Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Brett Hestla [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Brett Hestla

geletmote
12-04-2005, 11:27 AM
I was jsut wondering wats good old Brett Hestla doing these days, u know the fill in bass player for creed, any1 know??

titan9
12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
He's the lead singer for rock band Dark New Day. Their debut album, "Twelve Year Silence" came out earlier this year. It's pretty good; I recommend checking it out. I believe you can listen to streams of their music at www.darknewday.com.

RoffeDH
12-04-2005, 11:44 AM
"good old Brett Hestla"... What?

The Lithium
12-04-2005, 01:15 PM
I am actually listening to Dark New Day right now! They rock! :D

Roffe, Brett Hestla replaced Brian on bass for Creed's tours.

RoffeDH
12-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes... I know... It's not that... I'm just saying, it sounded as if he ment that Brett always were there! That he wasn't just a replacement!

GregS
12-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Brett rocks.. Dark New Day is a band you really gotta to check out.

The Lithium
12-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes... I know... It's not that... I'm just saying, it sounded as if he ment that Brett always were there! That he wasn't just a replacement!
Yeah, one hell of a replacement! Towards the end of Creed, he was almost an official member! Brett ROCKS!!! (Although I am glad to have Brian back in AB. I wonder what AB would be like with Brett on the bass).

evyllsummer
12-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, one hell of a replacement! Towards the end of Creed, he was almost an official member! Brett ROCKS!!! (Although I am glad to have Brian back in AB. I wonder what AB would be like with Brett on the bass).

well, as I posted in the Dark New Day thread, if he had stayed around, Brett would have been the LEAD SINGER...Mark called him first, but, at that time, Brett was wanting to concentrate on producing...

geletmote
12-05-2005, 12:00 AM
well, as I posted in the Dark New Day thread, if he had stayed around, Brett would have been the LEAD SINGER...Mark called him first, but, at that time, Brett was wanting to concentrate on producing...

that would have been interesting, i dont remember his voice been all that pretty lol when he sang a few things with stap at SALT LAKE CITY show 02.. Name me a good song of his atm.

evyllsummer
12-05-2005, 12:53 AM
that would have been interesting, i dont remember his voice been all that pretty lol when he sang a few things with stap at SALT LAKE CITY show 02.. Name me a good song of his atm.

um, well, any of the Virgos albums, the Devine album, or his new band Dark New Day's album...truth is, he's the best singer that Creed ever had...too bad he wasn't singing for them...

RoffeDH
12-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Did Mark actually call him up? I never liked that guy actually, he's probobly a good singer and a nice falla but I think I missed Brian too much!

bobben
12-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Waoh! Corey and Clint Lowery from good-old Sevendust are members of Dark New Day together with Brett! :eek: Well, this has to be good!

evyllsummer
12-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Did Mark actually call him up? I never liked that guy actually, he's probobly a good singer and a nice falla but I think I missed Brian too much!

yes, Mark called him after "Stapp lost his mind"...

Waoh! Corey and Clint Lowery from good-old Sevendust are members of Dark New Day together with Brett! Well, this has to be good!

Yup...when Brett was actually talking to his wife about the prospect of singing again, he told her that it would have to be the Still Rain guys (a band that came on the scene in 1993, which featured Clint on guitar, Troy on guitar, and Corey on bass...also featured a singer that sounded a LOT like Stapp sounds at times, but a full four years before MOP) with Will Hunt on drums...Dark New Day is one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen, and Will is one of the best live drummers I've ever seen...right up there with Mike Portnoy and Neal Peart...

geletmote
12-05-2005, 08:20 AM
um, well, any of the Virgos albums, the Devine album, or his new band Dark New Day's album...truth is, he's the best singer that Creed ever had...too bad he wasn't singing for them...

no way stapp does it for me

The Lithium
12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah problably, you and me wouldn't know of each other! :D

evyllsummer
12-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah problably, you and me wouldn't know of each other! :D

that's true...as I wasn't a Creed fan, and I didn't know about Brett Hestla at the time, I might have been slow to find AB if Brett had been singing...

