a link to the Orlando newspaper:

Band's creed: Don't sue us
Published July 13, 2003

Fans who flocked to a concert by the mega-successful, Orlando-based rock band Creed in Chicago a few months ago had high expectations.

What they didn't expect to see was lead singer Scott Stapp "so intoxicated and-or medicated that he was unable to sing the lyrics to a single Creed song."

But that's exactly the allegation in a suit that seeks a $55.50 refund for ticket prices (and parking) -- for all 15,000 fans. Throw in all the other fees you can think of for a class-action suit, and the band, Ticketmaster and promoter are being sued for more than $2 million.

Creed has essentially admitted that the show wasn't one of its best. In a letter to fans, the band wrote:

"We apologize if you don't feel that the show was up to the very high standards set by our previous shows in Chicago. We also understand and appreciate the fact that there has been much concern about Scott's health, and we want to assure everyone that he is doing very well and is taking a much-needed break at home in Orlando after a very long and rigorous touring year."

But the band says Stapp wasn't drunk. He was tired. And the band doesn't think it owes anyone a dime. In fact, attorneys for the defendants filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit last week.

Creed's attorney, Rob McNeely, described the claim as bunk. "Buying a ticket to a concert does not mean buying an entitlement or a guarantee to any caliber or quality of performance," he said. "And it has to be that way because of the nature of the arts." He compared the lawsuit to an Orlando Magic fan suing the team if Tracy McGrady had an off night and scored only 4 points.

If judges were to rule that Creed's lackluster performance merited refunds, McNeely argues, it would be a "short trip" to the day when judges preapprove song selections for concerts. The same logic suggests judges shouldn't prohibit Stapp from rolling "around on the floor of the stage in apparent pain or distress" or passing out during the performance, as the lawsuit claims.

McNeely says Stapp was exhausted at the end of the long tour and is "enjoying rest" at home in Central Florida with his son, preparing for the group's next album. (The band's previous albums sold 30 million copies.)

Speaking of album sales, band attorneys argued that if fans are angry, they have "every right not to purchase further albums, CDs and concert tickets" -- but not to get their money back.

Rune
07-14-2003, 09:31 AM
wow that makes creed sound.....greedy.......

marlsy
07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the update, very interesting.............................

crest tattoo
07-14-2003, 10:40 AM
I know, and I hate to hear a lie. I know how lawyers work and what has to be said to clear one's name will be, but, I'm sorry, he was not tired. At the same time, I don't think the plantiffs have a chance. They exaggerated the story too much.

Steve
07-14-2003, 11:08 AM
If you had a pending lawsuit on your hands for millions of dollars, I'm sure your lawyer would make you sound greedy as well ;)

goddess_bb
07-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Good point Steve, the lawyers are talking and if the plantiffs won image what kind of shit it would open artists too...??? You could sue if you were just unhappy they didn't sing your favorite song..

Dogstar
07-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Exactly, goddess. The lawyer who said that when you buy a concert ticket you aren't buying a guarantee or an entitlement because of the nature of the arts is dead-on. That says it in a nutshell. Let's hope the judges and/or jury agree, if it gets that far.

crest tattoo
07-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Steve, you are so right. And I'm sure with the money they have, they will have the best representation possible. Heck, OJ is innocent, right?:eek: But as a fan, what I believe, wheter he was drunk or not, I don't agree with the suit, and I will forever stand behind Creed. Like Comedy Central's clip said, they obviously don't remember Stone Temple Pilots.:drunk:

JulieCitySlicker
07-14-2003, 03:19 PM
I agree Goddess;)

Thanks for the update Joy:D

hotforscott
07-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update. You are right Dogstar, they said it in a nutshell. There is no guarantee and you have the right not to purchase future albums and tickets. I totally agree with that. People try something at a resturaunt, they don't like it, so they don't order it ever again, that's their choice. People have different tastes for different things. Some may enjoy it, some may not. That doesn't entitle them to a refund when they are only excercising their right to try something new and decide whether or not it's for them.

Unforgiven Fan
07-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by goddess_bb
Good point Steve, the lawyers are talking and if the plantiffs won image what kind of s--- it would open artists too...??? You could sue if you were just unhappy they didn't sing your favorite song..

that would be bad if that starts to happen.

all we ever think about is suing, suing, suing these days

Bridge of Clay
07-14-2003, 05:29 PM
the Orlando Magic analogy! he took it from me! :lol:
j/k

we all said something like that on those threads... and who made that whore analogy again? ;) that was funny!

Hmm.. is it ok to dislike lawyers??? :D

Aimee
07-14-2003, 07:54 PM
they obviously don't remember Stone Temple Pilots
Or Jim Morrsison
Or Janis Joplin
Or Axl Rose
Or Jimi Hendrix
Or Stevie Nicks
Or (shall we go on?)
And I think, yes this lawsuit would set a HORRIBLE precedence for people to make up reasons to sue their favorite band because of something in the show that offended them (like the eff word). All I can say say is, hey they didn't burn the place down with pyrotechnics and kill a quarter of the crowd. THAT's a legitamite lawsuit. Besides, it's not the fans who should be suing for that night.

hotforscott
07-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Exactly!

TeriB19
07-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Excellent point, Aimee!!

Higher_Desire
07-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by crest tattoo
<b>Creed's attorney, Rob McNeely, described the claim as bunk. "Buying a ticket to a concert does not mean buying an entitlement or a guarantee to any caliber or quality of performance," he said. "And it has to be that way because of the nature of the arts." He compared the lawsuit to an Orlando Magic fan suing the team if Tracy McGrady had an off night and scored only 4 points.

Speaking of album sales, band attorneys argued that if fans are angry, they have "every right not to purchase further albums, CDs and concert tickets" -- but not to get their money back. </b>

Exactly right. Blink 182, for example, suck live. Evey band goes through bad times, and have setbacks, but that doesn't mean that they have to apoligize or refund money for it.

I still stand with Creed.

H-D

luvscott4ever
07-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Yep-Yep!! Creed Rulz!!!

mel!ssa
07-15-2003, 05:05 AM
It's like smokers suing tobacconists or obese people suing McDonald's because they're addicted to their product!!! Uh, don't buy it????

Sheila63
07-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Higher_Desire
Exactly right. Blink 182, for example, suck live. Evey band goes through bad times, and have setbacks, but that doesn't mean that they have to apoligize or refund money for it. &nbsp;

I still stand with Creed.

H-D

I stand with Creed too. Compared to the hundreds, maybe even thousands of great shows they've done, they get sued for one bad night.:mad: I agree with the rest of you that to have this case brought to court would open up a whole new can of worms for the entertainment industry.