The Lithium
12-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I guess it's no secret, Myles got you into AB in the first place! :D

evyllsummer
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I guess it's no secret, Myles got you into AB in the first place! :D

you're quite correct, man...oh, and to bring it back to Brett, word around the campfire is that Brett was actually one of the people that suggested to Mark that he should look up Myles...Brett is a fan as well...

geletmote
12-05-2005, 09:54 PM
you're quite correct, man...oh, and to bring it back to Brett, word around the campfire is that Brett was actually one of the people that suggested to Mark that he should look up Myles...Brett is a fan as well...

wat camfire

evyllsummer
12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
wat camfire

just another way of saying "word is"...

Lupe4Myles
12-15-2005, 09:23 PM

^^^^ Yeah that!! Brett is simply amazing. I've just about worn out my DnD cd. Plus, him being a big fan of Myles rules! :jam: :D

guitardude1985
12-15-2005, 10:18 PM
yes, Mark called him after "Stapp lost his mind"...

Yup...when Brett was actually talking to his wife about the prospect of singing again, he told her that it would have to be the Still Rain guys (a band that came on the scene in 1993, which featured Clint on guitar, Troy on guitar, and Corey on bass...also featured a singer that sounded a LOT like Stapp sounds at times, but a full four years before MOP) with Will Hunt on drums...Dark New Day is one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen, and Will is one of the best live drummers I've ever seen...right up there with Mike Portnoy and Neal Peart...

As good as Mike portnoy or Neal Peart? Really, that dam good? I must check these guys out.

evyllsummer
12-16-2005, 01:01 AM
well, as entertaining...I haven't heard enough of him to assess his technical ability, but, like Portnoy, he's fantastic at throwing energy to the crowd...very interactive...

The Lithium
12-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Is he really THAT good? I mean, it doesn't really show in the album. He just seems like a normal rock drummer to me. I think Flip shines more on ODR than Will does on Twelve Year Silence.

evyllsummer
12-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Is he really THAT good? I mean, it doesn't really show in the album. He just seems like a normal rock drummer to me. I think Flip shines more on ODR than Will does on Twelve Year Silence.

well, Will is doing a lot of subtle stuff that you don't hear in a lot of drummers...he's a drummer with flourish, and isn't as committed to the snare as most conventional drummers are...he's more of a cross between Keith Moon and John Bonham...Flip is more of the Bonham school...but, yeah, for example, the DND song "Lean", listen to the part before the second chorus, where Will hits the bell at the top of the ride cymbal (I believe that's what it's called) twice (three clicks each time) to go along with what Clint and Troy are doing on the guitar...also on "Lean", listen to how he keeps adding to the beat as the song is about to end...he does a lot of stuff with the cymbals and the drums other than the snare...now, Flip adds flourish occasionally, such as in the intro to "Metalingus"...the moment when he hits that bell ONCE really sticks out to me, but, again, Flip is more concerned with laying the beat down...Will is good at laying the beat down, but adding the flourishes that are his signature...I could name some more examples of Will doing that on TYS, but I'm so tired...LOL...speaking of Will Hunt, I finally picked up the second Skrape cd, and, if you like DnD, pick that up...it sounds a LOT like DnD...one of the things that makes DnD so great is that they have five songwriters on board, as Will was responsible for a large portion of the writing for Skrape, Brett with the Virgos, Clint with Sevendust, Troy with Doubledrive, and, I assuming, Corey with Stuck Mojo and/or Stereomud...

adparaiki
12-17-2005, 10:27 AM

lol brett as a very weak voice Scott Stapp is a million times the vocalist and songwriter Brett will ever bee

Vliegs
12-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I believe that is your opinion rather than the actual facts of the matter.

The Lithium
12-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Clint with Sevendust.
Yeah, what's up with that? Was the replaced or kicked out of the band? :confused:

evyllsummer
12-17-2005, 03:41 PM
lol brett as a very weak voice Scott Stapp is a million times the vocalist and songwriter Brett will ever bee

yeah, he was doing stuff with the Devine that Stapp has NEVER done and CAN'T do...but, eh, if you just like Stapp's voice better, that's you...

and, Lith, Clint left the band because he wanted to do DnD more...

The Lithium
12-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Come on, honestly... If you like Stapp's voice better, fine... But if you listen to The Great Divide you will notice Stapp's voice i fragile. I mean, he doesn't even hit the notes on Reach Out, and that is VERY bad! It's bad if you can't do it live, but in a studio you can do it over and over again until it sounds good. But obviously Stapp couldn't. I hate to admit it, but it's ture... During most of the Weathered tour, Brett was the best vocalist in Creed.

And Brett has procuded a lot of bands, and is an amazing songwriter. It took 3 frickin' years for Stapp to write 11 songs, (included Relearn Love. And I know you're gonna go: "Stapp was sick", and that's a pretty good excuse. But he ain't better than Brett. It's like comparing Oasis to Beatles. You just know Beatles were better!)

evyllsummer
12-18-2005, 01:34 PM
well, that's one thing about Brett, too, he sounds GREAT live...if he does it on the cd, he's going to do it live...

RoffeDH
12-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Brett's better! Much better! Stapp's voice is cracking, it's been that way since the weathered tour!

The Lithium
12-18-2005, 03:52 PM
well, that's one thing about Brett, too, he sounds GREAT live...if he does it on the cd, he's going to do it live...
Oh, kinda like Myles, then! :D

Brett's better! Much better! Stapp's voice is cracking, it's been that way since the weathered tour!
Yes, that is, unfortunately true.

evyllsummer
12-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Oh, kinda like Myles, then! :D

yeah...but, I will say this: it's easier for Brett to do what he does live than it is for Myles to do what he does live, because Myles does some pretty difficult stuff live...I'm hoping he takes it a little easier on himself next time...

The Lithium
12-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Why? I love to see an entertainer really work! Makes the crowd go wild!

evyllsummer
12-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Why? I love to see an entertainer really work! Makes the crowd go wild!

well, I want Myles' voice to last, and, with songs like "Save Me", "Summergirl", "12/31", "Find The Real", and so forth, Myles has nothing left to prove in terms of his mastery over the upper register, as he has exhibited a control and sustain of the higher register that no other rock singer has in the last 15 years (other than Buckley)...and, as much as I like FTR and SM, my favorite songs on the album are SMS, DTML, and ODR, and he's not REALLY pushing himself on those songs, so, if I were to get a whole album of stuff like that next time, I would be totally happy (I DO love FTR, though)...plus, if he were to take it down a notch for the next album, that would leave room for him to throw in some improvised screams and howls live, anyway...

back to Brett, though, I love Brett's lyrics...I was listening to his Virgos stuff today, and the lyrics to "Gain" are really clever...

RoffeDH
12-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, the word is that he will take it down a notch for the next album...

evyllsummer
12-19-2005, 09:59 PM

yeah, that's the word I heard, too...

Vliegs
12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I thought you said that word here initially Chris?

accckkk....I can't get the smileys to work!

evyllsummer
12-19-2005, 11:11 PM
I thought you said that word here initially Chris?

accckkk....I can't get the smileys to work!

yeah, I think that DH was having a little fun...it's a fun place...

Mrprophetman
12-19-2005, 11:19 PM

Why....in order to save his voice? I thought he was the most technically proficient singer on the freaking planet?

evyllsummer
12-20-2005, 01:43 AM
Why....in order to save his voice? I thought he was the most technically proficient singer on the freaking planet?

well, Geoff Tate has done the same thing, Rob Halford has done it, Robert Plant has done it, Chris Cornell has done it, so, I think it's safe to say that Myles is in good company...too bad Stapp didn't take those steps, however, as, apparently, the barely adequate job he was doing in the first place was too much for his voice to handle, as, these days, it is a poor shadow of his former infamous mediocrity...

The Lithium
12-20-2005, 07:20 AM
He is the best technical rock singer, out there at the moment. But come... He has already made his point!

evyllsummer
12-20-2005, 01:20 PM
He is the best technical rock singer, out there at the moment. But come... He has already made his point!

well, there are a lot of great technical singers in progressive rock right now like Ray Alder, James Labrie, Daniel Gildenlow, and others...the thing that makes Myles so great is his versatility...he has the range, control, and sustain of the progressive guys, but he also has the versatile and soulful approach of guys like Buckley or Marvin Gaye...most of the prog guys are lacking in soul...

RoffeDH
12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
And, he can sing like any other singer... They were requested to sing "Sweer child o' mine" and he sounded exactly like Axl Rose! So he has the technic to manipulate his voice too...

The Lithium
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it's so much fun to see him sing "Rock 'N Roll" live! :D Real Led Zepplin feeling on that one! :D